Notices

Where to get a cheap enclosed 20ft trailer (new or used)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 06:08 PM
ohenryinatlanta
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

all valid points

ive seen something like this used before

all depends on how much work you like to do
Old 06-04-2019, 11:22 PM
kones
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

perfect thread, considering throwing in the towel on always driving to the track...time to start really learning about going down the trailer path...my thanks to the experienced contributors... (and a big plus on the A/C, last weekend was just below 100 and track was 120+...)
Old 06-05-2019, 11:57 AM
YaNi
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Make sure you check the construction on any budget trailers. I got excited there was a new aluminum ATC 24' enclosed trailer for $9500. That's only $1500 more than a basic steel enclosed trailer, so I'm sold.
I went to look at it and found out it's chintzy as hell. All the studs are 24" on center, instead of 16" they should be. It also had 3500lb axles, which severely limits it's potential. To get a properly built ATC aluminum 24' trailer with 5200lb axles is around $14k, which is a huge jump over the steel trailer. Still debating whether it's actually worth the cost difference.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:18 PM
Verboden
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by YaNi
Make sure you check the construction on any budget trailers. I got excited there was a new aluminum ATC 24' enclosed trailer for $9500. That's only $1500 more than a basic steel enclosed trailer, so I'm sold.
I went to look at it and found out it's chintzy as hell. All the studs are 24" on center, instead of 16" they should be. It also had 3500lb axles, which severely limits it's potential. To get a properly built ATC aluminum 24' trailer with 5200lb axles is around $14k, which is a huge jump over the steel trailer. Still debating whether it's actually worth the cost difference.
I bought a really low end open trailer and I can vouch for eyeballing the build quality carefully. Once I got it home I traced the wiring under the trailer and found lots of areas where rubbing would take its toll, etc. I knew what I was getting and had a welder ready to make me sleep better. I am going to sell it soon and know that I will get back close to what I paid for it. And that is the bigger point I wanted to make. Don't just look at the initial trailer price, look at the cost over 5 years or whatever your time horizon is. For example, say you will keep the trailer for 3 years and then likely upgrade. A branded $20K alum might resell for $17K while a noname steel is $13k and resells for $10K. In the end they will cost you the same (time value of money be damned).
Old 07-14-2019, 08:43 AM
jorligan
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Tow weight is important. Car plus steel trailer and additionals and you may be over 7K pounds. My 24 ft Aluma trailer with car (3400) was 5400 lbs on the scale. My brother in law has 28 ft steel frame with car (2500 lbs) and gear at almost 10K lbs. It is amazing how fast the gear weight accumulates. Largest manufacturer of trailers is in Northern Indiana. Carefully go through racingjunk.com and trailers pop up,

Quick Reply: Where to get a cheap enclosed 20ft trailer (new or used)?