Notices

ATC Quest 22' Order

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 01:21 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
great trailer! use it in good health! in my experience, whatever size trailer one has, ti gets filled to the brim. if you have the truck to tow it, and the space to park it, then go as big as those parameters permit more or less. i tend to think a 28' is the ideal size for a single car operaiton as it leaves enough room for a few sets of wheels, maybe some bigger spares, setup equipment, etc. granted if this isnt how one functions at a track then agreed smaller is better. but the differene between a 22 and 26 on the highway is not perceivable, and yet that 6 feet might mean you can or can not get a cheapie golf cart in there or another 2 sets of wheels, a small pitcart.
I think the main difference is if you are into racing or just track days. For track days I just need a couple of totes which generally fit in the car, an extra set of tires maybe.

I did my first race recently and am realizing its a whole different ball game in terms of gear. I could easily see building out a huge trailer setup with all the things you mention in addition to tools / spares / etc..

My main issue was getting the trailer in and out of my shop, so the 22' is perfect for that. I don't race primarily if I do start doing that I may need to upsize eventually, though I am sure I could still do it with the 22'.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:15 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Did my first drive with the car in the trailer, I don't know why I was so nervous but I was. I have been towing cars on flatbeds for a few years now but something about not being able to see the car made me jumpy. Anyway it arrived great and straps stayed nice and tight.

The trailer road really well and I was impressed with the braking. When I first picked it up the brakes didn't work hardly at all, but the dealer said they needed some break in time. Well they work well now. I am careful to turn down the brake booster when the trailer is unloaded so that I don't flat spot the tires trying to stop the whole rig with no weight in it.

Here's a photo of me taking the trailer out of the shop, gives you an idea of why I was worried about going too long. It was even worse when I was trying to put it away properly. I think 24' may have been possible but it would have created a lot more headaches, and so far 22' has given me plenty of space.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:35 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Just completed my first track event / camping weekend in the trailer. I am so happy with how everything turned out, honestly only thing I kind of regret is not getting a bigger fuel tank. 40 gallons was not quite enough for me and my wife for the weekend. I think for single day or single car it would have been fine. 80 gallons was the next size up but that seemed way overkill. Other thoughts:

- Double doors were a big hit, you could setup a couple chairs and have an inside/outside feel, we even were able to operate the grill from inside without much trouble.
- Awning worked great, though we did retract it once because of concern for the wind.
- A small electric heater and the insulated walls made it quite comfortable at night.
- I may consider adding a cargo box on the tongue just for some extra storage.
- Towed great, 70mph most of the time... I am sure with a weight distribution hitch it would be even more solid.
- Fuel filler is pretty slow, I'd say maybe 1/2 or 1/4 as fast as a gas station pump.
- Glad I added extra plugs, made it easy to plug stuff in wherever.
- It has a "SmartJack" which is programmable, but I haven't gotten the programming feature to work yet.
- Lighting is more than ample, we actually turned the overhead lights off at night and just had the workbench lights on so it didn't feel like a hospital.
- It definitely has more resistance to turning while backing up than my other trailers, will take some getting used to.
- Having the in floor spare tire storage is great for storing all my straps/jack/jack stands/etc.. almost wish I added a 1-2 more of these its super handy.
- Weight for trailer on delivery sheet says 4654, full of fuel and all my track crap would be well over 5000 without the car. Definitely heavier than my flatbed but still no big deal for F250.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:29 AM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great looking trailer, well thought out setup that I am sure will serve you well. Not sure my wife will appreciate it as much as I do because you have given me many expensive ideas.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:39 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep us posted over the next year or so, this is the exact setup I was thinking of going with in the future. For me 24' seems a little over kill but I'd like a little bit more space than my current 20'. In the end though I may end up with whatever I find a deal on, racing on a budget usually dictates certain purchases! lol
Old 10-25-2018, 11:45 AM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

Great looking truck and trailer...I'm partial to white Platinums myself!
Old 10-25-2018, 01:33 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

The trailer has been great. Really my only regrets (if any) are not going with a second fuel tank to (would boost from 40 to 80 gallons) and maybe having a couple more in floor storage bins (don't really need, just want, they are so handy.)

I have been resisting the temptation to mount a bunch of things on the walls like all the Pit Pals products. I think they would be useful but also add clutter and make it harder to move around the trailer when its loaded. Its very difficult for me to imagine screwing things into the virgin walls.

Having the front jack offset does make the trailer lean ever so slightly (maybe an inch) on one side, but this is easily corrected with the stabilizer jacks. I don't regret this option as its great to be able to open the truck tailgate without worrying of hitting the jack.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:37 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pruettfan
Great looking trailer, well thought out setup that I am sure will serve you well. Not sure my wife will appreciate it as much as I do because you have given me many expensive ideas.
Some funny bits about our wives there:

- The enclosed trailer was my wife's idea, however the one she spec'd was the $12k steel and wood variety - I told her to step aside and let me spec it haha
- Now that the trailer is done she agrees it was worth it - though she still had a bit of sticker shock when I told her how much
- I notice a blue M2 in your avatar, my wife drives one has her track car but just had it wrapped purple!

Old 11-10-2018, 05:33 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 165 Posts

Great thread....thanks for sharing.

I've been going back and forth re: ordering a 22 or 24' enclosed trailer myself.

Pulled the trigger on the 22' today (Featherlite 4926) weighing in at 3300 lbs.

Should tow like a dream. LOL.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:51 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Great thread....thanks for sharing.

I've been going back and forth re: ordering a 22 or 24' enclosed trailer myself.

Pulled the trigger on the 22' today (Featherlite 4926) weighing in at 3300 lbs.

Should tow like a dream. LOL.
Sounds pretty good, about 1300 lbs lighter than mine was. I still haven't weighed it fully loaded. What kind of options did you go with?
Old 11-10-2018, 11:54 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by pkh

Having the front jack offset does make the trailer lean ever so slightly (maybe an inch) on one side, but this is easily corrected with the stabilizer jacks. I don't regret this option as its great to be able to open the truck tailgate without worrying of hitting the jack.
What kind of truck do you have? I have my jack centered and it never hits my on my Chevy.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:00 AM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skxf430
What kind of truck do you have? I have my jack centered and it never hits my on my Chevy.
2017 Ford F250 ... I think the hitch has a lot to do with it too.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:15 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by pkh
Sounds pretty good, about 1300 lbs lighter than mine was. I still haven't weighed it fully loaded. What kind of options did you go with?
For a Featherlite, it has quite a few options but not much compared to other trailers I've seen here...

It lists for just under $27k. Although they were clearancing the 2018's since the new 19's are arriving.

1) Upgraded 5.2k axles
2) 16" aluminum LT wheels/tires
3) Spare tire/wheel
4) Side escape door
5) Raised deck by 6"
6) Inside height of trailer raised from 6'6" to 7'.
7) 3 extra lights inside
8) Gravel Guard 24" in front
9) Silver in color
Old 11-11-2018, 03:12 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
For a Featherlite, it has quite a few options but not much compared to other trailers I've seen here...

It lists for just under $27k. Although they were clearancing the 2018's since the new 19's are arriving.

1) Upgraded 5.2k axles
2) 16" aluminum LT wheels/tires
3) Spare tire/wheel
4) Side escape door
5) Raised deck by 6"
6) Inside height of trailer raised from 6'6" to 7'.
7) 3 extra lights inside
8) Gravel Guard 24" in front
9) Silver in color
Raised deck by 6"? That is interesting, is that the whole floor?

Did you go with aluminum floor? Could explain some of the weight savings. Did you get cabinets?
Old 11-11-2018, 11:15 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by pkh
2017 Ford F250 ... I think the hitch has a lot to do with it too.
I have had several hitches on the Silverado and all of them clear by at least 6". The Ford must have a fairly high tailgate.

Originally Posted by pkh
Raised deck by 6"? That is interesting, is that the whole floor?
That is going to be a steep angle with such a high raised deck. You will need some pretty long ramps to avoid scraping.

Quick Reply: ATC Quest 22' Order