ATC Quest 22' Order

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 05:41 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts
Default ATC Quest 22' Order

Hello all -
I currently have a 18' flatbed and am moving to an enclosed so we can camp out at track for the weekend. Besides the basics you get with quest line, here are the options I am getting that I think are unique. I would love feedback on this before I sign-off on design:

- Opting 22' length w/ full upper lower cabients, I believe room will be fine for my GT4
- Black coin floor - I think its a bit nicer for camping out of
- Bed rug halfway up walls
- Power awning
- 48" door that opens reverse / suicide style (hoping this will allow for more clearance when awning is out)
- Window added to door
- 13,500 A/C unit
- Insulated walls and ceiling
- 40 gallon fuel filling station, mounted on same side as door
- Microwave built into cabinet
- No built in Gen, going to have a Honda 3000i Handi in my truck
- Power jack set back on tongue to allow clearance for trail gate to open on truck
- 12v Fantastic fan
- Extra battery
- Remote controlled in-floor winch
- Spare tire mount on interior wall
- In floor spare tire box (will use for storage)
- 4' tire track
- 12v plug for Dometic cooler / freezer

Let me know what you all think. Especially I am interested in opinions on the reverse opening door, I haven't seen that before but it seems to make the most sense to me. Otherwise the door can only open at 90 degree angle if awning is out and seems like that would get annoying.

I am opting for 22' instead of 24' because my shop is pretty hard to get trailers into and every foot counts. I measured floor and think I'd have plenty of space to get my car in there and tied down. I don't really care about space on floor beyond that.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:50 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

- Opting 22' length w/ full upper lower cabients, I believe room will be fine for my GT4

Will make it harder to sell, and in 2 months you'll wish you got the 24'

It tends to bubble and peel up

Nice
- Power awning

Nice
- 48" door that opens reverse / suicide style (hoping this will allow for more clearance when awning is out)

Interesting idea, not sure about this one
- Window added to door

Just let's people see what's in there

- 13,500 A/C unit

Yes, but it's cheaper to preframe and wire and install a better unit afterwards

Yes

My friend thought this would be a great idea, never used it.

Why not.

Could go either way on this, although I wish my trailer had the built in, so I could always leave it there- less extra work!!!!
- Power jack set back on tongue to allow clearance for trail gate to open on truck

Mine opens fine at standard length, double check this.
- 12v Fantastic fan

Use the fan setting on A/C if you don't need cooling.
- Extra battery

???

People complain about the flip up bracket not working well and the tow hook on car being offset, making this hard to use on Porsches

Yes

Sure, just don't put the spare in there, especially if you stick with 22' as you'll have to take the car out to get to spare.
- 4' tire track

Bigger is better.

Make sure you keep the battery charged via 110V or this will drain the battery fast.

Good luck. Others opinions may vary

Let me know what you all think. Especially I am interested in opinions on the reverse opening door, I haven't seen that before but it seems to make the most sense to me. Otherwise the door can only open at 90 degree angle if awning is out and seems like that would get annoying.

I am opting for 22' instead of 24' because my shop is pretty hard to get trailers into and every foot counts. I measured floor and think I'd have plenty of space to get my car in there and tied down. I don't really care about space on floor beyond that.[/quote]
Old 06-08-2018, 12:22 AM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Thanks for feedback!

- 22' vs 24': I am not worried about resale. In terms of wanting longer, what do I do with the extra couple of feet?

- Black coin floor durability: I don't have experience with it, but I do have full aluminum extruded right now and have been in many enclosed trailers with it. It seems to look very weathered after awhile and I don't want to camp out on a metal sheet. Also I figure the flooring would be easy enough to replace at some point if needed?

- Window on door: makes it so I won't feel like I am in a coffin at night.

- On the A/C what would you recommend as the best A/C unit out there? I am not sure what ATC stocks but they seem to aim for quality.

- 40 gallon tank: I know we will use it because we don't have easy gas station access at the track and/or its very expensive when it exists. My wife and I both have cars and use more than 40 gallons in a weekend.

- Going for portable generator because I won't need it half the time and the Cummins onboard units always seem to be super loud. I like the idea of a quiet Honda generator I can move away a bit to save on noise.

- Offset jack for tailgate clearance: I will check into it but every trailer I have with a center mount jack hits my tailgate. Perhaps a long hitch would solve it.

- Fantastic fan: Is the Fan mode on A/C 12v?

- Extra battery: We won't have shore power sometimes and I'd like to avoid the generator if possible. So for lights, inverter, fans, cooler, I would like the extra power of another battery. Its a pretty cheap option too.

- In floor winch not working well with Porsches: Will need to investigate this one. I can get the winch mounted offset to match the tow hook side. My old trailer has a center mount winch in the front of the trailer always worked great.

- 12v cooler: we have some experience running these and with a good battery setup and solar they work well. I don't have immediate plans for solar but it would probably come if I did the cooler, just thinking long term... I guess ice works pretty well too.

Again thanks for the feedback!

-

Originally Posted by linzman

Will make it harder to sell, and in 2 months you'll wish you got the 24'

It tends to bubble and peel up

Nice
- Power awning

Nice

Interesting idea, not sure about this one
- Window added to door

Just let's people see what's in there

- 13,500 A/C unit

Yes, but it's cheaper to preframe and wire and install a better unit afterwards

Yes

My friend thought this would be a great idea, never used it.

Why not.

Could go either way on this, although I wish my trailer had the built in, so I could always leave it there- less extra work!!!!

Mine opens fine at standard length, double check this.
- 12v Fantastic fan

Use the fan setting on A/C if you don't need cooling.
- Extra battery

???

People complain about the flip up bracket not working well and the tow hook on car being offset, making this hard to use on Porsches

Yes

Sure, just don't put the spare in there, especially if you stick with 22' as you'll have to take the car out to get to spare.
- 4' tire track

Bigger is better.

Make sure you keep the battery charged via 110V or this will drain the battery fast.

Good luck. Others opinions may vary

I am opting for 22' instead of 24' because my shop is pretty hard to get trailers into and every foot counts. I measured floor and think I'd have plenty of space to get my car in there and tied down. I don't really care about space on floor beyond that.
[/QUOTE]
Old 06-08-2018, 12:55 AM
lmnsblu355
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice build. Why not add the side escape door?
Then just drive in and open the door to get in/out of the car. Then, no need to winch the car in each time.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:43 AM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lmnsblu355
Nice build. Why not add the side escape door?
Then just drive in and open the door to get in/out of the car. Then, no need to winch the car in each time.
Sorry I left out mentioning that with some of the other features I think are standard on the Quest trailers. Yes I am getting one. I have gotten used to loading using a winch on my old trailer. I still do drive in sometimes but the winch takes a lot of the stress out of it when doing it by myself.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:25 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice spec. Delete the window. It will just attract unwanted eyes. And, I would vote for the winch in the cabinet. Mine works well and I have it located slightly to the passenger side.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:59 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pkh
Thanks for feedback!

- 22' vs 24': I am not worried about resale. In terms of wanting longer, what do I do with the extra couple of feet?

- Black coin floor durability: I don't have experience with it, but I do have full aluminum extruded right now and have been in many enclosed trailers with it. It seems to look very weathered after awhile and I don't want to camp out on a metal sheet. Also I figure the flooring would be easy enough to replace at some point if needed? Use a brillo and it will clean up easily. The coin flooring always seems to peel up, but the biggest issue to me, is that its laid on a plywood subfloor, and I wanted the aluminum for longevity.

- Window on door: makes it so I won't feel like I am in a coffin at night. I go both ways on this, but I do think the window invites people to look.

- On the A/C what would you recommend as the best A/C unit out there? I am not sure what ATC stocks but they seem to aim for quality. The bigger the better. I disagree with the above poster, just spend the couple hundred extra over doing it yourself and be done.

- 40 gallon tank: I know we will use it because we don't have easy gas station access at the track and/or its very expensive when it exists. My wife and I both have cars and use more than 40 gallons in a weekend. Personal call. I debate this, and in the end decide it easier to just get a drum dropped at the track for me. I was always worried about fuel sitting between events and going bad.

- Going for portable generator because I won't need it half the time and the Cummins onboard units always seem to be super loud. I like the idea of a quiet Honda generator I can move away a bit to save on noise. The cummins is whisper quiet, like the honda. Pluses and minus to both, personal call.

- Offset jack for tailgate clearance: I will check into it but every trailer I have with a center mount jack hits my tailgate. Perhaps a long hitch would solve it. I can drop the gate on my f350 and clear the jack too.

- Fantastic fan: Is the Fan mode on A/C 12v?

- Extra battery: We won't have shore power sometimes and I'd like to avoid the generator if possible. So for lights, inverter, fans, cooler, I would like the extra power of another battery. Its a pretty cheap option too. Correct, I have 3 batteries in mine.

- In floor winch not working well with Porsches: Will need to investigate this one. I can get the winch mounted offset to match the tow hook side. My old trailer has a center mount winch in the front of the trailer always worked great. Mine is center mounted in cabinet, no issue. having it in the floor would be nice, I think, but it doesnt bother me.

- 12v cooler: we have some experience running these and with a good battery setup and solar they work well. I don't have immediate plans for solar but it would probably come if I did the cooler, just thinking long term... I guess ice works pretty well too.

Again thanks for the feedback!

-
[/QUOTE]
Also, with my clubsport or GT3 in the trailer, I can get to the infloor spare without touching the car. When I am loaded, the back of the car is about 12-18 inches from rear door. In front of the car, I have about 4 feet to the lower cabinets, and I usually tie down my spare wheels and tires here, or I just throw the cooler there.

I went with a 22' for the reason you specify, storage. I don't think a 24 would do anything I cant with a 22, but a 28' would. The best thing I did, was add a door on both sides of the trailer, which allows for a great cross flow of air, not to mention convenience. I'm doing that on my new kart trailer that is being built too.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:07 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Oh yea, go to the 16" wheels/tires so you can run the LT tires and not have to use trailer specific tires.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:39 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Are are you guys that are saying tailgate clears using a manual jack or power? Manual just barely clears on my flatbed atc and power jack is bigger.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:32 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Power. Too lazy for manual!!
Old 06-08-2018, 05:06 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Power also. I have a weight distribution hitch, so it might be a bit longer, thus giving me clearance.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:24 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

we probably have a different coupler than you too which extends the clearance some.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:40 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

My Intech with power jack clears a Chevy 2500.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:07 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

My F150 Screw uses a Curt 17500 WDH with a manual jack on my Intech and I have ~1/32" interference. Enough that the rubber on top of the tail gate shows it.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:48 AM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Here's my new plan for dealing with door opening into awning, a double hinged 60" door with a gas shock on one side to limit opening to 90 degrees:

I found an example here (normal door) with hold backs in the 90 degree and totally open 180 degree positions. You could remove the gas shock for the latter:

Quick Reply: ATC Quest 22' Order