Notices

Tire rack for back of pickup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 08:34 PM
Jferrante
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Tire rack for back of pickup?

Has anyone made or come across an easy solution for transporting 1 or 2 sets of wheels and tires in the back of their pickup? I am currently just rolling the wheels up to the cab and fishing a tiedown through them all and ratcheting them down. This works but isn't the easiest.
Curious if anyone has done anything different?
Old 08-29-2017, 09:35 PM
Dave DE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I built a tire rack for my truck from lumber-the low tech, low budget approach. I use a couple of 2x4's on edge spaced about a foot apart with a plywood plate at each end to keep the tires from falling sideways. I ripped the top of the 2x4s at a 30 degree angle to match the curve of the tire. The plywood plates have a half circle cut out of them so they only touch the tire, not the wheel.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:49 PM
Jferrante
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dave DE
I built a tire rack for my truck from lumber-the low tech, low budget approach. I use a couple of 2x4's on edge spaced about a foot apart with a plywood plate at each end to keep the tires from falling sideways. I ripped the top of the 2x4s at a 30 degree angle to match the curve of the tire. The plywood plates have a half circle cut out of them so they only touch the tire, not the wheel.
sounds like what I was thinking do you have pictures?
Old 08-30-2017, 04:38 PM
Dave DE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the one I have on my tire wagon. The one in the truck has taller end plates with a cutout to clear the wheels as described above.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:53 AM
Jferrante
Rennlist Member

simple enough

Quick Reply: Tire rack for back of pickup?