Notices

Horizontal or vertical airline track?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 01:58 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts
Question Horizontal or vertical airline track?

I want to install some airline track on the walls of my Intech trailer. I normally see track installed horizontally, but saw someone post this picture inside their trailer.

Maybe they did this to anchor more securely to the aluminum studs in the wall?

Which way is more versatile?
Old 10-02-2017, 02:49 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

I think it depends on what you plan on securing with it. I have horizontal etrack secured at every stud. It holds 4 shoring beams and 16 tires and is pretty damn secure. PS that is not etrack in the picture, but Ltrack. More options for mounts on etrack, and lower profile, but both work.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:04 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Well, at this point I'm only thinking of securing an EZ up and maybe a bicycle. Ltrack (same as airline track?) should be strong enough. I like the smaller footprint of it also.

So when you install it horizontally on the walls, do you do two rows? How high from the floor?
Old 10-04-2017, 05:45 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

airplane or L track is strong enough, heck it holds the seats on airplanes, and it looks nicer, but there’s not as many different accessories to tie stuff down.

My etrack is just one row, about 8 feet long on each side of the trailer, about 4’ high, so the tires end up sitting above the hood of my car.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:34 AM
rastta
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Well, at this point I'm only thinking of securing an EZ up and maybe a bicycle. Ltrack (same as airline track?) should be strong enough. I like the smaller footprint of it also.

So when you install it horizontally on the walls, do you do two rows? How high from the floor?
Depends on what you need to secure. I decided to use smaller sections - and in one case used one strip to secure my folding table because it sat on top of the inner fenders. In another - for my pop up - I used two - one upper and one lower. You can see location on the pop up by where the straps are.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:25 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Ok, so you have one horizontal and two vertical. So you basically do whatever you need to secure your specific items.

The only downside to that is if you sell it, the next owner might have different needs. I guess there's no universal way to do this that will work for everybody.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:02 PM
rastta
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Ok, so you have one horizontal and two vertical. So you basically do whatever you need to secure your specific items.

The only downside to that is if you sell it, the next owner might have different needs. I guess there's no universal way to do this that will work for everybody.
Nope all are horizontal. Since I have no "inner walls" on my trailer - the tracks themselves support the item and keep it away from the trailer "skin". I don't see any benefit to going vertical - as you would have a 16" width between the tracks and it would be non-adjustable. With horizontal - all your widths are highly adjustable.

They are simply screwed in - if someone wanted to change them it would be simple.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:07 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Oh. It was real hard to see how the pop up was attached. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:53 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

may I suggest also powdercoating it the same color as the walls then it disappears

Run it vertical may give you more tie down options

To tie down s csr you want to use steel E track not aluminum airline track.

The aluminum starts to wear and the holes begin to elongate and the clips pop out

Quick Reply: Horizontal or vertical airline track?