Notices

2018 Towing Law Changes Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 09:37 PM
FeuerRacing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Towing Law Changes Discussion

There's supposedly new laws around towing that came out for 2018 that has some people (including me) concerned as we tow two or more cars non-commercially. I've reached out to two transportation lawyers on the subject as there's a lot of information going around and waiting to hear back. Does anyone have any official feedback to share to add to their feedback? When I hear back from the lawyers I will also share.

Here's my situation:
  • 48' - triple axle trailer with 21,000 GVWR
  • F350 with 11,500 GVWR
  • Both truck and trailer are in my name and I am not writing them off as a deduction nor are they in a business name
Anyone have any solid information on whether you need a CDL, Class A, B, C?
Old 01-21-2018, 10:09 PM
FeuerRacing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lawyer 1 got back to me and said "Recreational vehicles driven for personal use (although a CDL is not required, individuals must obtain the proper license class for the vehicle weight)" - then sent me here and said I need to go to a Texas DPS office -> https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/CDL-2.pdf

So my return question is if the CDL Exemption form / Non-CDL class of driving is recognized in other states and am waiting to hear back.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:20 PM
Manda Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Shooting from the hip— 26k or under = class C in Ca. You have 6k truck, 7k trailer and two 3k cars plus 2k tools? Still legal if weighed. WAG

Good topic. I’m coming to TX for Cota in March if I remember to register.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:11 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Historically this has varied by state. What was the law change?

I have a PA Class B non commercial, allowing me to drive my 26,000+ GVWR RV. If I was towing more than 10,000 and had a combined GVWR over 26,000 I'd need a Class A non commercial. Again, that's PA. No idea what the law in Texas is or if the feds have issued something new.

Edit to add: actual weights aren't relevant; it's the combined GVWR that matters.

As for recognition by other states; the examining officer who handed me my Class B endorsement said "now you're good to go in all 50 states" and I'm pretty confident that is accurate.

Last edited by DTMiller; 01-22-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:32 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by FeuerRacing
There's supposedly new laws around towing that came out for 2018 that has some people (including me) concerned as we tow two or more cars non-commercially. I've reached out to two transportation lawyers on the subject as there's a lot of information going around and waiting to hear back. Does anyone have any official feedback to share to add to their feedback? When I hear back from the lawyers I will also share.

Here's my situation:
  • F350 with 11,500 GVWR
  • Both truck and trailer are in my name and I am not writing them off as a deduction nor are they in a business name
In theory, if you're not commercial, it's up to your state. In theory, all other states are supposed to honor your state's licensing/reg rules.

I've heard a suggestion that's a good idea to carry a printout of your state's reg/licensing policies in case you need supporting evidence in a roadside discussion with an out of state law officer.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:59 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Each state does NOT have to honor another states licensing requirements. Here in FL I have a Ram 2500 and a 35' trailer. My gross vehicle is 800 lbs over limit so technically I need a class A CDL. I have heard of people that get pull over in other states not needing the CDL here in FL, but need in some other state and they will impound the vehicle until a licensed CDL moves it. I know where this has happened on numerous race teams.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:02 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Here's my situation:
  • F350 with 11,500 GVWR
I believe, at the GVWR combo, we need a Class A....I'm looking too as I was about to buy a 112 sportchassis, but that puts me way over the 26001 LB rating.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:27 PM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I thought that if you were in TX and had your weights, you were required to have a non commercial CDL license? I read something else here about someone having an experience being told they couldn't drive from TX trooper because they were over the limit. From what i understand, CA and other states are similar. I've never worried about this as I have a CDL.

there is this thread and stujelly had some feedback.

https://rennlist.com/forums/trucks-a...l-with-it.html
Old 01-23-2018, 08:49 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Lawyer 1 got back to me and said "Recreational vehicles driven for personal use (although a CDL is not required, individuals must obtain the proper license class for the vehicle weight)" - then sent me here and said I need to go to a Texas DPS office -> https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/CDL-2.pdf

So my return question is if the CDL Exemption form / Non-CDL class of driving is recognized in other states and am waiting to hear back.
At mimimum then you need a class A non commercial towing that rig. The testing is pretty much the same, though some endorsements i guess could be restricted if such as air brakes, etc. CDL will require medical every year or every 2 years depending on state, which if you are taking essentially the same test, you might as well do the medical for it and be in the clear totally. This year oklahoma has had a hard on for nailing race trailers going through the state (major route east to west coast) and have been issuing a lot of citations....paid on the spot before they let you leave!

Now with that being said and after many conversations with the high way patrol in KS and MO:
If you are towing a race car, they are going to consider you a commercial entity and ticket you accordingly. They are convinced that no one can afford to do that privately, that you will in some way win a trophy, money, award, etc that is considered compensation which puts you in the commercial catergory. For instance, if you are an HPDE instructor, and receive a discount on your entry fee in return for your services....you are considered a commercial entity. Then add to the fact that 75% of the trailers i see towing race cars have some sort of advertisement on them....opens another commercial issue.....

I have asked how that is different from a guy towing a 100k bass boat, and they said it just is, lol.

Now a good lawyer I am sure can repair tickets issued etc, but the hassle of it all is the pain.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:31 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

If your Trailer is less than 10K lbs -- then as long as your Tow Vehicle is less than 26001#, I read this as you are ok with a Class C in Texas.

The below is from the current Texas DPS website:

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/dlClasses.htm

Classification

Description
Class A
Authorizes an individual to drive:
  1. Single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more
  2. A combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 pounds or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds
Class B
  1. Single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more
  2. Single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 pounds or more that is towing a vehicle with a GVWR that does not exceed 10,000 pounds or a farm trailer with a GVWR that does not exceed 20,000 pounds
  3. A bus with a seating capacity of 24 passengers or more including the driver
Class C
  1. Single vehicle or combination of vehicles that are not included in Class A or Class B
  2. Single vehicle with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds towing a farm trailer with a GVWR that does not exceed 20,000 pounds
  3. Designed to transport 23 or less passengers including the driver
    Note: Vehicles rated for the transport of 16-23 passengers including the driver require a Class C CDL, unless exempt
  4. An autocycle.
Class M
Authorizes an individual to drive a motorcycle or moped.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:09 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

All this talk has me thinking that I should get my non-commercial Class A here in Maryland so that I'm legal should I ever move to a larger trailer in the future. The catch is that I need someone who already has their Class A to ride with me while I'm on my Learner's Permit (easy enough to get around...) and also show up with me to take the road test at the DMV. That part is a bit trickier, as I don't know a single person in Maryland with a Class A license. I'd imagine a lot of other states have similar policies, so something else to consider if you're thinking about upgrading your rating.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:18 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by PGas32
All this talk has me thinking that I should get my non-commercial Class A here in Maryland so that I'm legal should I ever move to a larger trailer in the future. The catch is that I need someone who already has their Class A to ride with me while I'm on my Learner's Permit (easy enough to get around...) and also show up with me to take the road test at the DMV. That part is a bit trickier, as I don't know a single person in Maryland with a Class A license. I'd imagine a lot of other states have similar policies, so something else to consider if you're thinking about upgrading your rating.
For anyone who is in this spot, stop by the local car dealership that delivers loaners to clients and takes their car in for service. Tons of those guys are retired truck drivers who have their CDL and generally have sufficiently flexible schedules to accommodate your "10:40 a.m. on Tuesday" road test appointment. That's how I found the guy who went with me.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:12 PM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

My experience has been that the requirements are different with each cop that pulls you over
Most don't truly know the laws. I have a CDL A with all endorsements as I do haul cars for
clients so I am commercial.
One point I will make though is if you put "Private motor home" or such on your truck
you had better have proof that you own everything you're hauling
Old 02-06-2018, 10:01 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 527 Likes on 282 Posts

Years ago I was hauling my 40’ trailer with my F350 dually diesel.pulled it for years, no issue. Even pulled it to Newfoundland, no issue. One day crossing Newburg-Beacon bridge in NY, got pulled. Officer asked for my CDL, which of course I didn’t have. Asked for my log books, emergency stuff, etc...everything needed in a commercial vehicle. Again, obviously had none. Said my combined GVW was over 26,000 lbs (it was something like 26,100 or so) Impounded my truck and trailer. Luckily I knew a cop in the area that convinced the inspection officer to have me towed to his house. After which he told me how to get home without the bridge... had to go back months later to contest it in court, which I lost.

They add up the GVW on the VIN plates on the truck and trailer. Doesn’t matter how heavy you are, only what the plates say, combined...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Quick Reply: 2018 Towing Law Changes Discussion