Notices

Hub odometer for car trailer?

Old 09-13-2017, 10:09 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Hub odometer for car trailer?

I would like to put a hub odometer on my 20 foot enclosed trailer so I can keep better track of mileage for maintenance purposes.

I have dual 3000 pound axles and the wheels are 15" with a five lug pattern on a 4.5 inch circle. Tires are 205/75–15.

I'm shocked that I can't find any kits out there. I called Etrailer.com and they don't stock any hub odometers at all.

It looks likes Stemco has plenty of hub odometers but the challenge will be finding a bracket to mount over the five lugs.

I saw on a truck forum I found via Google there was some concern about the hub odometer sticking out too far because of the protruding center hub cap. However I would expect to just remove this so the hub odometer would not stick out any further than the center hub cap does currently.

Does anyone else have a hub odometer mounted to their car trailer and if so, where did you find the mounting bracket?

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2017, 01:41 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

That would be kind of cool if it was cheap enough.

I do it the old fashion way. I keep a log book of the miles traveled. Of course you have to remember to log after each trip!
Old 09-13-2017, 02:07 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Of course you have to remember to log after each trip!
Exactly why I'm looking for something like this! I cannot trust myself to remember to do that all the time.

I just thought of another solution that would be pretty easy. Hook up an equipment hour meter to the power feed coming in from the tow vehicle. I'm pretty sure my average speed with the trailer is somewhere between 50 and 60 mph since it's 95% highway mileage.

I might just go ahead and do this. It'll be a lot cheaper and quicker.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:21 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

One thing Indid like about my F150 pickup, it tracked miles while hooked up to trailer separately. It was kind of nice, and I didn't have to remember anything. Sounds like you're trying to rig something similar.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:23 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
One thing Indid like about my F150 pickup, it tracked miles while hooked up to trailer separately. It was kind of nice, and I didn't have to remember anything. Sounds like you're trying to rig something similar.
But now you have to remember to set/reset it each time. The OP did say that his memory can't be trusted.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:11 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
But now you have to remember to set/reset it each time. The OP did say that his memory can't be trusted.
Huh? Nothing to set. It sensed when a trailer was hooked up and logged the miles. Only thing to change was if you had 2 different trailers. My current truck does not have that feature.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:32 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Their is such device. Take a read on my trailer thread. I installed one on my trailer and it's awesome. I did it for exact same reasons stated already.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hub odometer for car trailer?