Notices

Water infiltration Trailex enclosed

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 10:14 AM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Water infiltration Trailex enclosed

I have a 2002 Trailex enclosed trailer I recently bought used. It gets a lot of water in the rear loading door after rain. I drilled drain holes at the bottom of the door but didn't really help. When the door goes up, it still drains a ton of water out of the hole where the electrical supply goes into the door at the top left. Has anybody had this problem and found a fix?
Old 09-16-2018, 06:11 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Mine has a rail along the top on the door, and a channel to divert the water away from the hinge - does yours have this?
Old 09-16-2018, 10:50 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 122 Posts

Mine has been doing this for years, it used to worry me but I have given up caring... One of the few design faults I have found in these.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:04 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

Same problem here on a 1999 enclose Trailex, drilled holes on bottom of frame, changed out tail lights to new LED units with new gaskets (wanted improved lighting all around, new gaskets was coincidence), seemed to help but not eliminate water getting in the door frame. It is ALUM after all, like nathan1 I don't give it much thought. Before holes, when opening door would hear slushing of water trapped in door frame, but no longer post holes.

Got the Trailex used, came with one side access door also water infiltration damaged, caulked reseal by previous owner, not pretty, but effective.

Bigger hassle, stored outside in countryside, mice have found there way in... so enclosed only to a point...
Old 09-17-2018, 09:10 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Mine does that. Sealing the rear lights helped alot.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:27 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
Same problem here on a 1999 enclose Trailex, drilled holes on bottom of frame, changed out tail lights to new LED units with new gaskets (wanted improved lighting all around, new gaskets was coincidence), seemed to help but not eliminate water getting in the door frame. It is ALUM after all, like nathan1 I don't give it much thought. Before holes, when opening door would hear slushing of water trapped in door frame, but no longer post holes.

Got the Trailex used, came with one side access door also water infiltration damaged, caulked reseal by previous owner, not pretty, but effective.

Bigger hassle, stored outside in countryside, mice have found there way in... so enclosed only to a point...
I would not tolerate mice for a second. They can get in through any crack that allows their head in. And they chew on wires, and leave unpleasant odors behind. Once in other mice will follow their scent. Rolling mouse factory.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:09 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

I don't think mine has the rail/channel on top. Will check next time I see the trailer. Didn't think about the light gaskets, but will revisit that, maybe seal with caulk/replace. Spoke with Trailex, they said the door has a piano hinge and generic weatherstripping. Will look into replacing weatherstrip as needed.

So far no mice....
Old 09-30-2018, 08:17 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Mine does not have a channel above the hinge. The piano hinge is covered by a rolled-over aluminum strip. I checked behind the tail lights, dry like bone so not getting water in through there. Still can't figure out where the water is getting in but almost certain its the hinge. Now to figure out a way to remedy....

Quick Reply: Water infiltration Trailex enclosed