Notices

991 GT3/RS Futura Owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 02:18 PM
achenator
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts
Default 991 GT3/RS Futura Owners

Have a question for the guys and gals who own a 991 GT3 or RS and use a Futura trailer. Do you still need to use ramps for loading or is FAL enough to get up without them. I am thinking about selling my ATC and moving to a Futura as I’d like to be able to load and unload by myself. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:54 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

I have a supercar - can load my Z/28 with no issues by myself - I use winch can load, tie down and be gone in under 10 minutes. Also have loaded friends 2018 GT3 = that is lowered - but really close - so used 1" x 10" board and give a little more clearance - like how light weight it is and easy to use. Here are photos of the Z being loaded and on the trailer - Z front spoiler extends out about 4" and is 4" off ground - it just clears - good luck - super nice open trailer and super easy to use. They also have an update to the trailer, so all the new ones coming from now forward have some updates that make it even better.

Only issue I have seen is some with GT3 cars have had issues getting enough tongue weight and so are loading backwards to get more weight up front. So I would look for comments on that front as well. May also depend on tow vehicle 1/2 ton full size trucks and 3/4 ton no issues - some smaller suv's more complaints.

I missed my enclosed trailer and just being able to leave all my stuff inside - so picked his up today.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:38 AM
achenator
Racer

Thanks for the info. Does your winch pull from the center of the trailer or is it offset? The problem I have with my ATC is that the winch is centered on the trailer and wants to pull the car to the side the last few feet. I’m looking for the easiest loading solution for when I’m by myself. For instances like when I’m traveling and stopover in a city to see friends and would like to be able to unload my car to drive.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:12 AM
sholzer
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Loading the futura by yourself is a breeze. The winch can be mounted on the left or right, so you won't have the issue with it pulling to the side the last few feet. I can get my GT4 (no FAL obviously) on with very minimal rubbing, it might rub the front lip for an inch or so if that, depends on the angle of the lot.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:24 PM
achenator
Racer

Originally Posted by sholzer
Loading the futura by yourself is a breeze. The winch can be mounted on the left or right, so you won't have the issue with it pulling to the side the last few feet. I can get my GT4 (no FAL obviously) on with very minimal rubbing, it might rub the front lip for an inch or so if that, depends on the angle of the lot.
thanks how are you guys securing the cars? Futura tie downs or something else?
Old 07-24-2020, 09:05 PM
Surfbum
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My 2011 RS rubs slightly and I need a custom ramp I bought from Race Ramps that are 3' long with a 1 & 1/2 " lift for my cup.
Honestly I was surprised I needed the ramps after seeing their ad.
If you notice in their ad, the trailer is not hooked up to a vehicle and they are able to slam the front of the trailer down. I would NEVER load a trailer without the trailer being hooked up to a vehicle.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:28 PM
achenator
Racer

Originally Posted by Surfbum
My 2011 RS rubs slightly and I need a custom ramp I bought from Race Ramps that are 3' long with a 1 & 1/2 " lift for my cup.
If you notice in their ad, the trailer is not hooked up to a vehicle and they are able to slam the front of the trailer down. I would NEVER load a trailer without the trailer being hooked up to a vehicle.
Thanks, well i'm hoping my 19 RS that is coming next week with FAL will make it unencumbered. I guess since the back of the trailer is dragging the ground already that loading without a tow vehicle is ok. I will be by myself most of the time so I plan on using the winch. How are you securing the car, are you towing car loaded forward or backward and any tongue weight issues?
Old 07-27-2020, 08:25 AM
avasaturo
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tow my 16 RS on the Futura with loaded nose first just get the nose as far up as possible and the weight will be over the axles.I use 2 foot long boards to unload but depends on the grade of the area. Great trailer especially for us older fellas.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:18 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfbum
I took my 2004 GT3 to the Futura dealer for a trial load, BUT the trailer was not connected. When I hooked it up to my truck and went to load the trailer, the front spoiler wanted to rub. I had to spend $300 on a set of ramps...I could have used pieces of wood...but that's so tacky .

I have subsequently sold the trailer and now have the last trailer I want to buy, an ATC 250.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:10 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 94 Posts

Have a futura supercar and a 991.2 gt3 with FAL. I have a cup lip and driving in very slowly I barely touch. No need for ramp. I have a 2020 trailer model. Supposedly the loading angle on 2021 is even better.

No issues loading either with trailer hooked up to TV (Cayenne Diesel) or with trailer unhooked. I park the car on the unhooked trailer and drive in and out without problem. Just have some wheel chocks on as suggested on futura trailer manual.

Secure the car with rennline tiedowns.

Enough tongue weight if car driven all way up.

Last edited by aalencar; 10-17-2020 at 01:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
brainzito (11-14-2020)

Quick Reply: 991 GT3/RS Futura Owners