Notices

Featherlite 3110 with 997.1 C2S

Old 02-18-2019, 01:46 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by tgsmith4845
While towing my 997.1 GT3 on my Featherlite, I had a 7 tire tire rack, diamond plate air dam, and large tool box mounted up front. That added some nice weight up front so I could load the GT3 facing forward and still have plenty of tongue weight.

Wow, that's nice! What is the length of the bed of that trailer? Are those add-ons from featherlite or somewhere else?
Old 02-18-2019, 02:58 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by aryork
Wow, that's nice! What is the length of the bed of that trailer? Are those add-ons from featherlite or somewhere else?
typical 3110 trailer, 18’. The tire rack was a custom build. I added the diamond plate myself. Tool box was from Tractor Supply Co.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:49 AM
lebby83
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Verboden
I painted a 1" line down the length of my trailer as a reference for the driver's side tire(s). So when I load/unload the tire should be just inside the line. It not only positions the car in the center, it mildly forces you to keep the car straight. It can get very squirrelly trying to unload if the car isn't on straight. To watch the line I use a little hand held mirror held outside the window both loading and unloading.

@tgsmith4845 mentioned using a 2x4 drive over chock. I made some taller chocks so they shouldn't be driven over and mounted them at the front of the trailer. Next to these chocks I have 2x4 sections facing parallel to the trailer positioned just outside of where the tires will sit. They are bolt down if I need the trailer for something besides the car. So between the line and the front chocks the car is positioned very close to the same way very time. The chocks and 2x4 act to hold the front. For the rear I cross the tiedowns.
Originally Posted by aryork
That's a great idea! My trailer is pretty narrow so I only have about 3-4 inches on each side, but it still could help. My squirrelly part is getting on since I go rear first. Although at my house it is less of an issue because my driveway slope makes it so I can back straight onto the trailer (ramps are parallel to ground) so it is less of an issue to get it lined up. Of course, at the track that's not the case.
Great comments and a great idea.

Originally Posted by tgsmith4845
While towing my 997.1 GT3 on my Featherlite, I had a 7 tire tire rack, diamond plate air dam, and large tool box mounted up front. That added some nice weight up front so I could load the GT3 facing forward and still have plenty of tongue weight.

Great set up. I think I am going to order the Traillex tire rack at some point.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:31 PM
lebby83
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I finally put the 997 on the trailer for the first and last time. This was the day before I dropped her off to her new owner. Will miss her but had to move on. I'll be keeping the trailer and have another question. I want to try and quiet it down a bit, especially when it's empty. I was thinking about lining the area where the ramps are with a felt like material. Has anyone done any modifications to quiet the trailer down? It could be that I'm just not used to an aluminum trailer. I had a picture of it on the trailer but having trouble loading it.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:15 PM
Verboden
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lebby83
So, I finally put the 997 on the trailer for the first and last time. This was the day before I dropped her off to her new owner. Will miss her but had to move on. I'll be keeping the trailer and have another question. I want to try and quiet it down a bit, especially when it's empty. I was thinking about lining the area where the ramps are with a felt like material. Has anyone done any modifications to quiet the trailer down? It could be that I'm just not used to an aluminum trailer. I had a picture of it on the trailer but having trouble loading it.
Whatever responses you get regarding materials keep in mind that where you tow and how you store it will make a difference on how long the material will last. My trailer is outside in desert heat, I doubt anything that would aid in sound deadening would survive on mine for long.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Featherlite 3110 with 997.1 C2S