Notices

OEM BMW X5 brake controller

Old 09-11-2018, 12:23 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Everything you could need is in this thread.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:43 AM
geta356
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ShakeNBake,

I have the bmw x5 wiring harness installed and have the plug at the right rear panel location. I was wondering where to get the cable with the right connectors from the controller to the plug in the back..

GT
Old 09-11-2018, 12:53 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

you could probably make your own, but the only one I know of is the OEM cable that comes with the BMW prodigy controller.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:23 AM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by geta356
rodneyr

I am having the same trouble with my Tekonsha Prodigy rf brake controller. Goes inop' with the turn signals on.
I want to install the P2 or P3 controller too. Where did you get the cable from the unit to the plug in the back. Etrailer is my vendor, and does not have the cable..

GT
The BMW OEM E70 Brake cable is the key. I purchased it directly from my local BMW dealer. I was looking online for a discount and getting it at my dealer was the best option at that time. They usually get parts in 1-2 days.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:31 PM
Jon Schepps
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The wiring harness that came with my hitch included the mating (male) connector for the controller (the female connector is part of the wiring harness). I attached this connector to the 4 wires for the controller - 12V, Ground, Brake Switch/Lamp (in), and E-Brake (out).
Old 03-11-2019, 02:24 PM
mini-me
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Jon Schepps
The wiring harness that came with my hitch included the mating (male) connector for the controller (the female connector is part of the wiring harness). I attached this connector to the 4 wires for the controller - 12V, Ground, Brake Switch/Lamp (in), and E-Brake (out).
I know this is an old thread and probably solved this but here are the parts you need:

82712349500 Retrofit kit tow hitch wiring harness (Harness with connector for E70 brake controller cable)
71606889589 Control unit for trailer hitch
Old 03-14-2019, 01:50 PM
Digitalwave
AutoX

The Prodigy P2 is outdated. It would not be plug and play like the BMW branded P2 kit, but you can get a Prodigy P3 and splice in your own connector for the 4 wires (or just splice the wires if you don't require it to be removable).

The wiring harness that comes with the Stealth hitch is not BMW OEM wiring, but the module/controller BMW OEM. Stealth includes a Weatherpak connector to hard wire an electronic brake controller and tells you which wire is which. The female side is pre-wired on the harness they provide, and they supply you the male side to wire up to whatever brake controller that you select. It's easy to do. The P3 wiring harness is much too short, but you can extend it with similar gauge wire yourself.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:16 PM
mini-me
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Digitalwave
The Prodigy P2 is outdated. It would not be plug and play like the BMW branded P2 kit, but you can get a Prodigy P3 and splice in your own connector for the 4 wires (or just splice the wires if you don't require it to be removable).

The wiring harness that comes with the Stealth hitch is not BMW OEM wiring, but the module/controller BMW OEM. Stealth includes a Weatherpak connector to hard wire an electronic brake controller and tells you which wire is which. The female side is pre-wired on the harness they provide, and they supply you the male side to wire up to whatever brake controller that you select. It's easy to do. The P3 wiring harness is much too short, but you can extend it with similar gauge wire yourself.
Interesting about the stealth "active" harness. I bought the stealth hitch and purchased the control module and harness from my BMW parts connection. If you purchase the harness from your BMW dealer, you can order Pollak
11893 11893
Socket and
12-711U 12-711U
bracket and it will all snap together. Prodigy P2, P3 and BMW P2 all have the same connector so if you use the E70 brake controller cable, all 3 actual controllers will work but of course you will have the BMW P2 by default.

I keep thinking about the P3 as an upgrade but only see the display and presets for multiple trailers as what is "new". Is there something I am missing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OEM BMW X5 brake controller