Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Taycan (https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan-241/)
-   -   Taycan Home Charging Issues (https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan/1405262-taycan-home-charging-issues.html)

CarmineGT3 03-28-2024 12:35 PM

Taycan Home Charging Issues

For the last four months, I have been getting a blinking red light on my Tesla home charger when I charge my 2022 Taycan 4S. I have had it for almost two years and this started happening suddenly at the end of last year. I have a Tesla charger because I previously had a Tesla and got an adaptor to use for Porsche. My wife has an EQS SUV and there is no problem charging her car with the same Tesla charger and adaptor and no blinking red light but on the Taycan I get the blinking light after 30 minutes or so and the charging slows down and the light indicates a high temperature. I took my Taycan to Porsche and they did a software update and told me there are no issues with the battery pack but I'm still having these charger related issues and the car takes much longer to charge than ever before. Any advice or recommendations? I don't mind changing my home EV charger but again I have no issues charging my wife's EV or our Tesla.

CarAholic 03-28-2024 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by CarmineGT3
For the last four months, I have been getting a blinking red light on my Tesla home charger when I charge my 2022 Taycan 4S. I have had it for almost two years and this started happening suddenly at the end of last year. I have a Tesla charger because I previously had a Tesla and got an adaptor to use for Porsche. My wife has an EQS SUV and there is no problem charging her car with the same Tesla charger and adaptor and no blinking red light but on the Taycan I get the blinking light after 30 minutes or so and the charging slows down and the light indicates a high temperature. I took my Taycan to Porsche and they did a software update and told me there are no issues with the battery pack but I'm still having these charger related issues and the car takes much longer to charge than ever before. Any advice or recommendations? I don't mind changing my home EV charger but again I have no issues charging my wife's EV or our Tesla.

Drain the battery to under 20% let it sit over night then charge back up to 100%. This will rebalance the cells and trigger any battery codes if you have them.

leftlane 03-28-2024 10:18 PM

Are you having issues charging the Taycan with any other chargers? Is your Tesla wall charger up to date?

sean4510 04-01-2024 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by CarmineGT3 (Post 19357612)

Having the same issue with 2022 Taycan Turbo S. Using a JuiceBox40 home charger. We also have a Rivian R1T that has no issues charging. The dealer replaced the HV heater about a month ago because the heat wasnt working and I was told it may be the culplit for the charging errors as well. The last few weeks though I keep getting charging errors after like 15 mins of charging. I'm not using any charging schedules on the JuiceBox app or the porsche app. Every time I get the error I have to go into the JuiceBox app and click "Resume charging"...usually that works, but it inevitably errors out again shortly after.

CarAholic 04-02-2024 07:23 AM

Most likely it's the high voltage charger in the car that is causing the problems. I would do a cell rebalancing before taking it to the dealer. Codes won't trigger until that's done and not all dealers know to do it.

sean4510 04-02-2024 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by CarAholic (Post 19365366)
Most likely it's the high voltage charger in the car that is causing the problems. I would do a cell rebalancing before taking it to the dealer. Codes won't trigger until that's done and not all dealers know to do it.

got it, thanks. How do you do that?

CarmineGT3 04-04-2024 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by sean4510 (Post 19365393)
got it, thanks. How do you do that?

Thank you!

Will try to follow your advice above about training the battery to below 20% and then letting the car sit for one day before charging up to 100% to see if that makes a difference

THEDOD 04-09-2024 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by CarmineGT3 (Post 19368970)
Thank you!

Will try to follow your advice above about training the battery to below 20% and then letting the car sit for one day before charging up to 100% to see if that makes a difference

did you get this situation rectified?

harley_ 05-10-2024 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by sean4510 (Post 19364450)
Having the same issue with 2022 Taycan Turbo S. Using a JuiceBox40 home charger. We also have a Rivian R1T that has no issues charging. The dealer replaced the HV heater about a month ago because the heat wasnt working and I was told it may be the culplit for the charging errors as well. The last few weeks though I keep getting charging errors after like 15 mins of charging. I'm not using any charging schedules on the JuiceBox app or the porsche app. Every time I get the error I have to go into the JuiceBox app and click "Resume charging"...usually that works, but it inevitably errors out again shortly after.

@sean4150,
Are you still having this issue? It sounds like I'm experiencing something similar with my '21 4S. I took it to my local Porsche dealership and the car charged on both their level 3 and level 2 chargers. The car also did *not* report any error codes which left the techs without much to do aside from other items on the list.

I have two Juiceboxes at my home and my Taycan will not charge on either of them as of about mid-April. I have several other EVs and they all work just fine on either charger. The repro steps and symptoms are as follows:
1) Plug either Juicebox charger into either Taycan charging port.
2) The charging display on the center screen has alternated in two ways. First, the blue circle icon will simply spin but charging will never begin. Second, the charging display will alternate from having the state of charge indicators blank with no blue circle to having the state of charge indicators become populated with the blue circle displaying but not rotating. Meanwhile, the Porsche app will indicate "Initializing" on the charging tab and the Juicebox seems to think it is actually charging.
3) The car will eventually timeout and display an error in both the vehicle and the app. Photos of those messages are attached here.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...b789de3407.png
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...0ef0fd9118.png

I've been in contact with my local advisor who is helping to continue debug this issue. I've also submitted a ticket to the Juicebox team outlining this issue as well. I suspect something is amiss during the negotiation between the car and the charger.

With all that said, does anyone know if there are any other debugging steps to take? Or, are there any other modes the car could be put in to provide better debugging output during the charging initialization? The technicians were not able to read any error codes but clearly something is not right here.

thebishman 05-11-2024 12:57 PM

Do you somehow have specific location charging turned off, or some such thing? The Juicebox’s are obviously working fine since others can charge there, and IF your car can L2 charge elsewhere then it might well be a ‘settings’ issue, and not a mechanical/electronics issue.

Caveat: many dealerships don’t actually have a true L2 EVSE, but rather might have a couple of low power DCFC chargers instead. Have you verified that the actual ‘L2’ charger at the dealership is actually an L2? My friends EV6 stopped charging via any L2 charger and he was told it wasn’t the car as it charged fine on the dealership’s ‘L2’ charger. He had to physically show them the DC pins and educate them that they had a low power DCFC charger and not an L2.

Also, take your car to a known L2 destination charger and see if it charges; don’t just rely on what the dealer is telling you.

chas911 05-12-2024 07:55 AM

I had the same issue after installing Tesla Universal Charger, disengage the timer on the Tesla app, use only the timer for the car, this has worked for me.

Charlie