Notices

24 vs 28 and any things to avoid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 08:27 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 24 vs 28 and any things to avoid?

Looking at purchasing a trailer this coming week. I've been talking to a few dealers and there are a few ready built 24s around that are pretty nicely equipped. There is one 28 foot that is also very nice. I am looking at Intech and ATC for the most part. My friends have been advising me to stick with the 24" as it is easier to manage and will push my F250 less. Whenever I get on this forum, everyone says to get bigger... As a first time trailer purchaser, I'm not sure what I would do with that extra space. I've looked at a few builds with living quarters and I cannot at this time spend the $10-20k extra that that will add to the build cost.

Are there anythings to avoid that are not worth the cost? The ones that are pre-built that are available for pickup have awnings (heard they are kind of pointless), AC, airline track, etc. Also debating between Icon and Lite... Price difference is around $10k. Most ones pre-built do not have insulation, which seems strange with the AC. I have to decide by Tuesday to make some changes to a 24 due at the end of June.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:39 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Are you racing and need to carry a lot of spares? If not, and only doing DE, then a 24' will work pretty well. You cannot go wrong with either ATC or Intech. Quality is essentially the same and both are really well made. I would go with the dealer that is most responsive and convenient to you. Awning is a nice option as well as airline track on the floor and walls. I don't really use a generator so I could have deleted the generator cabinet and gained another couple of feet of storage area. Also, I would definitely go with insulated walls and ceiling, and I opted for the rubber floor as the aluminum floor generates too much heat and the rubber is more to walk on or to put a knee down.

Another nice option is a winch. I like not having to get in and out of the car while in the trailer.
The following users liked this post:
911Königin (06-21-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 02:03 AM
Sboxin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alexaqui
Looking at purchasing a trailer this coming week. I've been talking to a few dealers and there are a few ready built 24s around that are pretty nicely equipped. There is one 28 foot that is also very nice. I am looking at Intech and ATC for the most part. My friends have been advising me to stick with the 24" as it is easier to manage and will push my F250 less. Whenever I get on this forum, everyone says to get bigger... As a first time trailer purchaser, I'm not sure what I would do with that extra space. I've looked at a few builds with living quarters and I cannot at this time spend the $10-20k extra that that will add to the build cost.

Are there anythings to avoid that are not worth the cost? The ones that are pre-built that are available for pickup have awnings (heard they are kind of pointless), AC, airline track, etc. Also debating between Icon and Lite... Price difference is around $10k. Most ones pre-built do not have insulation, which seems strange with the AC. I have to decide by Tuesday to make some changes to a 24 due at the end of June.
Well . . . . We could use the awning but really haven't felt it is worth the money - we relax/recline/nap inside the trailer or have 2 pop ups . . .
Since it seems everyone is busy I'll give you my opinion - - - in 11 years we have been thru an open trailer and an inexpensive unfinished inside 24' Haulmark steel trailer , both were ok and provided what we needed for race car and some long distance travel ( AZ to COTA longest) - - - but I just purchased a used ATC 24' enclosed with AC, insulated, cabinets, Gen box. 110/12v system - I added Gen, tire rack, gas can rack, wench, battery w/ inverter, helmet shelf, bottle/misc. rack, air compressor, AND electric tongue jack (essential !!) - - we haven't used the AC yet but we don't race in the heat anyway (same as others' winter) . . . we tow with a GMC 2500 Duramax and hauled the Haulmark to COTA at 80mph no problem . . . the ATC tows even better (it does help a lot to use a load leveler with anti sway hitch). . . but one of the most important things about trailers is the tires, brakes and wheel bearings . . .

I've had very good success with Craigslist - it takes time but saves some cash for race tires . . .

Good luck with your trailer purchase and further track adventures . . .

Regards,
Roy T
911Königin (06-21-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 11:55 AM
alexaqui
Racer

Thanks all for the responses. Looks like I am going to have to order, which will delay when I get the trailer. I have been talking to most of the dealers on the east coast (KB, RPM, etc.) and they have all been responsive, if far away from where I live. Most of the builds that are in-stock are loaded up and seem to have some odd choices... AC with no insulation, cabinets over the wheels making the trailer narrower. A lot fo cosmetic upgrades that really drive up the price.

Right now I am doing DE to develop my skills more (just invested in an AIM to focus on me). The plan is to go to race school early next year and see what happens. By next season, I will have 2-3 sets of spare wheels/tires, so that will be an issue as to where to mount them. My concern with the 28" is that it is big and I may not have a good spot to put it. I can fit a 24 in my front driveway fairly easily and no so sure about the 28.

To summarize...
-downgrade to rubber floor for temps
-get airline track
-get AC and insulation
-skip awning
-winch plate/wiring
-electric jack

Also debating if the escape door is worth it. My current car clears the wheel fenders of the trailer.

Thanks all. This is a big purchase...
Old 05-27-2019, 02:25 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

For a DE car that travels with a set of spare tires and some minimal stuff a 20' is easily doable and a 24' is luxurious. For a racecar that requires some spares and more gear/tools, a 20' is possible if well planned, a 24' is a great size, and a 28' is a luxury bordering on overkill unless you intend to travel with pit bikes, golf karts, other big toys.

It is easy to succumb to the advice of just throwing another 4' at the problem but it really is just making it more difficult on yourself from a purchase price, handling, and weight perspective. With that said, I am biased - I look in awe at some of the trailers in this forum but I find a lot of joy in a well-engineered minimalist solution.

-Mark
911Königin (06-21-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 02:32 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I have an escape door but I tend to winch my car in the trailer now as it easier on my back. It is still a very nice option to have though. Also, you can put a tongue box on your trailer to house your generator, and then you have more room to put 2 sets of 4' tire rack holders. That's what I would have preferred to do if I did it again.
911Königin (06-21-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 03:09 PM
alexaqui
Racer

This is great advice. Really appreciate the practical feedback from years of experience. I need this trailer as I am out of room at my house for the moment until I downsize the number of cars I own. I also want it to be usable and meet my needs as I hope to grow into the sport more. I have been using an open trailer for the last 2 years and I'm ready for something enclosed as my car does not have front windows that are easy to put in, etc... I've been fortunate so far that garages were available or the weather has been good at my events so far.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:30 PM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

This was recently posted for sale. Seems like a nice set up and a nice price considering all the options but is a bit older, so condition and maintenance is very important.

https://rennlist.com/forums/trucks-a...l#post15868370
Old 05-28-2019, 09:38 PM
ohenryinatlanta
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

i have a 2001 featherlite. they are well built
Old 06-17-2019, 01:17 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Get the biggest trailer you have room for ...
I'm limited to a 20ft due to parking space restriction ,but i surely could make good use of a 28ft unit if i had the space !
AC is nice if you sleep in your trailer, but then you run your generator all night which might annoy your paddock neighbours.Electric jack is nice and you can buy
on Amazon and install it yourself ... one wire to the battery , cabinets are a great option as well as a good 4500 lb winch.

Eventually you'll want tire racks, fuel jug racks, etc ... that's all stuff that you add as your needs grow !
911Königin (06-21-2019)

Quick Reply: 24 vs 28 and any things to avoid?