Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Trucks and Trailers (https://rennlist.com/forums/trucks-and-trailers-239/)
-   -   22' vs 24' ATC or InTech trailer (https://rennlist.com/forums/trucks-and-trailers/1069714-22-vs-24-atc-or-intech-trailer.html)

mrsullivan 05-19-2018 04:34 PM

22' vs 24' ATC or InTech trailer

The sickness continues. I recently sold my sundowner 24ft aluminum trailer after only having it for a year. It was a great trailer, but with the v-nose addition, the 24ft always felt a bit large. Because our Porsches tend to sit a little closer to the nose of the trailer to allow for the weight to be distributed between axles, I always found there was tons of room behind the car. Even if I backed it in, just had more room in front. Unlike 90% of those on here, I don't have a trailer for multi day track living. I use it to transport cars to PCA events, car shows, DE, etc. Don't spend a lot of time sitting in it. Don't need lots of spare tires, fuel jugs, etc.

I am building a new trailer and going with either ATC or Intech. My thought is to do a 22' with upper cabinets and cabinets above wheel well on passenger side. Escape hatch on other side. Lots of e track and a track, carpet on walls, lots of LED. But more set up for car show/DE transport vs. track. If I understand right, a 24' with front base cabinets is about 22' usable box. In reading through lots of threads, I see that people are very adamant about 24'. But to me, a 22'ft with no lower cabinets is same amount of room for car. Its literally just about those lower cabinets.

Pretty close to pulling the trigger on 22', just want to see if there is anything I am missing. Its not the $, there is very little difference. Its not my tow vehicle (1 ton). Its just - why not have 2 less feet of trailer to park or tow around if you don't need it? And if you say you NEED 24', don't you really mean you need base cabinets?

Thanks for any ideas or feedback on this. Gonna be a $25-30k trailer regardless of 22 or 24 so want to get it right this time and have it for a while..

ps. Historically I am a Porsche only transporter, but the longest dream car I could find would be an old GTO muscle car, worse case about 210 inches, so still would be plenty room

MK_TT 05-21-2018 12:25 PM

^ Great Talking with you last week, You are correct, an Intech 24' with base cabinets has a usable floor length of 22' (base cabinets are 24'' deep, 52'', at longest point if you get the L base for a generator)

If you wanted to stay with the 22' the wheel well cabinet would be nice for additional storage, you could also go with the L-shaped uppers for additional storage without sacrificing floor space. Definitely go with E-Track / Airline track since you will have multiple cars in there.

Pic for reference

-Mark

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...9f8d8ebe54.jpg

linzman 05-21-2018 02:49 PM

As you already know, there are lots of threads about this. The only thing I would tell you is that you may feel that you not need the extra 2 feet of room, but when it comes to resale, that lack of 2 feet and base cabinets may make it that much harder to sell one day.

Hoyt 05-21-2018 03:26 PM

I've had both brands of trailers within the past 5yrs or so.... I highly recommend Intech trailers. Their build quality is second to non and they've got great customer support.

As for length....I've always followed go bigger than you think. So, go with the 24ft trailer and you'll be happy.

mrsullivan 05-21-2018 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by linzman (Post 15024602)
As you already know, there are lots of threads about this. The only thing I would tell you is that you may feel that you not need the extra 2 feet of room, but when it comes to resale, that lack of 2 feet and base cabinets may make it that much harder to sell one day.

thanks. But it’s not 2 feet. At least as I have been educated. In the 24 with base cabinets, it’s 22 ft usable. In the 22 ft trailer with only L upper cabinets it’s also 22 ft usable. So it’s really about how important one feels the base cabinets are... in trading off an additional 2 ft to tow and park 😬

linzman 05-22-2018 07:58 AM

It is 2 feet, just that it's occupied by lower cabinets. Most buyers of trailers need that extra space, I would assume most like the cabinets, but many build their own shelves, etc in that area. If one were to do that in your 22 foot trailer, that would leave only 20' of space.

All I'm saying is that it will be MUCH harder to sell your trailer one day because of that, but it's your money

mrsullivan 05-22-2018 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by linzman (Post 15026215)
It is 2 feet, just that it's occupied by lower cabinets. Most buyers of trailers need that extra space, I would assume most like the cabinets, but many build their own shelves, etc in that area. If one were to do that in your 22 foot trailer, that would leave only 20' of space.

All I'm saying is that it will be MUCH harder to sell your trailer one day because of that, but it's your money

thanks for your input. You may be right. I’m going to noodle this over a little bit more. I’m pretty focused on building this for me, not for someone else. But I also don’t want to do something stupid. It’s amazing to me how focused people are on 24. I mean, even with a 20 foot box, you could fit old Mopar muscle cars no problem. I guess it’s really about whether this is for track work or just transporting.

ExMB 05-22-2018 05:06 PM

Lets say you want to carry a roll on tool box and strap it to the e-track up front. Cabinets are fine but organized drawers are better. $0.02

mrsullivan 05-22-2018 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by ExMB (Post 15027413)
Lets say you want to carry a roll on tool box and strap it to the e-track up front. Cabinets are fine but organized drawers are better. $0.02

Yes. To me this would be a case for upper cabinets but not lower....

KOAN 05-23-2018 02:14 PM

I have a 24' and would like a 26'. Is there any advantage to getting a smaller one? Parking? Really? Towing 2 more feet? Really?

mrsullivan 05-23-2018 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck Price (Post 15029472)
I have a 24' and would like a 26'. Is there any advantage to getting a smaller one? Parking? Really? Towing 2 more feet? Really?

Only $1k more. So no difference there. Towing? Parking? Of course 2 ft doesn't make a huge difference. But some difference. More than that, I just spent the entire time in my last 24ft looking at a full 4-6 feet behind my Porsches. Wasted space. Wont all 911s and 356s be positioned a bit forward in a trailer? If yes, in a 24, there will always be a bunch of room behind the car.

ExMB 05-23-2018 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by mrsullivan (Post 15029768)
Only $1k more. So no difference there. Towing? Parking? Of course 2 ft doesn't make a huge difference. But some difference.

Trying turning that thing in a cul-de-sac with a WDH instead of a regular hitch and you'll find out the difference very quickly; especially when extra cars are parked in the cul-de-sac.

lmnsblu355 05-23-2018 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by mrsullivan (Post 15029768)
Only $1k more. So no difference there. Towing? Parking? Of course 2 ft doesn't make a huge difference. But some difference. More than that, I just spent the entire time in my last 24ft looking at a full 4-6 feet behind my Porsches. Wasted space. Wont all 911s and 356s be positioned a bit forward in a trailer? If yes, in a 24, there will always be a bunch of room behind the car.

I know exactly what you're saying. My Boxster in a 24 foot trailer has to be pulled Way Forward in order to get tongue weight up. I'm still able to use the large Escape door but there is a lot of space behind the car. I plan on putting my generator in a box on the tongue and that should allow me to move the car back a little bit but there will still be a lot of space behind it. I wonder if custom ordering a trailer with the Escape door on the passenger side and backing in would be a more efficient use of space? You could keep the car closer to the back door of the trailer and therefore get more usable space in front.

mrsullivan 05-24-2018 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by lmnsblu355 (Post 15030320)
I know exactly what you're saying. My Boxster in a 24 foot trailer has to be pulled Way Forward in order to get tongue weight up. I'm still able to use the large Escape door but there is a lot of space behind the car. I plan on putting my generator in a box on the tongue and that should allow me to move the car back a little bit but there will still be a lot of space behind it. I wonder if custom ordering a trailer with the Escape door on the passenger side and backing in would be a more efficient use of space? You could keep the car closer to the back door of the trailer and therefore get more usable space in front.

Exactly. Or just buy a 22 foot trailer with no base cabinets. Put extra cabinets above the passenger wheel well, and as needed use airline tracking to attach portable storage at the front of the trailer. But have the option of the entire 22 foot print. Which is identical to a 24 with base cabinets. But will leave less room behind the car. I honestly don’t see how every 911 owner doesn’t have this same issue, needing to put the engine in between the axles.

nxfedlt1 05-24-2018 04:14 PM

I have a custom 22 ATC...will be at COTA with PCA in a few weeks if you want to see it and try loading into it. It will be for sale when my liftgate is done sometime in the next 12 months. Gen set, AC, cabinets, multiple in floor boxes, fuel tank, winch, dual side doors, escape door.....all options.