Help with trailer size

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 01:38 PM
gnathologist
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with trailer size

Hi guys,

I need your help with a trailer size decision. I'm looking at custom building 32' gooseneck Intech trailer and I'm not sure if I will regret going too small. I know many of you stated to go with the largest as your budget allows, but this will be my first trailer and am somewhat uneasy about towing it.
I'm also looking into 2020 F450 or 2019 Ram 3500.

What do you recommend as far as the size is concerned? Is 40' that much more difficult to haul around?

Do any of you guys regret getting all the amenities as you find you don't use them as much? I want a nice trailer where I can hang out comfortably between sessions. I will be keeping the trailer for a long time.

One last question. Is there a significant cost difference between dealers? I'm currently working with one right now and have not looked into other dealers....

Thanks for your input.

Seung

Old 03-05-2019, 07:54 PM
gnathologist
Intermediate

Never mind. I’m just going to get Futura open trailer and be done with it

Old 03-06-2019, 01:07 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

We went to buy what was advertised as a 40' stacker that turned out to be 44'. We would have preferred the 40' but the 44' has been fine.
You could always split the differene between 32' and 40' and build a 36'. Given that you lose 8' in the gooseneck, a 32' is pretty short on the floor (only 24'). A 36' would give you 28' on the floor.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:59 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Default trailer

Depends on the car you race.

If you are doing a gooseneck anything under 44 feet (where you can haul 2 cars) seems to be too small. A 32 foot bumper pull trailer may be easier to tow. Visibility with a bumper pull is easier too. If the gooseneck is your final answer then bigger is always better and depending on the ceiling height of the trailer that 8 foot area of the gooseneck is amazing for storage and helps keep the trailer clean and organized.

At the end of the day, go with your gut and what you want.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:58 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gnathologist
Hi guys,

I need your help with a trailer size decision. I'm looking at custom building 32' gooseneck Intech trailer and I'm not sure if I will regret going too small. I know many of you stated to go with the largest as your budget allows, but this will be my first trailer and am somewhat uneasy about towing it.
I'm also looking into 2020 F450 or 2019 Ram 3500.

What do you recommend as far as the size is concerned? Is 40' that much more difficult to haul around?

Do any of you guys regret getting all the amenities as you find you don't use them as much? I want a nice trailer where I can hang out comfortably between sessions. I will be keeping the trailer for a long time.

One last question. Is there a significant cost difference between dealers? I'm currently working with one right now and have not looked into other dealers....

Thanks for your input.

Seung
A 32' gooseneck is basically a 24' bumper pull trailer plus an extra 8' in loft. That is about as luxurious as it (reasonably) gets for a single car program - most guys make do with a 24-28' bumper pull and this will tow better and the storage space in the loft is great if you spend the time and energy to maximize it. In my opinion it's overkill but if it's a "want" versus a "need" then it sounds pretty darn nice to me...
-Mark
Old 03-08-2019, 10:59 PM
gnathologist
Intermediate

I guess I’m having a difficult time making decision as I have no idea what it is like to have a trailer.
When I do things, I do not like to take small steps and waste money. I thought about just getting a Futura trailer and be done with it but I know I’m going to miss not having an enclosed area to hang out with my friends between sessions.

Some say to start with an open trailer and gradually move up to an enclosed trailer. I see people here following this route. I’m horrible at selling and usually take a huge hit in the process. Im just not patient enough. I can’t see myself going through buying and selling different lengths of enclosed trailers.

I’m still a beginner in track life but I know I’ll be doing this until I can’t do it anymore.

After talking and contemplating for awhile, I thought I decided to go with GN 40’.
I do need to haul 2 cars, 997.1 GT3 and Exige S. My trailer dealer is saying I can fit them both in GN 40’ but I’ll have to move the lower workbench along the riser wall.

Any experience with hauling 2 cars with 40’? Do I just have to think big and go with 44’?

Again, this is my first time with truck and trailer life. I’m sure I can learn to deal with it.

Woukd be nice to get some of your experiences and inputs.

Thanks...

Old 03-09-2019, 09:40 AM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

40' is too short for two cars - it only leaves you with 16' per car, which means no room for anything else or room to tie them down. 40' is already a big trailer, so going to 44' isn't a big jump. If you're not used to towing, just find a big empty parking lot and practice maneuvering a bit. GN pull much better, are far easier to back up, and length doesn't matter on the highway - only when around town.

If you're somewhat new to this and don't like buying things more than once, I'd recommend you spend a lot of time checking out other people's setups at the track. Nail down what you really want and just make one purchase, unlike most others here (myself included)
Old 03-09-2019, 10:22 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by PGas32
40' is too short for two cars - it only leaves you with 16' per car, which means no room for anything else or room to tie them down. 40' is already a big trailer, so going to 44' isn't a big jump. If you're not used to towing, just find a big empty parking lot and practice maneuvering a bit. GN pull much better, are far easier to back up, and length doesn't matter on the highway - only when around town.

If you're somewhat new to this and don't like buying things more than once, I'd recommend you spend a lot of time checking out other people's setups at the track. Nail down what you really want and just make one purchase, unlike most others here (myself included)
see a post by Dan Jacobs. He has a used 2 car GN for sale at $12.5K
Old 03-09-2019, 10:36 AM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
see a post by Dan Jacobs. He has a used 2 car GN for sale at $12.5K
I stand corrected! Still tight though
Old 03-09-2019, 01:39 PM
gnathologist
Intermediate

Thanks for who have responded and gave me some things to think about.

Im going to spec out 44’ Intech and see where I go from there.

This started as I needed a small trailer to haul my car, then it turned out to this lol.

It surely is a slippery slop.

I’ll keep you guys posted with options and such.

Seung

Old 03-09-2019, 01:48 PM
gnathologist
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jwasilko
We went to buy what was advertised as a 40' stacker that turned out to be 44'. We would have preferred the 40' but the 44' has been fine.
You could always split the differene between 32' and 40' and build a 36'. Given that you lose 8' in the gooseneck, a 32' is pretty short on the floor (only 24'). A 36' would give you 28' on the floor.
How is your 44’ trailer? Are you glad you got the extra 4’?

Seung
Old 03-10-2019, 10:25 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Pulling a trailer forward is moving it the easiest possible way. Backing the sucker up is a different story. GNs back up very different from a bumper pull. Visibility is everything. GN pull better and all I feel with F350 SD is weight. Backing up a GN requires a bit more skill, and experience. Get the max camera package available. F350 SD has 7 onboard cameras and a socket for rear trailer camera + TPMS. TPMS is now a must for me and I toss my trailer tires every 3 years. Just not worth the risk. When you loose a tire with tandem axles the other tire will go in very short order. Or may catch fire. Or blown tire may catch fire. Your one spare tire may allow you to limp to a service station. May is key word. Been there, done that.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:28 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

The extra 4' is not all that usable in this trailer. If we were rolling in a toolbox or tire cart or golfcart in the back, it'd be usable space, but for us it's not needed.
The trailer was used (and cheap!) so I'm not too unhappy.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:57 PM
gnathologist
Intermediate

Hi guys,

i put a deposit down to start the process of building a 44’ Intech GN.
I’ll update you on the options and all the bells and whistles going into the trailer.
I’m beyond excited to clip some trees/curbs/mailboxes with this beast.

This is is my first trailer and I hope I learn to love hauling it.

I took the advise of Mooty preaching to go with 40-44’ GN and be done with it

Thanks for all who have put in efforts to make this decision with me.

Seung

Old 03-11-2019, 09:03 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Now it’s time to go truck shopping!

Quick Reply: Help with trailer size