Notices

Futura Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 04:05 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I spoke with futura about this issue at PRI, and they told me, there is a longer version of the "supercar" trailer coming out.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:36 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Another thought. What are you loading into the SUV? Normally anything placed behind the rear axle counts as tongue weight.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:50 PM
VID997
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Back of the Escalade “XL” was fully loaded. I had a full set of rains mounted and ready to go. A medium to small tool box load with everything needed to perform emergency paddock service/work, jack stands, a full size “Tirerack” jack floor jack, and 8 boxes full of Team & Club clothing to deliver. Not to mention all the standard overnight/weekend travel goods...food, drink, driving gear, clothing, etc....
Old 04-18-2019, 02:11 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,597 Likes on 879 Posts

I’m thinking about selling my Tandem Axle Futura trailer. I’ve used it for two trips... car show related. Thought I would use it more than I do, but I don’t.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:30 AM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
I’m thinking about selling my Tandem Axle Futura trailer. I’ve used it for two trips... car show related. Thought I would use it more than I do, but I don’t.
PM me with details - model etc. price and location
Old 04-18-2019, 01:27 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Default A price would

Be nice. Did you mention where the trailer is located, and the Futura options?
Old 04-18-2019, 03:40 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,597 Likes on 879 Posts

Trailer is located in Portland, Oregon.

Here are the details from my Purchase Invoice:
  • Tandem Axle Electric Low Loader - Aluminium chassis 100%
  • GVM 7000lb
  • Deck Size 16'5" x 783⁄4“
  • 6005 Aluminium Chassis and Deck
  • 14" 8 ply alloy wheels and tyres
  • Electric winch to raise and lower trailer
  • LED lights
  • Heavy duty jockey wheel
  • 2 x recessed lashing rings at rear of deck
  • 2 x tie point on drawbar
  • Electric brakes to both axles
  • 30AH Gel deep cycle battery
  • Trickle charger which is powered by the tail lights
  • Winch and battery enclosure box
  • Solar panel charger
Options
  • Thermoplastic Stone Guard

Thinking $9000 for price.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:47 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by VID997
Back of the Escalade “XL” was fully loaded. I had a full set of rains mounted and ready to go. A medium to small tool box load with everything needed to perform emergency paddock service/work, jack stands, a full size “Tirerack” jack floor jack, and 8 boxes full of Team & Club clothing to deliver. Not to mention all the standard overnight/weekend travel goods...food, drink, driving gear, clothing, etc....
Where were the heavy items located? In front or behind the rear axle?
Old 04-18-2019, 09:04 PM
JR1946
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

JR1946,

The MAC VersaTie Tracks mount to the trailer floor, they have smooth rounded edges, you can just drive right over them. The anchor points/attachments are spring loaded quick release units. You just loosen the ratchet and then release anchors from the track. It’s super quick and efficient. I have some new bits arriving this week. I can post all the details once V2 arrives and has been tested.

My friend has a Supercar trailer for his 991 GT3RS. He has a spare tire, winch, and the larger tire rack. When he pulls on (forward) he is seeing very low tongue weight as well; just a tick over 200lbs using my “new” Weight-safe” receiver/hitch. No tires on the rack and only 3 gallons of fuel in the tank. He ordered a Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight scale today. We hope to test both set-ups (997 & 991, nose first) this weekend if everything arrives in time. He is also going install my MAC set-up on his trailer as well.
VID997,
Thanks for that information! The MAC VersaTie Tracks mounts look great and would be easy to install forward & aft of the wheels on my trailer. Currently, I am thinking of buying a 4 foot long section of "VersaTie Track (series 3)" and cutting it into the 8 mounts I would need. Then I would use the MAC "Double Stud Idler" aft of the wheels and MAC "Double Stud Fitting" forward of the wheels like you have. Will reuse my current Futura straps by adding the MAC "Tire Blocks" with the tire tread lock features. This would only cost about $162 plus my time and some mount hardware.

VID997,
Two items: I do have the spare tire option hanging under the from of the trailer helping the tongue weight. I would agree that the Escalade aft loading would be a handling negative. An alternate tongue weigh measurement method would be a good next step and a stabilizing hitch or upgrading the Escalade rear suspension.
JR1946
Old 01-03-2020, 06:34 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Eat some crow?

Sold the Futura and went back to the ATC 20' enclosed. I needed a place to store tires, etc. Paid about $13,000 for it, sold it for a $10,000...had it about a year.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:50 PM
Cciafox950
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still for sale?
Old 11-11-2020, 01:06 AM
johndong888
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Not a porsche

Was doing a lot of research on Futura Trailer and Tie downs. Wanted to add info here for those interested.

My trailer is a 2021 Super Sport 16.5 version. I have the winch+rock guard+spare tire+Shift R over the tire tie down. This tie down is NOT good if you do not have enough wheel clearance to tie down the car. I ended up getting another set of tie-downs from Macs Custom (Pro Pack Direct Hook Ratchet Premium 40” 6ft Strap). 6FT is a bit long for a trailer that’s only 16.5’. I *think* a 5ft or maybe a 4ft would have been perfect. The Macs Custom Ratchet is AMAZING!!!!! I can’t reiterate this enough. It’s buttery smooth.

I don’t have a Porsche yet. Thinking about adding one next year. I measured the trailer for when I had a Huracan and it cleared the fenders perfectly. Naturally for my current car I have to remove one fender cover LOL.

So far this trailer has been a blast to use. Tows amazing with the gwagon. I also have a weight safe hitch. I back the car on to achieve the 10-15% tongue weight. I have not tried it forward loading. Reverse loading if prefer for me since it’s much easier to unload.

The following users liked this post:
heshalosny (03-20-2021)
Old 11-11-2020, 08:05 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

So I wonder if weigh safe underestimates tongue weight.

Towing a 991.2 GT3 with a Cayenne Diesel on a Futura supercar. Dont have tire rack or rock guard.

If I put car forward first on a more “normal position” I get around 300 lb on weight safe. Less than half tank of gas. Putting the car forward a little more increases a little, maybe 350 lb on weight safe. The Cayenne pulls it really well in that position.

Still uneasy with the low tongue weight so put the car really forward to try to reach 400 lb on weigh safe (lip pretty sitting on top of that wench box) and the front of the Cayenne felt a little too loose for my taste.

So I got one of those better weigh sensors that gives weigh based on suspension position through obd2 and that gave me 400 lb when weigh safe was giving 300 lb. God knows which is more accurate but I did not really like how the Cayenne towed at weigh safe’s 400 lb at tongue.

thoughts?
Old 11-12-2020, 02:56 AM
johndong888
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aalencar
So I wonder if weigh safe underestimates tongue weight.

Towing a 991.2 GT3 with a Cayenne Diesel on a Futura supercar. Dont have tire rack or rock guard.

If I put car forward first on a more “normal position” I get around 300 lb on weight safe. Less than half tank of gas. Putting the car forward a little more increases a little, maybe 350 lb on weight safe. The Cayenne pulls it really well in that position.

Still uneasy with the low tongue weight so put the car really forward to try to reach 400 lb on weigh safe (lip pretty sitting on top of that wench box) and the front of the Cayenne felt a little too loose for my taste.

So I got one of those better weigh sensors that gives weigh based on suspension position through obd2 and that gave me 400 lb when weigh safe was giving 300 lb. God knows which is more accurate but I did not really like how the Cayenne towed at weigh safe’s 400 lb at tongue.

thoughts?
Your thoughts about the scale is definitely a possibility. We calibrate all sorts of equipment at my work so I thought about this as well. I bought my WS hitch only last month and I think there was at least a QA/Scale certification paperwork. What’s reassuring is they have a lifetime warranty on the scale so if you have doubts, send it in and have them double check it. Beats having to buy tongue scale unless you want to.

As for low tongue weight, it seems like others in this thread have the same issue as well. My McLaren 720s is a 40-60 weight distribution. I believe the 911s are similar. This is why I backed in my car onto the trailer instead. It’s also easier for me to load and unload this way. I’m able to achieve ~500 lb tongue weight. 1328 trailer weight + 3200ish car weight for a total of around 4500-4600 lbs. 500 lb tongue weight puts me around 11%. And the car isn’t even all the way up to the front of the rock guard.

Coincidentally, I also received an email from Futura today.
All Futura Trailers including the Sport range model, the axle is positioned for even weight distribution for a car to be loaded frontward facing, including Porsche & McLaren so you may find it easier when loading and unloading.”

I’ll definitely try forward loading
next time for the sake of experimenting with the tongue weight.

Old 11-12-2020, 05:19 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

So I just spoke to a Futura technician. Have to say these guys have an incredible customer service...

Asked him about my issues with tongue weight. He was much more concerned about whether the trailer was leveled or not. Indeed to reach 400+lb at tongue I need to put car real forward and trailer/TV are creating a “V” figure with a very light front.

I will play with it again this weekend but that gave me some piece of mind about the 300 lb or so I am getting.

Quick Reply: Futura Trailer