Notices

Living quarter trailers

Old 04-28-2018, 10:13 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Living quarter trailers

There’s surprisingly little discussion here on goosenecks with living quarters up front. Maybe most go to the track to escape their significant others, but with my young family I can’t just dissapear for 3-4 nights at a time. Continuing my racing ‘career’ means bringing everyone along, which has lead me to checking out different options for staying at the track. I can’t swing a new InTech or ATC, but there’s a couple nice used ones for sale and SunDowners seem reasonable as well.

Does anyone one have any experience with these setups, and are there any manufacturers or options to consider other than ATC and InTech? I’d be hauling with a SRW F350, so 40’-ish is about all I could handle from a payload perspective as those are probably about 12k lbs empty.

Last edited by PGas32; 04-29-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:43 PM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I do.... somewhat..... I've averaged 10 race weekends a year for the past several years in a Forest River Work n Play 38RLS. But I race motorcycles. Thus, my garage is separate from the living quarters with a sliding glass door. I tow VERY comfortably with a SRW 2016 F350 SRW with air bags. Usually, 2 race bikes, a scooter, a tool cart, 4 spare wheels, full water tank, gear, food, blah blah blah - i really don't worry what i throw in there.

I have a small slide out for a couch / bed, and it gets tight with the wife and i and two dogs (or me and a couple of friends). Unless, it's really hot out, we're not in the trailer that much other than to sleep, rest and make food. More often we are outside the trailer grilling and socializing.

You could obviously do it with the open floor plan for a car, but you will have to consider your families desire for race smells - maybe a freezer type curtain? I would have at least 2 A/C units to help cool the entire trailer if not 3....... then you will need to consider the appropriate generator size or the option to plug in. Thankfully, all but one of the tracks we visit we can plug in and the one that doesn't, my wife won't goto.

In our motorcycle world, there are tons of families in similar set ups or even less so, so i think it's entirely do-able.

Don't know if i've helped or not............
Old 04-29-2018, 07:03 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Definitely helpful, thank you. Most of the setups that I've seen have the living quarters area completely walled-off from the garage. My trailer now is only 20', and that seems to be pretty standard for a garage on LQ goosenecks. Like you mentioned, I wouldn't anticipate spending a ton of time in the trailer, but we're also still at the stage where a place to feed/nap/change diapers etc is incredibly helpful...figure we can use it for camping trips as well. The slippery slope continues...
Old 04-30-2018, 10:50 AM
ned911
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

When I was vintage racing there was a sizable group that would sleep in their enclosed trailers on a cot, leaving the race car outside. Eventually I plan on a gooseneck with a bathroom/shower and sleep in the over hang. Wasn't planning on a full size LQ. My plan was 36-38' trailer.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:23 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by PGas32
Definitely helpful, thank you. Most of the setups that I've seen have the living quarters area completely walled-off from the garage. My trailer now is only 20', and that seems to be pretty standard for a garage on LQ goosenecks. Like you mentioned, I wouldn't anticipate spending a ton of time in the trailer, but we're also still at the stage where a place to feed/nap/change diapers etc is incredibly helpful...figure we can use it for camping trips as well. The slippery slope continues...
Unless you go BIG anything you get to do both jobs (hauling a car and hauling a family) will do neither well. Better off with a slightly smaller than optimal enclosed and a medium sized RV instead of trying to find a trailer + truck.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:07 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Just walked through a 46' Shadow - 24' garage, and a nice LQ with a slide out. Everything seemed nice, but they're more of a horse trailer company and don't have much of a reputation in the car world - anyone here know anything about them, or should I just stick with what we all know is a good product in ATC? BTW, new Shadow pricing is about equal to used ATC pricing, and I assume there's a reason for that
Old 04-30-2018, 08:30 PM
mike1111
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Have also looked into Shadow 48-50 ft with a 26ft garage for race car and golf cart, price seemed descent. lately i have been considering a 44ft with just a bathroom package. If anyone knows of a nice used unit I am interested..

Interested in hearing others thoughts on this..
Old 05-01-2018, 09:07 AM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought about living quarters when I bought my last trailer but being limited to a 36ft goose-neck to fit into the shop and budget I just put a queen mattress in the bunk area and have air conditioning, all the tracks I go to have bathrooms with showers if needed. Then again it's only me going to the track.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:02 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Just to close the loop here - brought this home today. 40’ Sundowner, 22’ LQ with a 18’ garage. If I were to have ordered, the garage would’ve been larger and the exterior color not so ugly, but this was local and I could make it happen by WGI next weekend. My wife is thrilled so far, and that’s what really counts!
Old 05-28-2018, 09:30 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 280 Posts

My 2 cents for those considering a goose and throwing a mattress in the attic to sleep on. Check out the trailer after it has been closed up in the hot sun, late in the day if possible. Walk in just after opening the side door and breath deep. Any smells? My goose was a year old demo trailer and for the first five years would burn my eyes when first opened. Something inside was out gassing bad stuff.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:30 AM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

replace the cable with a synthetic rope, an upgrade that is well worth its price. Very cheap on amazon
Old 05-28-2018, 11:51 AM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Thats a nice looking trailer. I think you and the family will enjoy. Post more pics when you have a chance
Old 07-10-2018, 09:32 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by PGas32
Just to close the loop here - brought this home today. 40’ Sundowner, 22’ LQ with a 18’ garage. If I were to have ordered, the garage would’ve been larger and the exterior color not so ugly, but this was local and I could make it happen by WGI next weekend. My wife is thrilled so far, and that’s what really counts!
I'm looking at these too... What are your thoughts on it now that you've had it for a while and have used it?
Also build quality and towing that trailer with your rig?
Old 07-10-2018, 07:28 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 007DT
I'm looking at these too... What are your thoughts on it now that you've had it for a while and have used it?
Also build quality and towing that trailer with your rig?
So far I've taken it to WGI for the Club Race, and gone camping with the kids once...really happy with the choice, as it's working out as planned. I'd recommend ordering one with a larger garage, as the 18' on this unit fills up pretty quickly. Build quality seems good thus far, though there hasn't been much of a chance for stuff to fail yet.

As for the truck, definitely go dually. The 350 did OK with the car in the back and water tanks empty, but I was bouncing off the bump stops with the headlights pointed toward the sky most of the time...which led me to this hoss

Old 07-10-2018, 08:39 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you get the trailer camera/tire pressure monitoring setup on the new truck?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Living quarter trailers