Notices

Post a picture if your truck + trailer combo!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 07:00 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by faizaan2000

Need to lower the tongue but just picked this up.
great trailer!
Old 09-17-2020, 11:23 PM
okroger
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Picked up a new ram half ton recently and want to grab an enclosed hauler.
not looking to break the bank. What am I looking for besides length and trailer weight?
I'm fairly handy so have no issue tackling stuff myself if it helps keep cost down. If it's one of those things that's easier straight from the getgo, I'm all ears.

Cheers
Old 09-18-2020, 09:16 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

Last run this weekend for my Trailex....my Haulmark 24' enclosed arrives next week.

Old 09-19-2020, 01:24 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by okroger
Picked up a new ram half ton recently and want to grab an enclosed hauler.
not looking to break the bank. What am I looking for besides length and trailer weight?
I'm fairly handy so have no issue tackling stuff myself if it helps keep cost down. If it's one of those things that's easier straight from the getgo, I'm all ears.

Cheers
Just grab a used steel enclosed if you want to save the most money, and repair and improve as needed. Racing junk, local classifieds, and ask around at the track.

Another good way is to get a new but mostly unfinished trailer of the caliber you like and then add all the finishes you want yourself. Try to check out the build quality of major brands at a large trailer store. New basic 8.5x24 steel trailers will be under $10k depending on equipment. Usually you’ll get what you pay for so try to decide what you do and don’t care about and spend accordingly.

My first trailer is a steel interstate 8.5x20. I still have it. I bought it from a fellow racer for $4500 and it came with cheap cabinets including a tire storage cabinet, a harbor freight toolbox, and white interior walls. Also a plywood floor, some surface rust, and some scuffs and scrapes. So I cleaned it up some and epoxied the floor. Gets the job done, very cheap, looks fine - great first trailer.

I recently added a near zero option new Featherlite 8.5x20 that I got at cost (~$15k). It’s much nicer than the interstate 8.5x20 in nearly every way, but for the cost it should be. Eventually it will replace the interstate but I use both of them now.

And as an alternative, sometimes an ugly/worn toy hauler or RV will sell for next to nothing. Three of the local NASA guys bought something like this - they’re in their 20s sharing a Miata race car. Nice guys trying to find a way to enjoy this expensive hobby on a razor thin budget. They saved a lot of money by getting a breaking bad style toy hauler.

Last edited by ace37; 09-19-2020 at 01:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
okroger (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 10:55 PM
okroger
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Appreciate the info, Ace. Curious, what made you stick with the 20' and not jumping up to the 24' that seems incredibly common in this thread?
I'm leaning towards the 24' since the delta is a few hundred bucks versus the 20' in the stripped down versions I'm looking at. Not sure what I'd need the extra 4' for, but better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it is how im approaching it.

Originally Posted by ace37
I recently added a near zero option new Featherlite 8.5x20 that I got at cost (~$15k). It’s much nicer than the interstate 8.5x20 in nearly every way, but for the cost it should be. Eventually it will replace the interstate but I use both of them now.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:49 AM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 165 Posts

Appreciate the info, Ace. Curious, what made you stick with the 20' and not jumping up to the 24' that seems incredibly common in this thread?
I'm leaning towards the 24' since the delta is a few hundred bucks versus the 20' in the stripped down versions I'm looking at. Not sure what I'd need the extra 4' for, but better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it is how im approaching it.
If you're planning on carrying anything with you like tools, generator, pit bike, wheels... you definitely want to seriously consider going with a 24'.

Todd
Old 09-22-2020, 06:01 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Right off, I don’t want a dedicated tow rig. Our family vehicle, a diesel Range Rover Sport, can do the job and I already have too many vehicles. The Rover is on air and does ok pulling the weight, but compared to a big pickup the wheelbase is short and the vehicle is very light at under 5000 lbs. Because of that, I can feel it (and prefer it) if the trailer is 500lbs lighter and 4’ shorter. So while I want a comfortable trailer size, I don’t want a lot more space than I’ll use.

The other side is my size needs. The Boxster isn’t large and I just don’t like to bring along a whole lot of stuff. If I think I’ll need more than basic tools and a set of tires I’m inclined to get trackside support. With my interstate 8.5x20’ trailer I have a toolbox, tire box, and storage cabinets in front, and I have a few feet of empty space in front of and behind the Boxster. It’s fine for me and I’ve never wished for more space.

The Featherlite has a v-nose that gives it a bit of extra room in the box compared to the interstate’s flat nose, and the front is empty so right now it’s a lot bigger inside. I’m leaning towards using a rolling pit cart for tools rather than permanent cabinets, and I’ll need to wall mount or vertically store a set of tires. That’s about all the floor space I’ll need - I’ll wall mount fuel jugs, my suit/helmet/gear, and any other accessories that I don’t leave in the pit cart. To get around at the track I’d rather take a bicycle or an electric scooter/hoverboard than a golf cart, and since I don’t live in the south I don’t think an AC/generator system is worth the trouble of maintaining. So for me there’s really not much else I’d like to carry - the 20’ v-nose trailer has plenty of space - so why go any bigger when it’s slightly more of an annoyance to tow.

You’re not me though. With 20’ versus 24’ I bet you’ll recover all or most of the cost difference in resale so it’s really more about what you prefer to tow around. If you have a larger race car, you tow with a big pickup, or you’d like a lot of that gear that I find I don’t use, you’ll probably be happy with the extra space.

Last edited by ace37; 09-22-2020 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:40 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Consider the ease of resale one day. Lots more people looking for 24' trailers than 20' ones.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:41 PM
vintage914racer
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

After ten or so years with a big and heavy, albeit well equipped, steel trailer, I fell upon a good deal on a similarly sized Featherlite. I’ve lusted after new ATCs for years, but just couldn’t justify the new trailer of my dreams given the handful of events each year. So, this trailer is a great way to get the aluminum trailer I’ve always wanted on a reasonable budget. I’ve got plans to upgrade the electrical, interior lighting and perhaps add an AC unit. New tires are also in order.

Old 11-13-2020, 12:11 PM
skeeler
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Duplicate post.

Last edited by skeeler; 11-13-2020 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:49 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Ak47si
nice set up!!! I am planning to do the same for my Zenos 10s. What brand of trailer is this one and how much you paid ? Thanks in advance.

Sorry I missed your post. My trailer is an EZ Hauler aluminum - I think it was about $7800usd (I bought in Canadian dollars).

-Mark
Old 03-24-2021, 01:32 AM
CX_GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 46 Posts

The following users liked this post:
VRYALT3R3D (07-06-2021)

Quick Reply: Post a picture if your truck + trailer combo!