Notices

Seeking trailer height angle opinion

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 09:58 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Seeking trailer height angle opinion

here's the fact pattern. i have Ram 3500 duallie. has the factory 5th wheel 5 puck system. i have a toy hauler motorhome, 5th wheel. i have a curt 5th wheel that goes in the bed of the truck in the puck system.
and i have a gooseneck race car trailer 42 feet, gvwr 21000, 3 x 7k axles. gooseneck. i have a reese gooseneck ball that ,w hen the 5th wheel hitch is removed, slips in there in 20 seconds.
the 5th wheel hitch is a heavy, 2 person thing to move in and out and you ahve to put it someplace usually in the gargage of the toy hauler when not using it

so my thought was to get an adapter for the gooseneck tube and instead of it being a gooseneck tube, it would be a 5th wheel tube. an inexpensive piece to replace that tube, and the idea would be i would end up with 5th wheel toy hauler and 5th wheel car trailer and not have to monkey around with swtiching hitches.
heres the rub: whe you put the 5th wheel tub on the gooseneck receiver tube, its very tall even iwith the tube pushed all the way in. basically its a smidge too tall.
so, i can adjust the actual hitch in the bed and lower it by 2 1/2 or 5 inches. its in the highest position now for the toy hauler and that lets it travel level.

so when i lower the thing by 2 1/2 inches, m now effetive with the toy hauler 2 1/2 inches lower in front. than in the rear when its connected to the 5th wheel hitch.
and the other issue with the toy hauler, beyond the 2 1/2 negative rake...is that the clearance goe from like 5 1/2 inches above the side walls of the bed, to like 4. that is, when turning, the toy hauler goose neck area only clears the sides of the bed of the truck by 4 inches. so wondering if the negative rake is an issue and if 4 inches is sufficent do you think?

and then the corrolary is that the race car trailer, with the lower 5th wheel height, can now use the 5th wheel tube, and i dont ahve to flip flop the hitches/gooseneck ball in the trailer bed. but its still about 2 1/2 inches positive rake. front is 2 1/2 higher than rear . it was 5 before and lowering the 5th wheel hitch in the bed dropped the front 2 1/2 . so its still 2 1/2 rank front of trailer a tad higher than rear. plenty of clearance on the sides of the bed of truck so no issues there.
on the race trailer, is that an issue the front being 2 1/2 inches higher than the rear? handlng? balance? center of gravity.

i dont want to drop the hitch another 2 inches, thogh it has the holes and rooms to do it, for whiel that might level the trailer, it would really reduce the clearance of the toy hauler over the side of the truck bed walls.

thoughts? ideas? something im not thinking of??
Old 11-25-2017, 11:23 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

I could be in outer space about this but I remember reading about replacing the entire hitch bracket, not just a part. I don't remember if it was a one way conversion or not, like being able to convert an A to a B type, but B types cannot be converted to A.

Quick Reply: Seeking trailer height angle opinion