Notices

X5 35d - should I spec w/ self-leveling?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 02:03 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Default X5 35d - should I spec w/ self-leveling?

I am going to trade in my F15 X5 35i for a new F15 35d and I am trying to decide whether to spec it with self-leveling air rear suspension, which also comes with dynamic damper control. The alternative is the standard coil spring suspension with struts that are not electronically controlled. I'm weighing potential reliability issues related to self-leveling vs. performance advantages the system may offer in terms of towing. I will be towing a Trailex open trailer with a GT4 on it. My 35i did not have the self-leveling option, and it did get the job done, but the rear end did sag moderately when the loaded trailer was attached. Obviously, self-leveling would prevent sagging and perhaps avoid any associated handling issues, but it is also more complicated and prone to failure than a standard coil spring strut. Anyone have any thoughts that my help me decide?
Old 01-18-2018, 02:39 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

I had air suspension on my Cayenne and my Q7 and it is an absolute must for me if you are able to spec a tow vehicle from scratch. It also helps when you have to load a low clearance car on your trailer as you can raise the rear of the tow vehicle and reduce the ramp angle on the trailer. I have no idea whether those systems a failure prone on BMWs.

Also: Get a tongue weight scale and check your tongue weight for correct car positioning.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:59 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I had air suspension on my Cayenne and my Q7 and it is an absolute must for me if you are able to spec a tow vehicle from scratch. It also helps when you have to load a low clearance car on your trailer as you can raise the rear of the tow vehicle and reduce the ramp angle on the trailer. I have no idea whether those systems a failure prone on BMWs.

Also: Get a tongue weight scale and check your tongue weight for correct car positioning.
I don’t think the X5 allows you to adjust the rear ride height as you described above. I believe it self-levels only. I do have a tongue weight scale and tongue weight was not a problem with the standard suspension on the 35i. It should not change much but the ball height might be slightly higher with the self-leveling setup and that will change the tongue weight some.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:27 PM
jrbkarter
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, absolutely get the self leveling rear suspension. Especially since it's going to be a brand new tow vehicle and have a warranty, what's to worry about if something does fail for the first several years? Regardless, even outside of warranty (see my 102k mile Cayenne Turbo for example) I would rather pay the repair costs of the air suspension than tow without it. Having towed thousands of miles with at the very least rear air/self leveling in a Denali, Yukon XL, RAM 2500 and even a RAM 3500, it's a 100% must have if at all possible on a tow rig. The benefits, both towing and unladen, far out weigh the potential "what if's" your brain is conjuring.

When in doubt, ask your salesman to let you take a test drive in an X5 with the rear air suspension and your trailer, you'll notice the improvements immediately (though this could be complicated if the X5 doesn't have a built in brake controller- which I presume it doesn't. Prodigy RF to the rescue!).
Old 01-18-2018, 05:29 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrbkarter
Yes, absolutely get the self leveling rear suspension. Especially since it's going to be a brand new tow vehicle and have a warranty, what's to worry about if something does fail for the first several years? Regardless, even outside of warranty (see my 102k mile Cayenne Turbo for example) I would rather pay the repair costs of the air suspension than tow without it. Having towed thousands of miles with at the very least rear air/self leveling in a Denali, Yukon XL, RAM 2500 and even a RAM 3500, it's a 100% must have if at all possible on a tow rig. The benefits, both towing and unladen, far out weigh the potential "what if's" your brain is conjuring.

When in doubt, ask your salesman to let you take a test drive in an X5 with the rear air suspension and your trailer, you'll notice the improvements immediately (though this could be complicated if the X5 doesn't have a built in brake controller- which I presume it doesn't. Prodigy RF to the rescue!).
What specifically makes you like the self leveling setup so much? With respect to test driving, I did test drive an X5 with self leveling, but there are no X5 cars on dealer lots that have tow hitches, so testing with the trailer is impossible. BMW does not offer a factory installed tow package. You have to add it after purchasing the car. My plan is to have the dealer transfer the hitch I have on my 35i to the 35d when the 35d arrives.

Last edited by Shandingo; 01-20-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:02 PM
jrbkarter
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

First and foremost, ride quality. Both with and without the trailer, is significantly improved, with the air suspension. Even rear seat passengers (I believe the 3rd row option is not available with the air suspension though?) will appreciate the improvement in ride quality. As for why it becomes a no brainer to me if you're towing with the vehicle, even semi-regularly, is the stability it offers over the standard suspension. Even with a light open trailer, it's still critical that your tongue weight, and therefore your car placement on the trailer, is correct. Assuming a 3200lb GT4, a 1500lb trailer, and lets say 200lbs of fuel, spare tires/wheels, jack, what have you, you're at just shy of 5000lbs. At that point, your minimum tongue weight should be 500lbs and upwards of 750lbs if you go to the high side of the 10-15% rule of thumb. That's a solid amount of weight to expect a mid size SUV rear suspension to haul well behind the rear axle. Almost any factory steel coil spring suspension is going to experience significant squat at those weights, which is where a weight distribution hitch comes into play. However, there's only so much a WD hitch can do (I used one in conjunction with the air/self leveling on my Denali) to get the whole setup happy and level again. The major negatives of too much squat are light steering feel, reduced braking capability, and everyone's favorite- headlights pointed at the sky. When you take into consideration a lot of aluminum trailers can't be used with a WD hitch (without additional reinforcement plates), along with the added cost/setup/etc of a WD system, the self leveling rear becomes the much more elegant solution.

With all of that said though- I'd double check on the weight ratings of the hitch setup of the X5 as it (presumably) will be a Class IV setup which means it will have two different tongue/GTW ratings. One will be weight carrying- which is the amount possible with just a standard tow bar/ball combo. The other will be weight distributing- which will require the use of a weight distribution hitch in order to use those higher amounts. More than likely you'll be fine with just the weight carrying capacities which means the self leveling is a must in my book- otherwise you'll be squatting with no easy solution. If your weight exceeds those limits, and you have to go with a WD setup, then you will need to confirm a WD hitch can be used with the self leveling suspension (for example- Porsche does not allow it- but that's because it's a full 4 corner system. The Denali was only rear leveling and DID allow WD hitches) and then decide if the benefits of the self leveling still make sense. To me, they absolutely do, but it's a lot harder to justify if you don't have the ability to test the system towing ahead of time.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:15 PM
lmnsblu355
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Third Row option automatically comes with the self leveling option. I'm on my second X5d with third row. Tows an open trailer very well. No rearend sag and you hardly know the trailer is there.

DO NOT use a weight distribution hitch on an X5. The hitch is mounted to 4 bolts on the unibody. The torque from the WD setup can literally twist the chassis. BMW and Execuhitch both specifically warn against using a WD hitch on the X5. Keep tongue weight below 600 lbs and you'll be fine with the self leveling suspension.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:28 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lmnsblu355
Third Row option automatically comes with the self leveling option. I'm on my second X5d with third row. Tows an open trailer very well. No rearend sag and you hardly know the trailer is there.

DO NOT use a weight distribution hitch on an X5. The hitch is mounted to 4 bolts on the unibody. The torque from the WD setup can literally twist the chassis. BMW and Execuhitch both specifically warn against using a WD hitch on the X5. Keep tongue weight below 600 lbs and you'll be fine with the self leveling suspension.
Thanks. Do you have the plain vanilla DDC/rear air rear suspension or the M sport version, or DHP? My car has been ordered with plain vanilla DDC/air ride rear suspension, but I am tempted to change it to DHP, which everyone seems to rave about. DHP is $4,500 though and the plain DDC/air suspension is only $1,500. Also, I am sure that if any of the components in the DHP package break out of warranty, it would cost a fortune to fix them.

Last edited by Shandingo; 01-21-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:37 PM
lmnsblu355
Rennlist Member

I have the self leveling suspension that comes with the third row seat. I don't know for sure
if it includes the DDC option.

Definitely install the factory tow wiring harness. This will interface with your suspension and adjust appropriately when towing.
I've now done the hitch install on 3 X5's. Very easy including the wiring. The invisihitch is a better option than BMW factory (IMHO).

Old 01-20-2018, 08:08 AM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lmnsblu355
I have the self leveling suspension that comes with the third row seat. I don't know for sure
if it includes the DDC option.

Definitely install the factory tow wiring harness. This will interface with your suspension and adjust appropriately when towing.
I've now done the hitch install on 3 X5's. Very easy including the wiring. The invisihitch is a better option than BMW factory (IMHO).

Thanks. I have the BMW factory wiring harness and lighting control modul and an Invisihitch on my X5 35i now and it has worked out great. I was already planning to have the dealer just transfer all of that equipment to the 35d when it arrives. Hopefully they will be able to do that without any issues. My 35i is a 2017 and the 35d is a 2018, but I believe everything should still fit the same on both trucks and hopefully the technician will be competent.

Btw, do you have the Dynamic Handling Package on your 35d? I am seriously considering adding that having read so many positive reviews of it, but I am concerned about how reliable the components are. I understand that it uses a special differential, and I don’t know if it is as robust as the standard diff. BMW’s website doesn’t even discribe the components, and instead just says the package improves handling, so I am really working with imperfect information.

Edit: I just realized you already answered the question whether you have DHP. I read your post in my email and did not see your respnse to the question. Let me ask a related question though: how do you like the suspension on your X5 both for towing and for everyday driving. My X5 will be my daily driver as well as my tow vehicle and I want to avoid suspension that is too soft. I have read a lot of complaints regarding the standard coil spring suspension but I have that setup on my 35i and it seems fine. I definitely want to get self-leveling/air this time, but DHP includes those features too.

Last edited by Shandingo; 01-20-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:13 AM
lmnsblu355
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shandingo

Thanks. I have the BMW factory wiring harness and lighting control modul and an Invisihitch on my X5 35i now and it has worked out great. I was already planning to have the dealer just transfer all of that equipment to the 35d when it arrives. Hopefully they will be able to do that without any issues. My 35i is a 2017 and the 35d is a 2018, but I believe everything should still fit the same on both trucks and hopefully the technician will be competent.

Btw, do you have the Dynamic Handling Package on your 35d? I am seriously considering adding that having read so many positive reviews of it, but I am concerned about how reliable the components are. I understand that it uses a special differential, and I don’t know if it is as robust as the standard diff. BMW’s website doesn’t even discribe the components, and instead just says the package improves handling, so I am really working with imperfect information.

Edit: I just realized you already answered the question whether you have DHP. I read your post in my email and did not see your respnse to the question. Let me ask a related question though: how do you like the suspension on your X5 both for towing and for everyday driving. My X5 will be my daily driver as well as my tow vehicle and I want to avoid suspension that is too soft. I have read a lot of complaints regarding the standard coil spring suspension but I have that setup on my 35i and it seems fine. I definitely want to get self-leveling/air this time, but DHP includes those features too.
the X5 handles great for a big heavy SUV. I wouldn't want to take it on a track but for everyday driving and for towing an open trailer, it is very comfortable yet sporty. While it's possible having the upgraded suspension might make it handle more like a sports car, it is still an SUV. I guess if you have only one vehicle and need the thrill of twisty roads, upgraded suspension might be a plus. I personally wouldn't spend the extra money on the suspension but then again I get to drive my other cars for the excitement of driving.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:27 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

I beat on my F85 X5 on the track (has dynamic dampers and rear air suspension), and tow an enclosed trailex 4K+ miles and it's been pretty solid. I can't imaging you'd ever put that much load on it occasionally towing an open trailer and as a daily driver. Also never had any trouble with my 2013 E70M.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:27 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I beat on my F85 X5 on the track (has dynamic dampers and rear air suspension), and tow an enclosed trailex 4K+ miles and it's been pretty solid. I can't imaging you'd ever put that much load on it occasionally towing an open trailer and as a daily driver. Also never had any trouble with my 2013 E70M.
Which Trailex do you tow and how much tongue weight is it putting on your tow hitch?
Old 01-28-2018, 09:36 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Shandingo

Which Trailex do you tow and how much tongue weight is it putting on your tow hitch?
It's a 2005 1841 (replaced by the 84180). Tongue weight is set to 600-680 depending on tires in rack or not. Gross weight is about 5200lbs with cayman in it.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:09 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
It's a 2005 1841 (replaced by the 84180). Tongue weight is set to 600-680 depending on tires in rack or not. Gross weight is about 5200lbs with cayman in it.
Thanks. Isn't the max tongue weight on the X5 600 lbs.?

Quick Reply: X5 35d - should I spec w/ self-leveling?