Notices

Building a 28' ATC enclosed trailer, looking for some last minute advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 12:10 AM
Cadaver
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Building a 28' ATC enclosed trailer, looking for some last minute advice

I just submitted the preliminary plans for a new 28' ATC CH405 trailer. So far figured out the colors of the trailer, cabinet, etc. I added a couple items after doing some research here. These include winch box in floor by front cabinets, wall mount 8' tire rack, bogey wheels, electric hitch jack. Other standard items include vented generator box (I will likely use this for fuel storage this year as I don't have any distant trips left this year), escape door. Any other must haves I should consider? Will be carrying either a 991.2 GT3 or a Boxter race car. I have a small rolling tool box I will be taking. Also, currently looking into options for pit transport such as moped or bike, maybe a golf cart if it'll fit.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:48 AM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like you have it covered. The one other thing I would consider is adding another set of floor mounted strap down points in the front of the trailer. My ATC only had 4 strap down points. two in front and two in rear of the trailer. The two in front were too close to the front of the car, especially when pulling a rear engined car as far up as it needs to go. So, I had to add two more strap down points closer to the cabinets in the front of the trailer. Made a huge difference strapping down the car (no more trying to ratchet underneath the front nose of the car. Plus, those will give you some more strap down points for moped or bike.

Good luck and enjoy. Love my ATC
Old 07-09-2019, 02:01 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Here are a few things to consider:

1. Don't forget aero track on the walls and the floor too, it will come in really handy and it is harder to install after the fact. I mounted 2 rows on the walls and floor.
2. D rings should be mounted far apart too so you can pull your straps straight inline with your wheels and not have to cross your straps.
3. You may want to rethink the winch in floor. I have mine mounted in the cabinet and off center so it lines up with my tow ring. Works really well, and I don't to worry about my tow line dragging the floor.
4. I went with the rubber flooring too as it doesn't radiate heat like the aluminum floor.
5. Insulate your ceiling and walls throughout.
6. LED Whelens lights on the exterior. They are so bright and worth the upgrade.
7. I like the side canopy on my trailer but wished I had gone with an electric versus manual version.
8. Solar charger for your battery.
9. Tongue box would be convenient to throw like wheel chocks and other miscellaneous items.
10. Go for the 16" wheels with E rated tires. And, add TPMS to your wheels.

I may have missed some things. LOL
Old 07-09-2019, 10:12 AM
Cadaver
Rennlist Member

Very good suggestions. I think I’ll add the track along the walls and another set of rings closer to the cabinets. I forgot to mention it does have an electric awning and wall mounted spare (instead of in floor). It will be insulated as well. I think that’s standard for the CH405.

Does anyone have a wall mounted tire rack? I’m curious as to where you put it. The dealer suggested on the drivers side wall in front. Are these things worthwhile? Safe? It would ruin my day to see a tire or two come off and land on the hood of my GT3. I’ve seen many use a rolling tire rack secured to the floor as another option.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:16 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

I have 2 rows of track along both walls. One row about 2' above the floor and one about 5'. I run two load bars across the width of the trailer to hold tires. You can adjust the width between the load bars to accommodate for the width of the tires and get them deep into the space between the bars. At the track we pull the wheels down and simply remove the load bars. Very secure and less sheer weight on the walls. I could send pictures if interested. BTW, we do the same on the floor to create a space for 6-8 fuel jugs.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:10 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

If you have a tire rack on the driver side, you may not have enough room because of the escape door. I would rather put them on the passenger side so you have less chance of hitting your head getting in and out of the car.

A number of guys use a rolling tire rack from Irvan Smith. They can customize the size for you as well.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:10 PM
Sboxin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Very good suggestions. I think I’ll add the track along the walls and another set of rings closer to the cabinets. I forgot to mention it does have an electric awning and wall mounted spare (instead of in floor). It will be insulated as well. I think that’s standard for the CH405.

Does anyone have a wall mounted tire rack? I’m curious as to where you put it. The dealer suggested on the drivers side wall in front. Are these things worthwhile? Safe? It would ruin my day to see a tire or two come off and land on the hood of my GT3. I’ve seen many use a rolling tire rack secured to the floor as another option.
Tire Rack: Bolt through the trailer studs to outside to prevent failure onto race car . . .

Regards,
Roy T (crew chief for son's 911 race car)

Last edited by Sboxin; 07-13-2019 at 02:55 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:33 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

think about
a back up camera
stereo?
lights on rear of trailer above door for loading
how about airlines, pre run?
also power outlets. look at locations where you may want to charge things or set up a computer or TV screen for data review
reinforce the side door if you want to attach cabinets or fluid shelves on them
hangers for unused tie down

winch in floor is hard if you have to wheel in tool cart, tire cart and then winch in car. the winch in my 48 foot trailer is actually on the side and then we have a clip in the middle of the trailer to run the line thru.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:03 AM
cienegavista
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 24 foot ATC, spare mounted on the drivers side up front near the cabs, nice and out of the way, no way it is coming off though, very sturdy and I have no worries. I had the dealer in San Jose mount my own winch in the cabinets, out of the way, center mounted.I do have the battery under the cabs next to the winch. If I did it over I would have them put the battery on the tongue outside of the trailer. Not a big deal but it would be much handier for service, disconnecting etc.
I only have one vent, regret not getting two, I have some tracks on both sides on the walls, various length's and heights, pretty handy. Sounds like you have it dialed in though,
I really enjoy my ATC, one of the best moves that I made.
mc
Old 07-10-2019, 10:27 AM
Cadaver
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for the help and suggestions. I’m adding the track along the walls. Two rows on each wall. Then make sure there is an outlet available in a good location for a TV

This is my first trailer build and quickly realizing the sky is the limit to what you can put in these things. I want to keep it clean and free of clutter or excessiveness. But, Dayum! So many cool little gadgets. I need to stop. After the stripper pole and disco ball, of course.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:55 AM
Lou D
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Get the wall mounted track. I also recommend docking lights as an option. They are mounted on the side of the trailer about 2' from the rear and are helpful when backing the trailer into a tight spot in the dark.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:51 PM
Cadaver
Rennlist Member

Picked it up last week. Excited to use it here in a few weeks. I took advice from many here, got the awning, escape door, winch box in floor by front cabinets, wall mount 8' tire rack, bogey wheels, electric hitch jack, winch box in floor, airline track in front of the passenger wheel well, spare mount placed on the wall towards the rear of the trailer. Also had an extra power outlet installed at the cabinets with a TV mount. All in all, quite pleased. Build quality of the exterior is very high, inside (insulated) is also is very good. My only complaint is the cabinets seem a little cheap. But, maybe this is a weight savings concept.

I need to get a generator. My only issue is, I can't find a Honda generator with a 240V receptacle that will fit. Only the 7000V generator has one and it is just a touch too wide

Old 08-25-2019, 09:23 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

try the yamaha 6300 kw.

It should have the plug you want and provide the power you want.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:20 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

i have a 28' atc with the honda 7000eu . i also bought a generator compartment slide. fits in perfecto there isnt a lot of excess room but when you slide it out, ou ahve access to all the plugs etc.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:00 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Congrats and your setup looks great.

Are you going to add a weight distribution and sway hitch?

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Picked it up last week. Excited to use it here in a few weeks. I took advice from many here, got the awning, escape door, winch box in floor by front cabinets, wall mount 8' tire rack, bogey wheels, electric hitch jack, winch box in floor, airline track in front of the passenger wheel well, spare mount placed on the wall towards the rear of the trailer. Also had an extra power outlet installed at the cabinets with a TV mount. All in all, quite pleased. Build quality of the exterior is very high, inside (insulated) is also is very good. My only complaint is the cabinets seem a little cheap. But, maybe this is a weight savings concept.

I need to get a generator. My only issue is, I can't find a Honda generator with a 240V receptacle that will fit. Only the 7000V generator has one and it is just a touch too wide

Quick Reply: Building a 28' ATC enclosed trailer, looking for some last minute advice