Notices

Trailer brake controller that mounts on trailer

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 06:58 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Trailer brake controller that mounts on trailer

Talked to these guys at the American Rental Association trade show. Pretty slick.

https://autowbrake.com/
Old 02-21-2018, 10:10 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Ive been using the tekonsha version for the past 5 years.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:01 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Me too:

http://www.tekonsha.com/products/bra...RB508pViEKmVBf
Old 03-19-2018, 07:38 PM
IPGJames
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

I just installed this one on my Trailex / Cayenne -- super easy...couldn't be happier -- http://www.tekonsha.com/products/bra...RB508pViEKmVBf
Old 03-20-2018, 02:02 PM
pvgolfer
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IPGJames
I just installed this one on my Trailex / Cayenne -- super easy...couldn't be happier -- http://www.tekonsha.com/products/bra...RB508pViEKmVBf
Curious where on the trailer you mounted the Tekonsha RF controller. I just purchased the same controller for my Trailex/Cayenne and plan to mount it on the trailer tongue. Since the trailer jack is currently attached to the driver’s side of the tongue, I plan to mount the controller on the passenger side of the tongue with the 8’ power cord facing toward the rear. This is opposite of what the installation guide suggests, but I confirmed with Tekonsha that mounting the controller in the opposing direction is fine. They only suggest mounting the power cord towards the front so that the exposed 7-pin socket faces towards the rear. This suggested direction minimizes water/road-debris from accumulating in the trailer plug-in socket.

I also would like to know if this cayenne/trailex combo requires a 7-pin LED adapter (Curt part # 57003). My previous tow vehicle was a 2012 MB GL450, which required the adapter in order for the trailer LED lights to function properly.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:11 PM
IPGJames
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

my LED lights are currently blinking so i need to fix that still...interested in the solid answer on that too if someone has it....

but I mounted mine on the passenger side "backwards" after i called them on the phone and confirmed the same info you have - it worked just fine this past weekend on its inaugural trip.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:10 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by pvgolfer
Curious where on the trailer you mounted the Tekonsha RF controller. I just purchased the same controller for my Trailex/Cayenne and plan to mount it on the trailer tongue. Since the trailer jack is currently attached to the driver’s side of the tongue, I plan to mount the controller on the passenger side of the tongue with the 8’ power cord facing toward the rear. This is opposite of what the installation guide suggests, but I confirmed with Tekonsha that mounting the controller in the opposing direction is fine. They only suggest mounting the power cord towards the front so that the exposed 7-pin socket faces towards the rear. This suggested direction minimizes water/road-debris from accumulating in the trailer plug-in socket.

I also would like to know if this cayenne/trailex combo requires a 7-pin LED adapter (Curt part # 57003). My previous tow vehicle was a 2012 MB GL450, which required the adapter in order for the trailer LED lights to function properly.
TowReady makes an LED adapter that is much smaller than the Curt one w/ the big cord FWIW.

Amazon Amazon
Old 08-07-2019, 06:42 PM
Jd_gts
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I tried the Tow Ready version and it did not work. Ordered the Curt one to see if I have any better luck.

I suppose it could also be a fuse, but I checked them and they all looked fine.

Quick Reply: Trailer brake controller that mounts on trailer