Notices

Best Rig to Haul 2 Cars + Living

Old 03-13-2018, 01:12 AM
trader247
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best Rig to Haul 2 Cars + Living

I am looking for for a trailer to carry 2 race cars + tires + spares.

I have a couple of options. Upgrade my F150 Raptor to and F250/350 and tow. If so, need a trailer that carries the two cars + quarters. Or, get a separate tow vehicle that has quarters and tow a stacker.

Any advise appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 03-13-2018, 09:24 AM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

For a two car hauler + living quarters i would just get a Renegade-esque RV/toter and trailer. I can't see a trailer that's going to be able to haul 2 cars plus have adquate living space.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:01 PM
Hoyt
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by trader247
I am looking for for a trailer to carry 2 race cars + tires + spares.

I have a couple of options. Upgrade my F150 Raptor to and F250/350 and tow. If so, need a trailer that carries the two cars + quarters. Or, get a separate tow vehicle that has quarters and tow a stacker.

Any advise appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
I guess it depends on your budget. The cheaper route would be to go the F-450 (skip the F-250 and F-350) and a long *** gooseneck trailer to fit your needs. But, if you've got the cash, then I'd go the toter with stacker trailer route. It's more dedicated, but should be more comfy in the long run.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:40 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just playing with some numbers, with 2x cars, tires for both, spare parts:
Depending on what kind of race cars, You're probably looking at 30ft worth of car + 2ft for cabinets + 2ft for tires + whatever space your spares and other kit takes up, so a very conservative 34ft with everything packed like tetris before you get to any living space. With a semi-livable 15ft thats about a 50ft trailer.

The stacker+RV route is probably the better option if you want to go all in. Personally (and for no reason) I always find stacker trailers a bit sketchy.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:33 PM
trader247
Instructor

Originally Posted by fosbibr
For a two car hauler + living quarters i would just get a Renegade-esque RV/toter and trailer. I can't see a trailer that's going to be able to haul 2 cars plus have adquate living space.
Yep, the trailer would have to be very big, and I'm not super comfortable towing something nearly 40ft long.

Originally Posted by Hoyt
I guess it depends on your budget. The cheaper route would be to go the F-450 (skip the F-250 and F-350) and a long *** gooseneck trailer to fit your needs. But, if you've got the cash, then I'd go the toter with stacker trailer route. It's more dedicated, but should be more comfy in the long run.
Toter / Stacker seems optimal. I suppose, I could initially get the bigger track and start our with the stacker. I think the F250/350/450 should be able to tow that pretty handily. If I get more and more into this than can add the toter.

Originally Posted by BillNye
Just playing with some numbers, with 2x cars, tires for both, spare parts:
Depending on what kind of race cars, You're probably looking at 30ft worth of car + 2ft for cabinets + 2ft for tires + whatever space your spares and other kit takes up, so a very conservative 34ft with everything packed like tetris before you get to any living space. With a semi-livable 15ft thats about a 50ft trailer.

The stacker+RV route is probably the better option if you want to go all in. Personally (and for no reason) I always find stacker trailers a bit sketchy.
I think towing the stacker with the rv or toter will be the way to go. I can see how the stacker looks sketchy. My thought is that the two race cars (991.1 Cups) weigh less that towing a good size SUV. Also, once loaded the center of gravity is lowered by getting the top car right on top of the lower car, this is how I have seen it done.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:14 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by trader247
Yep, the trailer would have to be very big, and I'm not super comfortable towing something nearly 40ft long.

Toter / Stacker seems optimal. I suppose, I could initially get the bigger track and start our with the stacker. I think the F250/350/450 should be able to tow that pretty handily. If I get more and more into this than can add the toter.

I think towing the stacker with the rv or toter will be the way to go. I can see how the stacker looks sketchy. My thought is that the two race cars (991.1 Cups) weigh less that towing a good size SUV. Also, once loaded the center of gravity is lowered by getting the top car right on top of the lower car, this is how I have seen it done.
California is not toterhome and stacker trailer friendly. Overall length must be under 65 feet and requires a CDL to drive.

Went thru this with great hearthache
Old 03-14-2018, 02:28 AM
trader247
Instructor

Originally Posted by stujelly
California is not toterhome and stacker trailer friendly. Overall length must be under 65 feet and requires a CDL to drive.

I wonder less and less each day why I moved back to Vegas for Cali
Old 03-14-2018, 04:08 AM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

I'm in the same process, but a little further ahead of you.

I started with a 22 tag, then decided on a 36 GN, then 40 GN, then that became a 36 stacker, and I've now decided to buy a 40ft liftgate stacker. More than likely will go with KY hightech or intech. Buying new, you can spend 50-300k on a trailer, and done right, will have living quarters, slide outs and carry all you want, and stay just under 65 ft with a short toter or LTL truck. Truck wise, a 250/350 I think is too small on a stacker, at a minimum go with the 450 for the larger axle weight capacity as well as larger brakes. Plus the 450 has a better turning radius and is a better truck ( we run fleet 350s and 450s for work). I'm going with a M2 112, which is the larger motor/axle freightliner. Lots of the 106s out there, but they struggle with loaded stackers on grade.

My goal was 2 car, taylor dunn cart, ctech cart, tire cart, plus food, trailer parts, etc. etc. , bathroom, shower, small LQ.

- Intech wont do lift gates, but you can build a 40 GN stacker, for 3 cars, for ~120k. Thats triple axle air ride, glass side and rear sliding doors, ctech cabinetry etc., basically every box checked. No slide out though. Also, 2 car if you make the attic into LQ. Budget, you can do this ~75k.
- ATC, not going there again.
- Renegade will only build with FRP as of 2 months ago on stackers since their building they were using for aluminum stackers is now being used for RVs. I'm not spending this kind of money on FRP. ~160k
- Factory Transports is no longer building but, someone very reputable has purchased them and will be building their trailers again. Billet axles, frames etc...they build axles for goldrush/t&e, and liftgates for a few others. ~220k
- Goldrush havent heard back from
- T&E I have a call with tomorrow, but expect it to be ~240k
- Featherlite wont build less than the 53' semi unless you step down to their more basic level. ~250k, WAG.
- KY Hitech - $??? waiting on quote and engineering to bless off on not needing a semi.

So.....how can we help you spend your money?!?
Old 03-14-2018, 11:43 AM
Hoyt
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

^^^ +1 on the F-450 comments.... much better tow truck all round for what you'll be hauling.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:19 PM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

peruse racing junk toter section. some gooood used and some new stuff there.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:16 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 758 Likes on 498 Posts

Here's a great rig to tow with. Tim, the seller, is a local guy and really takes care of things https://www.racingjunk.com/Tow-Vehic...t-chassis.html
Old 03-21-2018, 01:25 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Single or Dually??
Old 03-21-2018, 01:45 PM
ohenryinatlanta
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Here's a great rig to tow with. Tim, the seller, is a local guy and really takes care of things https://www.racingjunk.com/Tow-Vehic...t-chassis.html

i saw one of those towing an 18' aluminum open trailer
Old 03-21-2018, 03:35 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly

I'm going through this now and been running the traps for awhile. The RV + stacker is definitely the way to go, unless you're bringing full shop support with you. FYI, no CDL needed under 65 feet in Cali.

I've basically settled on a 36 foot RV diesel pusher + 24 foot stacker (+4 foot tongue), which puts me at a just Cali legal 64 feet (plus a 22' trailer to move the cars around town) . The 24 foot trailer is good for full workbench and tools, generator and compressor plus 2 extra sets of wheels. Tight, but very manageable once the cars are unloaded.

The biggest issue is finding the diesel pusher at 36 feet. The added cost for the smaller vehicle compared to large (40'+) is outrageous. You'll also need to have a rig shop weld supports for the hitch/load in order to tow a stacker (not a big deal).
Old 03-21-2018, 05:11 PM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

mehoff - don't you need a noncommercial Class A license to tow a trailer with a GVWR greater than 10k lbs in Cali?

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcmath:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/cdl_htm/lic_chart

I don't live in Cali, but do occasionally go to Chuckwalla. But then again, I have a full CDL Class A...... As stujelly points out, it's not necessarily the length that gets you in Cali, but the weight. Any trailer large enough to haul a car, especially a stacker, will be above the 10k limit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Rig to Haul 2 Cars + Living