Notices

Upgrading used enclosed trailer - what can't be done

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 10:05 PM
Verboden
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Upgrading used enclosed trailer - what can't be done

I tried to make the title useful. I'm in the market for an enclosed trailer and am very open to buying used. What I want to understand is what features can't or are exceedingly expensive to add to an existing trailer. I'm going to assume most things can be added relatively easily (cabinets, etc) and so am focusing on the can't be done.

Specifically
  • escape doors
  • electrical
  • generator area
  • AC - I am guessing if there is a ceiling vent then its relatively easy
These are the obvious (to me) options that could be a problem, please add any others.

Thanks ahead of time.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:36 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

I think it would depend on the interior finish of the trailer. If no removal of wall coverings is necessary, then electrical is easy to add (drilling holes, running wire, etc). Doing the escape door and generator compartment would most likely be cost prohibitive unless you are talking a very expensive trailer. AC is not a big deal on most any trailer with a good roof.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:01 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 393 Likes on 292 Posts

Most AC units ,, use the same size hole as the standard roof vents,, its all the mounting that makes it look big..
Make sure the trailer is a CAR hauler not a toy hauler, the frame on a car hauler is heavier and the flooring is thicker.
I've helped add a second layer of plywood to a couple to make the floor more ridged.

Have the axles checked,, I am not a fan of the torsion axles, had 2 different ones give up and
stick us by the side of the road for a day or two.. Higher weight rating is good, 8 lug have duty axles if you
need to replace them,, its a couple hundred extra but their larger bearings reduce rolling load and
last about 10x the miles of the 2500's that come on a lot of trailers..

Aluminum frame walled trailers are lighter, but if you use it in cold weather the ribs will sweat,
so FRP sheeting is better on the inside so it won't rot.

Make sure the trailer can breath, and not let vermin in.. you should have 2 vents front and rear
to allow some air flow when traveling. The vents are usually at the upper corners and about 4" in
diameter with some airflow covers on them.

Trailers with a fuel door are a bonus.. It's handy for opening to get some extra ventilation.

if you add a window/hatch to a trailer you'll need to open the interior wall, because full need to
add the framing for the window, don't let some trailer shop hack one in, they will just cut the
hole bolt it in and it WILL leak.

I like a good generator box on the tongue of the trailer,, locking sturdy and its outside the trailer
so at the track you don't have to listen to it as much. don't over buy the gen the 2000 Honda is
bulletproof and will run lighting and a small TV/Microwave etc.... The Honda is also quiet for the
times your just hanging out..
Old 06-13-2019, 01:35 PM
Verboden
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Most AC units ,, use the same size hole as the standard roof vents,, its all the mounting that makes it look big..
if you add a window/hatch to a trailer you'll need to open the interior wall, because full need to
add the framing for the window, don't let some trailer shop hack one in, they will just cut the
hole bolt it in and it WILL leak.

I like a good generator box on the tongue of the trailer,, locking sturdy and its outside the trailer
so at the track you don't have to listen to it as much. don't over buy the gen the 2000 Honda is
bulletproof and will run lighting and a small TV/Microwave etc.... The Honda is also quiet for the
times your just hanging out..
By your statement about adding a hatch then it's doable but involved and requires knowledgeable people? Assume I found a trailer that meets my needs except I really want a hatch and this one doesn't have it. Unless I have access to a reputable shop. then the trailer is a pass? But if there is a shop a basic install isn't a problem and the price might be reasonable (based on how the interior is finished, etc).

With the generator setup on the tongue then that would be a relatively simple install since running the wire into the trailer would be the only part that is modifying walls/structure.

Thanks for feedback.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:40 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,576 Posts

I think just like a race car it is cheaper to buy something with most of what you want versus having the work done yourself. It just takes more time to wait for the right deal to show up.

I found a 27 foot trailer that had all the basics I wanted, added a couple of cabinets and other small easy to do myself items, and bought a Honda inverter which I just lug out (30 seconds) instead of having a sliding drawer.

Airconditioning is nice but I tell you I have a large fan and when I sit in front of it for 1 minute I am good. Airconditioning is nice but it draws a decent amount of power and is another thing to maintain. My personal preference is a $40 big harbor freight fan strapped to the side of my trailer.

You can also a post a WTB here on RL and see what shows up.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:24 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

I have no use for AC in my trailer. Reality is that it is body shock going into and out of trailer with AC blasting. Fan with air movement is so much nicer. I am done with generators as solar is so much better, and always there. Battery bank always topped off. Be aware that if you buy an enclosed trailer with exposed studs then you also have exposed exterior skin. Stuff bumping around inside will leave welts outside, and sweating inside can be a problem.
Just post your ideas. Rennlist braintrust will have an answer. Maybe crazy answer, but still answer.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:39 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
I have no use for AC in my trailer. Reality is that it is body shock going into and out of trailer with AC blasting. Fan with air movement is so much nicer. I am done with generators as solar is so much better, and always there. Battery bank always topped off. Be aware that if you buy an enclosed trailer with exposed studs then you also have exposed exterior skin. Stuff bumping around inside will leave welts outside, and sweating inside can be a problem.
Just post your ideas. Rennlist braintrust will have an answer. Maybe crazy answer, but still answer.
That opinion may vary greatly depending upon where a driver lives and/or what tracks they plan to drive. For me, AC is one of the most essential features of my trailer.

Quick Reply: Upgrading used enclosed trailer - what can't be done