Notices

Post a picture if your truck + trailer combo!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 03:55 PM
Obturate
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan

If you pulled up with a cup car towed by that “heap,” I’d say that you’re a smart man and know where to put your money! And I’d be insanely jealous!
I'll second that!
Old 03-08-2019, 03:11 PM
CrazyFast
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another vote for uHaul!

Old 03-11-2019, 07:40 AM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 100 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Manda Racing (11-02-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 03:18 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 151 Posts
Red face

Crazy Fast- scary placement of that front net ???? I know they are fixed on the u-haul but the net is design for downward pressure on both sides. Should be on top of wheel

I always look at trailering like boat docking. Most issues happen around the docks
Old 03-11-2019, 03:23 PM
CrazyFast
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
Crazy Fast- scary placement of that front net ???? I know they are fixed on the u-haul but the net is design for downward pressure on both sides. Should be on top of wheel
The ratchet is in front of the tire (slides to adjust to your track width). The anchor points are behind the tire on either side, so it cradles the back with the straps you see, and then goes over the top of the tire and down the front. It's very secure.

I also did my own straps on the rears, which uHaul doesn't require. They do have some safety chains that are supposed to go over the axles which I didn't want to use.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:37 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by cstyles
Nice rig but man that looks cold.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:41 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
Nice rig but man that looks cold.
Cold? This is a regular mid summer track weekend @ Mosport
Old 03-11-2019, 11:37 PM
JRMaroon
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JRMaroon

Here is the towing setup I ran for the last two years. This rig has been replaced by a 2009 Chevrolet Kodiak Ambulance which will make it's maiden voyage in April.
First test run with the Kodiak and empty trailer after wiring lights and brakes. Will load the car Friday for a short run to the shop.
Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2019, 08:38 AM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

First test run with the Kodiak and empty trailer after wiring lights and brakes. Will load the car Friday for a short run to the shop.
While undoubtedly cool, what was your reasoning for a setup like this as opposed to a regular pickup and a 24ft enclosed trailer?
Old 03-13-2019, 07:56 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyFast
Another vote for uHaul!

Towed my GT3 with a Uhaul a couple weekends ago. They are definitely not the nicest trailers, but once you build some wood stands for the front wheels, they work pretty well.

Originally Posted by BillNye
While undoubtedly cool, what was your reasoning for a setup like this as opposed to a regular pickup and a 24ft enclosed trailer?
Wondering the same thing.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:30 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,379 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by RossP
Wondering the same thing.
(sarcasm) The Kodiak probably has a cod in it to save on hotel rooms plus it has lights to get through traffic. (/sarcasm)
Old 03-14-2019, 12:06 AM
BillNye
Racer

Originally Posted by ExMB
(sarcasm) The Kodiak probably has a cod in it to save on hotel rooms plus it has lights to get through traffic. (/sarcasm)
If it's good enough for Burt Reynolds...
The following users liked this post:
Battman991 (03-26-2021)
Old 03-17-2019, 03:42 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 97 Posts

Looong Bed 2500 with 24 foot steel trailer. Use WD hitch
Old 03-17-2019, 10:36 PM
JRMaroon
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No surprise, I've been asked this before and there are a few reasons for the odd choice. The steep approach to my driveway limits what I can park at home and even the 20' open trailer drags the tail going in and out. Yes, I do camp in the rig when my wife, who also drives, does not join me at the track. An air mattress on the floor makes for a nice bed. For comfort I've mounted a portable air conditioner, the type you would use in a home and roll from room to room. The insulated box is easy to cool, even on the warmest days at the track. The lockable exterior compartments are great for organizing and hauling tools, parts, generator, tent, race ramps, etc. Finally, have you priced used ambulances? Due to the fact that there aren't many uses for an out of service Ambo, this is a lot of truck for the money.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:17 AM
BillNye
Racer

No surprise, I've been asked this before and there are a few reasons for the odd choice. The steep approach to my driveway limits what I can park at home and even the 20' open trailer drags the tail going in and out. Yes, I do camp in the rig when my wife, who also drives, does not join me at the track. An air mattress on the floor makes for a nice bed. For comfort I've mounted a portable air conditioner, the type you would use in a home and roll from room to room. The insulated box is easy to cool, even on the warmest days at the track. The lockable exterior compartments are great for organizing and hauling tools, parts, generator, tent, race ramps, etc. Finally, have you priced used ambulances? Due to the fact that there aren't many uses for an out of service Ambo, this is a lot of truck for the money.
I have casually priced them because I used to think I wanted a setup like this, but came to a different conclusion about price. Seemed like the only ones that were a good deal were very/old high miles, which isn't necessarily a problem, just a risk I'd rather avoid.
I didn't think about the box being insulated, probably quite nice. I'm a little surprised that it wasn't already air conditioned now though.

When I was looking it seemed like none of them were set up to have a hitch, did yours have a hitch or did you have to make one? Pics?

Any idea what it weighs and the towing capacity? I was only looking at 3500 based units, but I seem to remember that the upfit was relatively heavy and impacted the towing capacity more than I desired. Probably less of an issue with a medium duty based unit.

Quick Reply: Post a picture if your truck + trailer combo!