Notices

Solar panels on an enclosed trailer. Who has done it ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 07:15 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 299 Likes on 181 Posts

i've done this on my RV and am working on the install on my current trailer. if you have any specific questions, ill try to answer them
Old 09-07-2017, 11:27 AM
rastta
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ngng
i've done this on my RV and am working on the install on my current trailer. if you have any specific questions, ill try to answer them
Is "list what parts you are using and calculations for wattage use" a specific enough question? :-) In all seriousness, I've calc'd stuff out but in reality not really sure if it's right. Since I'm at a much smaller scale that you - I'm curious to see how much panel and battery you are going to use.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:27 PM
ngng
Drifting

Originally Posted by rastta
Is "list what parts you are using and calculations for wattage use" a specific enough question? :-) In all seriousness, I've calc'd stuff out but in reality not really sure if it's right. Since I'm at a much smaller scale that you - I'm curious to see how much panel and battery you are going to use.
no

so, the best place to start is to calc your amp hour usage, this will size your battery bank. oncce you've sized your bank, you can determine the inverter you'd like to use and the # of panels and charge controller you'll need to keep it charged. there are other things you can add as well, like monitoring systems

there are other questions like, do you want to auto switch between shore/inverter/generator? or just shore/inverter?

i will be running 4x160w panels pushing ~35 amps (i don't recall exactly) to mppt morningstar charege controller for a ~600ah battery bank. i will auto switch between gen/shore/inveter.

this might be helpful:

Old 09-07-2017, 08:18 PM
rastta
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

no

so, the best place to start is to calc your amp hour usage, this will size your battery bank. oncce you've sized your bank, you can determine the inverter you'd like to use and the # of panels and charge controller you'll need to keep it charged. there are other things you can add as well, like monitoring systems

there are other questions like, do you want to auto switch between shore/inverter/generator? or just shore/inverter?

i will be running 4x160w panels pushing ~35 amps (i don't recall exactly) to mppt morningstar charege controller for a ~600ah battery bank. i will auto switch between gen/shore/inveter.

this might be helpful:

Thanks. You should be able to run a bunch of stuff (at the same time) off that - I'm looking at about 200 watts or so of panels and 150ah of battery - but then again - I don't anticipate running a bunch of stuff together. I don't need a generator - but will want to autoswitch with shore power. Thanks for the diagram it is helpful.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:32 PM
ngng
Drifting

Thanks. You should be able to run a bunch of stuff (at the same time) off that - I'm looking at about 200 watts or so of panels and 150ah of battery - but then again - I don't anticipate running a bunch of stuff together. I don't need a generator - but will want to autoswitch with shore power. Thanks for the diagram it is helpful.
autoswitch /w shore power should be easy. just find a inveter that has a pass through and you should be set!
Old 09-09-2017, 09:04 AM
Ak47si
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am planning to have solar panel with charging controller on my enclosed trailer to maintain the deep cycle battery for winch function weeks to weeks during the track season.

In Winter, I am also planning to store my 911 inside the trailer. Does that mean I can also use the power source from the solar panel to maintain my 911 car battery and the deep cycle battery for the winch??

here are few of my options I think it would work,maybe you guys can help.

1) hook up the deep cycle battery from the solar panel charging controller, then from the deep cycle battery hook up a positive and negative wire right to the 911 car battery ( just like how you would when you need to jump start the car from one battery to another battery or car to car) . Would this setup work and won't harm anything ? So basically I am hooking up two batteries from the solar charger controller.

2) Get a power inverter that convert 12 V D.C to 110 AC from the deep cycle battery ( solar power charging to this battery for (winch). Then use my CTEK battery tricker charger/maintainer plug into the inverter then to my 911?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

alan
Old 09-09-2017, 10:16 AM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 138 Posts

Mussl Kar, your sig says "viper" green.....did you paint it? According to Eduardo on this site all .1 RS's were "RS" green.....not viper.

What am I missing?
Old 09-10-2017, 07:35 AM
Ak47si
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brandon_
Mussl Kar, your sig says "viper" green.....did you paint it? According to Eduardo on this site all .1 RS's were "RS" green.....not viper.

What am I missing?
how does that relates to this thread. ?

Back to the thread topic please. Greatly appreciated.
Alan.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:16 AM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ak47si
how does that relates to this thread. ?

Back to the thread topic please. Greatly appreciated.
Alan.

Don't be so sensitive....its a simple question.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:31 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I am planning to have solar panel with charging controller on my enclosed trailer to maintain the deep cycle battery for winch function weeks to weeks during the track season.

In Winter, I am also planning to store my 911 inside the trailer. Does that mean I can also use the power source from the solar panel to maintain my 911 car battery and the deep cycle battery for the winch??

1) hook up the deep cycle battery from the solar panel charging controller, then from the deep cycle battery hook up a positive and negative wire right to the 911 car battery ( just like how you would when you need to jump start the car from one battery to another battery or car to car) . Would this setup work and won't harm anything ? So basically I am hooking up two batteries from the solar charger controller.

2) Get a power inverter that convert 12 V D.C to 110 AC from the deep cycle battery ( solar power charging to this battery for (winch). Then use my CTEK battery tricker charger/maintainer plug into the inverter then to my 911?

alan
you might be able to get away with that, buti like the cteks thus a cheap inverter might be smarter. those cteks help regulate adn then put it in maintain mode, etc. and id get a battery isolator if you go battery to battery so it only drains one way, else you could find yourself with two dead battreies.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:13 PM
ngng
Drifting

alan
what you are looking for is a smart battery combiner
https://www.solar-electric.com/me-sbc.html
Old 09-12-2017, 09:20 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon_

What am I missing?
Some colors have 2 names from what I can tell. You need the secret list.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

no

this might be helpful:

Thanks, looks sim to what I am thinking. Currently thinking 800 watts of panels and 400 ah of gel batteries. Mission creep I guess. I will be adding something like a Dometic RV refrigerator and need enough ah to run it all night. Ice and freezer packs take up a lot of cooler space so am not sure yet how big of a unit to get.
Also making this a winter/early spring project as the season is coming to an end and a few vacations out of the country are coming up. Luck that I have heated space at work to store trailer while I work on it.
Big list.
Wheel bearings and brakes.
Repair perimeter seal around roof, involves removing a 3" wide silicon caulk band that has a hairline crack in it all around.
Make new aluminum ramps that are lighter. (mad fabrication skilz)
Swap fluorescent lights for LED lights, already have 12 volt LED ceiling lights.
Convert swing open cabinet doors to flip up with gas springs.
Add drawers to top of tire racks to keep all tools organized.
Hunt down Nitrogen leaks between tank and hose reel.
Make easier to use Nitrogen tank holder with easy to reach valve too.
And all the solar stuff and etc.
And sort out the gooseneck attic. Stuff gets tossed up there and just needs to be tossed out. Like the pair of aluminum crutches.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:00 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Great list of to-dos. Post up info on the fluorescent to LED swap. I'm considering that myself.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:05 AM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Some colors have 2 names from what I can tell. You need the secret list.
No such thing as a secret list. RS and Viper are 2 completely different greens. Your car is RS green (color code 2D8) but for some reason are choosing to call it Viper (color code 225).

Quick Reply: Solar panels on an enclosed trailer. Who has done it ?