Notices

Futura Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 04:31 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default (SOLD) Futura Trailer

Saw several of these trailers Futura Open Trailers at Rennsport Reunion this past week. They look awesome.

I have a 2017 enclosed 20' enclosed trailer with the Escape Door...this trailer has got me thinking about going back to an open trailer...my history...Haulmark 20', Featherlite 18' open, X brand 17' open (Forgot the name) and then to the ATC 20' enclosed. The Futura looks so easy to load/unload, doesn't appear to require additional ramps, can be optioned with a front debris shield as well as a tire rack.

Just to cut through the BS, I am going to drive up to the dealer in Anaheim with my car and do a loading demo, seeing if it really is that easy to load. If it is, my 20' ATC will be going on the block.

I know all the arguments for enclosed (security, weather protection at the track, etc.)......but the ease of loading is making me question the wisdom of me keeping the 20' enclosed. Loading and unloading is a big deal for me. I have a full size SUV for towing, so there is plenty off space for storage boxes, etc. I am bloody tired of having to use ramps to unload my trailer, and towing a much lighter trailer is appealing.

Last edited by Martin S.; 01-04-2020 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:45 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

I'm interested to see how they hold up to extended use and the elements.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:49 PM
ohenryinatlanta
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

i counted 4 at the chin event @ RA over the weekend

they look cool but all the metal seems awfully thin

last i checked they were $10k also
Old 10-07-2018, 10:40 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

Those are cool. I browsed the site a while and looks like a pain to get a quote. Have to contact a dealer.

https://www.futuratrailers.com/tandem-axle-usa/
Old 10-10-2018, 12:53 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Company has been around about 8 years i believe.....talked to them a while at rennsport amd saw their plans for the enclosed version....only added like 2 or 300 lbs, its a canvas type enclosed box that looks awesome.
he said they are also about to release a wider version, we have a loca that has a zl1...barely fits.

if i was getting open i woul be looking their....and probably would go with the enclosed version if it was stored outside just because why not
Old 10-10-2018, 01:14 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Saw one with a 720S on it this week down at Summit. Pretty slick.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:23 AM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw at Futura at the track last month and was really impressed. Looks to be a well engineered, quality trailer. The ease of loading and unloading comes at a premium but there are real advantages. I have seen a couple of guys here that are able to fit them into their garage and park their cars on them, with the ease of loading and unloading as long as the car isn't a daily this is a fairly practical way to store both the car and trailer. My dream is a fully decked out enclosed trailer but with that comes a commitment to a proper 3/4 ton truck etc etc. After seeing the Futura in person I am rethinking that dream a bit.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:36 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default If I am lucky..,

I’ll be selling my ATC today and picking up the Futura tomorrow. I did a trial fit for a GT3, outstanding. The best part for me, not having to deal with ramps. The worst part, losing inside storage, worth it for me as I hate dealing with ramps, tripped over one once, messed up a knee.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:32 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

if you buy the longer one, you can add cabinetry to it. I had Ctech quote me a base unit for the front so I could lock some stuff up in there, but then they released the wider futura, but not the longer wider one yet.....so waiting.....
Old 10-17-2018, 10:18 PM
Raucky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like mine and I use it as my "easy button" trailer, when I don't have to haul everything to the track.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:46 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Talking Pricing

Originally Posted by aryork
Those are cool. I browsed the site a while and looks like a pain to get a quote. Have to contact a dealer.

https://www.futuratrailers.com/tandem-axle-usa/
Tandem Axle 16'5" long X 78 1/4" wide $10,995, maximum load, 5,678 Lbs.
Supercar (Tandem Axle), 16'5" long, 81" wide, $11,995, maximum load, 5,600 Lbs.
Pro (Tandem Axel, 19'8" long X 78 1/4" wide, $11,995, maximum load, 5,534 Lbs.

All three of the above trailers have two (2) 3,500 Lb axles, so to calculate the weight of the trailer, and to save me the trouble of typing this #s, take 7,000 Lbs, less maximum load, and voila, the weight of the trailer.

OPTIONS
Extended tire rack: $1,595
Standard tire rack, $995
Stone guard, $695 ***
Recovery winch, $495 ***
Futura tie downs (4), $245 ***
Spare tire and aluminum wheel mounted under deck, $295 ***
*** I ordered it with these options

Bottom line, this trailer is extremely easy to load compared to my first enclosed ex-Hallmark, or my ex-Featherlite open, or my ex-Trailex, or my ex-ATC 20' enclosed. No loading ramps of any sort needed.

My conclusion after seeing one at Rennsport reunion this year, and having done a test load of my GT3, I had to have one. I willingly sacrificed all the conveniences of the enclosed trailer to get easy loading. Towing a lighter weight trailer is nice too.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:08 AM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
if you buy the longer one, you can add cabinetry to it. I had Ctech quote me a base unit for the front so I could lock some stuff up in there, but then they released the wider futura, but not the longer wider one yet.....so waiting.....

If you add cabinets I would love to see some photos and learn about your approach. Seems like an excellent idea.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:15 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 165 Posts

Awesome trailer.
Looking at buying one myself....even when I thought I was dead set on an enclosed trailer.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:46 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Took deliver 11/6/18, awesome Will do my first tow this weekend. I'll post up on the experience. NO MORE RAMPS TO TRIP OVER!
Old 11-13-2018, 01:43 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default As promised....

Futura Trailer: First time out, Had a 600 mile round trip tow this past weekend, San Diego to Buttonwillow and back. This was the maiden voyage of my new Futura trailer, the Tandem Axle 16'5' version, weighing in at 1,322 Lbs.
PRO: Towing is very pleasant experience, not a nightmare. With my 3,050 Lb GT3 car and the 1,322 Lb trailer, my load was 4,372 Lbs. Because of the streamlined load, the GT3 facing forward, and the relatively light weight compared to the gross weight of the former ATC enclosed, mileage was decent at about 13 mpg. With the ATC, it was 8.5 mpg. In addition high cross winds were not a problem.
CONSTRUCTION: The trailer appears to be very well built and sturdy.
NO RAMPS REQUIRED: First, release the fasteners at each wheel allowing the trailer to descend. Next, just use the wireless controller to lower the trailer bed down. Drive on....press the Raise button, the bed raises to a parallel to the ground. Open your car door****, and step down, fastening the fasteners at each wheel. NOTE: My GT3 is at stock ride height, the doors clear the fenders in the up position. If your car is slammed, you may have to deal with this. My trailer is now in storage, so I can't do the measuring for you. But, Mike at West Coast Corvette will do it.

DEALER HELPFUL: Mike at West Coast Corvette, the SoCal dealer is very helpful. He gave me my hands on tutorial: 714.803.1593.

CON: The tie down straps may take a while to get familiar with. The straps fit over the tops of the tires and wrap around the back. The straps are then cinched to gather parallel to just below the centerlines of the wheels and then 3 way anchored to the trailer and cinched down, applying downward pressure to the wheels.
If you want to see how they work, there is a demo on the FUTURA web site. I looked at YOU TUBE, no clue as to what I was doing wrong, maybe the straps just take some time to master. It took some manipulating the straps, threading them through the narrow space between the fender lip and the tires on the GT3. I may go to conventional tie downs for my next tow. Mike assures me that I will adapt and grow to love these tie downs. Being that I only tow 6 to 8 times a year.....hmmmmm, we'll see. That's the only CON that I can see., and easily addressed at that.

SUMMARY: I don't regret for a moment going back to an open trailer to get rid of ramps...hated them, so did my back. Realistically, one should be able to load their car, and strap down the tires in 20 minutes, maybe less. About the same time to unload......

I can see that I will have to buy tire storage racks....putting 4 race tire into the back of a SUV takes up too much room. And, they stink up the SUV.

Quick Reply: Futura Trailer