Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Trucks and Trailers (https://rennlist.com/forums/trucks-and-trailers-239/)
-   -   Your towing experience with 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Longhorn Edition Pickup (https://rennlist.com/forums/trucks-and-trailers/1128151-your-towing-experience-with-2013-ram-1500-crew-cab-laramie-longhorn-edition-pickup.html)

analogmike 02-07-2019 11:36 PM

Your towing experience with 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Longhorn Edition Pickup

Hi,

A good friend is selling her truck as they don't use it much. They never towed with it, has 55000 miles. Worth about half of the new price, $24K.
I think it has all the options I would need for towing my trailex open trailer and my 24' ATC enclosed.

275/60/20" tires, 8 speed automatic, 3.92 axle, LSD, tow mirrors, Active Air Suspension, Class IV hitch, trailer brake control.

I know a diesel is better, and some people only like F or C brand... don't need to hear that. But how will this RAM do for occasional use?
Anything I should change or add?
I have been using a Touareg which is not really suitable for the ATC but was ok for short trips, and perfect for the Trailex.

Thanks for any feedback!

bgiere 02-08-2019 02:40 PM

We have a 1500 RAM with the 5.7 Hemi...We tow a two horse trailer and a 20 fott enclosed with it regularly. It is fantastic.

analogmike 02-08-2019 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by bgiere (Post 15625097)
We have a 1500 RAM with the 5.7 Hemi...We tow a two horse trailer and a 20 fott enclosed with it regularly. It is fantastic.

thanks for the feedback!

Glyndellis 02-08-2019 07:35 PM

My Ram tows my E46 on a Uhaul trailer without drama. Staying at around the speed limit, I get around 15mpg from Pittsburgh to Mid Ohio.

ExMB 02-08-2019 08:00 PM

Does it have the larger fuel tank? If not, you'll be stopping every 150 miles or so to get fuel when towing your ATC (~ 7.5 mpg +/- depending on speed and environment).

HoBoJoe 02-11-2019 03:28 PM

I owned a 2005 1500 5.7 from 213k-230k miles and it handled my 20ft enclosed really well, 6 events a season for 2 seasons plus a little running around. So in 2 years I probably towed 1500-2k miles with it and it never let me down. However, i did upgrade to a 2500 and will never look back. I get worse towing mileage in the 2500 but that's because it's much more comfortable so I tend to accelerate faster and maintain higher speeds. Luckily the fuel tank is bigger too.

What's that mean to you? a 2013 Hemi with 3.92s should be rated around 10,000lb towing and with air suspension it should handle sag way better than any other factory half ton. The hemi engine is great and there were a lot of improvements in 2013 to the interior and ride quality. The best way to know is to see if they'll let you hitch up and drive around with the truck for a bit to see how it feels. You can probably find a 2500 in that price range as well, but you'll be looking at more like 80-100k miles on it.

SWK6Cup 02-11-2019 06:20 PM

Hi Mike:

I am sure that your Ram will handle the occasional tow, just fine. Will it be ideal? Not really, and many will tell you you need a diesel or at least a 2500/3500. This is my 2nd Ram 1500 with the Hemi engine. This one has the air ride, which is self leveling, which is a huge improvement over my first one. I tow (6+/- times per season) a 23' enclosed aluminum trailer. even with the 8 speed transmission, my tall trailer, say from Saratoga to the Glen gets about 6-7 miles per gallon and that is cruising around 65-70. Always have to think in advance and use your head, brake early.....but with the correct bias ( trailer does the braking, not the front brakes in the truck)...and I don't chew through rotors or brake pads.....but it is thirsty!!!!!! Not like a diesel, for sure. I've been to VIR and Mosport and the truck has never let me down.........any questions, give me a shout....GL....I don't think you will be disappointed.....
R\
Scott

analogmike 02-11-2019 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by ExMB (Post 15625832)
Does it have the larger fuel tank? If not, you'll be stopping every 150 miles or so to get fuel when towing your ATC (~ 7.5 mpg +/- depending on speed and environment).

Good question, yes it has the 32 gallon fuel tank :)

Originally Posted by SWK6Cup (Post 15631983)
This is my 2nd Ram 1500 with the Hemi engine. This one has the air ride, which is self leveling, which is a huge improvement over my first one. I tow (6+/- times per season) a 23' enclosed aluminum trailer. even with the 8 speed transmission, my tall trailer, say from Saratoga to the Glen gets about 6-7 miles per gallon and that is cruising around 65-70. Always have to think in advance and use your head, brake early.....but with the correct bias ( trailer does the braking, not the front brakes in the truck)...and I don't chew through rotors or brake pads.....but it is thirsty!!!!!! Not like a diesel, for sure. I've been to VIR and Mosport and the truck has never let me down.........any questions, give me a shout....GL....I don't think you will be disappointed.....
R\
Scott

Thanks for the feedback!

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe (Post 15631548)
I owned a 2005 1500 5.7 from 213k-230k miles and it handled my 20ft enclosed really well, 6 events a season for 2 seasons plus a little running around. So in 2 years I probably towed 1500-2k miles with it and it never let me down. However, i did upgrade to a 2500 and will never look back. I get worse towing mileage in the 2500 but that's because it's much more comfortable so I tend to accelerate faster and maintain higher speeds. Luckily the fuel tank is bigger too.

What's that mean to you? a 2013 Hemi with 3.92s should be rated around 10,000lb towing and with air suspension it should handle sag way better than any other factory half ton. The hemi engine is great and there were a lot of improvements in 2013 to the interior and ride quality. The best way to know is to see if they'll let you hitch up and drive around with the truck for a bit to see how it feels. You can probably find a 2500 in that price range as well, but you'll be looking at more like 80-100k miles on it.

Good idea, I think she will let me do that, after a normal test drive.

Thanks!

LuigiVampa 02-12-2019 10:59 AM

I think the more generic question is not the make of the truck (Dodge, Ford, Chevy, etc.) but rather whether you want light, medium of heavy duty. You can debate gas versus diesel but I think the most important item is whether you are buying an SUV based truck versus a proper truck.

I towed a steel 27 foot closed trailer with a Inifiniti QX56 (big SUV with a big 8 cylinder engine) and went through two transmissions, and even with a weight distribution hitch it was not always a pleasant ride.

A light duty truck, such as a 1500 or F150, is really an SUV with a truck bed. With an open trailer or 23 foot aluminum trailer you are going to be fine. If you ever get a bigger trailer, or tow with steep hills, you will wish you had a 3500 or F350

That being said, I bought the most basic model Ford F350 diesel with about 40k miles on it a few years ago and have never looked back. If you get "more truck" you never have to wonder if it will be up to the task.

Good to hear from you Mike!

ExMB 02-12-2019 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa (Post 15633406)
A light duty truck, such as a 1500 or F150, is really an SUV with a truck bed.

Which came first: the truck or the truck based SUV that covered the bed? :p

The only light duty truck (?) that I know off that is classified a SUV is a Chevy Avalanche. At least according to my neighbor who says that what it shows on his insurance paperwork.

LuigiVampa 02-12-2019 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by ExMB (Post 15634667)
Which came first: the truck or the truck based SUV that covered the bed? :p

The only light duty truck (?) that I know off that is classified a SUV is a Chevy Avalanche. At least according to my neighbor who says that what it shows on his insurance paperwork.

I am talking about a "comfort" suspension found in SUVs and shared by light trucks, versus the heavy duty suspension found in F350s, 3500s and the like.

What came first? I dunno, but both SUVs and light trucks are generally ill suited for anything other than light towing.

If you get into state and/or insurance classification you are opening a quagmire. States like Connecticut classify a personal use F350 pickup us a "combination" use vehicle and it costs more to register the vehicle. It is all about the money.

DFWCanuck 02-12-2019 10:03 PM

I have the 2014 set up as yours and rated for 10k lbs - tows an enclosed 24' with a gt3 not a problem. Have antisway set up and load distribution setup for the hitch and I hardly know it's there. Does burn some gas when returning from VIR but I also DD it so I'm very happy with the Laramie limited interior package with leather etc. 59k miles and regular maintenance only so far.

LuigiVampa 02-13-2019 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by DFWCanuck (Post 15635092)
I have the 2014 set up as yours and rated for 10k lbs - tows an enclosed 24' with a gt3 not a problem. Have antisway set up and load distribution setup for the hitch and I hardly know it's there. Does burn some gas when returning from VIR but I also DD it so I'm very happy with the Laramie limited interior package with leather etc. 59k miles and regular maintenance only so far.

That's one of the nice things about a lighter duty truck - they make better DD as the ride is more comfortable. The F350's ride is like a big heavy truck - not very comfortable.

skxf430 02-13-2019 03:06 PM

My Chevy 2500HD rides like a sedan. Really comfortable and not a stiff ride at all.

analogmike 02-13-2019 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by DFWCanuck (Post 15635092)

Thanks for the feedback! She says it's their most comfortable vehicle to drive.