Notices

Inspect those tires!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 07:09 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts
Default Inspect those tires!

After loading up my trailer today I did a routine inspection of everything and realized one of my trailer tires had a huge gash in it. It seems deep although the tire hasn't lost any pressure.
My last trip was from GA to MA so I was driving some of it on this tire.
Needless to say I swapped out the tire.
Last year I bought an extra spare tire/wheel mounted from e-trailer and I just did so again. Interestingly the mounted tire/wheel is the same price as buying a replacement tire!
The tire with the slash is only 2 years old with perhaps 6-8k miles on it.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:56 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Inspect and toss them after 3 years, 4 years tops but that is pushing it. Consider cost of new tires vs cost of trailer and contents. Mine were Carlisle 10 ply and a weight class above what was needed. 4 seasons and had appointment to get them swapped out July 5th or 6th. Tire guy bailed and took the long weekend. 4 hour drive to track on a Sunday, 2.5 hours on track. 95 South in NH rush hour traffic coming home and BOOM! Could feel it too and TPMS on truck also sounded alarm. I limped 2 miles in the breakdown lane at 15 mph until I found a maintenance exit hiding behind an underpass, and the gate was busted open. It was the tire on the drivers side so this was perfect and safe place to change the tire. Just as I was finishing the road crew started showing up to grind more of the highway at night. Long ride home wondering if another tire was going to blow.
The following users liked this post:
Coochas (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 11:23 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Long ride home wondering if another tire was going to blow.
That's why I always carry two spare trailer tires.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:49 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lemming
I've got 3!
Old 09-24-2019, 10:31 AM
RJKK
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Time to replace all 4 on my Featherlite 3110 before I head to Texas in October. Any recommendations? Currently came with a China made brand I don't recognize (HI-Run) JK42.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:10 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RJKK
Time to replace all 4 on my Featherlite 3110 before I head to Texas in October. Any recommendations? Currently came with a China made brand I don't recognize (HI-Run) JK42.
I'm sure there are some good threads on this. On my lightweight 1-car I have Goodyear Marathon - only 1 blowout in 8-9 years (2 sets over the years). I believe the replacement tire for that series is Goodyear Endurance.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:49 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
+1

I do the same figuring that if you run over something there is a chance it takes out both tires on one side.

I did get a flat and limped home a few miles on one tire - but that was with an empty trailer.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:40 PM
gerryros
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a 24' Featherlite 4926, all same issues, had a tire blow while on the interstate when it was fully loaded on a hot summer day. I had just bought the trailer used a couple months earlier, had an open Trailex 7541-SB before that with old tires that were getting rough but never had a problem (I told buyer to replace the tires). I quickly learned this is normal trailer stuff - service the hubs and bearings regularly, keep tires covered when stored, carry a couple of spares, replace the tires every 3-4 years. When it was time for me to replace my tires I did a bunch of research after finding there's a pretty limited selection of standard trailer tires, and recommendations were so inconsistent. I trolled the RV threads (esp 5th wheel campers) and found the idea of using light truck tires. I kept the same wheels on my trailer but they can accommodate a different size that is a common LT tire size. I ended up going with all season Cooper Discoverer HTs, LT 245/75 16s. I have been very pleased - they are designed for commercial highway use with light trucks, load range E (10 ply! and inflate to max 80psi which is what is recommended by Featherlite for the trailer), 50k mi tread warranty, quiet, ride smooth, never get hot, look and feel substantial compared to typical trailer tires. I still trust them after 3 years, they still look new. Sure they cost more than trailer service only tires but they are much more durable and I tow more confidently; the piece of mind that brings and solid performance I have gotten make it easily worth it to me. Think about the trailer and what's in it, the added investment is a no-brainier. And, you typically do not throw away your car (or light truck) tires every 3 years solely because of age, I will watch them carefully but I bet I could easily get 6+ years out of these.

Last edited by gerryros; 10-16-2019 at 12:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Inspect those tires!