Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Taycan (https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan-241/)
-   -   Drifting taycan (https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan/1162916-drifting-taycan.html)

Cpoarchy 09-26-2019 03:28 PM

Drifting taycan

Love it

Petevb 09-26-2019 03:47 PM

Awesome. My Model 3 dual motor came to a near complete halt when I tried to do that- the difference between a car built for drivers and one designed to drive itself. I’ll take the former.

freqflyer 09-26-2019 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Petevb (Post 16130544)
Awesome. My Model 3 dual motor came to a near complete halt when I tried to do that- the difference between a car built for drivers and one designed to drive itself. I’ll take the former.

Why did it do that? Traction control?

earl pottinger 09-26-2019 05:01 PM

I thought Tesla cars can drift, or is that because you have a dual motor system? Or maybe it is just Japan.

Earl Colby Pottinger (Tesla, Taycan, Bollinger, Rivian and other BEVs fan)

daveo4porsche 09-26-2019 05:03 PM

disable the nannies, normally by finding the right fuse and removing it - or disable the wheel sensors - either way it requires you to "hack" the car - there are no customer level settings to allow this type of driving.

freqflyer 09-26-2019 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche (Post 16130745)
disable the nannies, normally by finding the right fuse and removing it - or disable the wheel sensors - either way it requires you to "hack" the car - there are no customer level settings to allow this type of driving.

Track mode?

daveo4porsche 09-26-2019 05:18 PM

Track mode "losens" the nannies it does not disable them…the fast Mode 3 lap times @ laguna have been acomplished with the wheel speed sensors disabled which prevents the system from receiving any wheel data, and therefore it does not intervene.

Petevb 09-26-2019 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by freqflyer (Post 16130716)
Why did it do that? Traction control?

Correct. The stability control can't be defeated (or even reduced in anything other than the Model 3 with Track mode). If it detects slip it reacts by pulling power. Trying to trick the system by chucking the car in backfires- it simply pulls power as long as the car's slipping, which if you've managed to get it sideways can be until the car virtually comes to a halt. One of my least favorite aspects of the car.

daveo4porsche 09-26-2019 06:13 PM

track mode in the Model 3 performance makes the car a little more chuckable - but not much - enough to have fun at laguna - but not enough to drift…

earl pottinger 09-26-2019 07:03 PM

I guess the Taycan can do it because it is made for the track first or is it a select-able option?

CarMaven 09-27-2019 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by earl pottinger (Post 16131066)
I guess the Taycan can do it because it is made for the track first or is it a select-able option?

Most likely, you can turn off all the nannies, like many Porsche's.

CarMaven 09-27-2019 09:26 AM

Here's a prelease Taycan doing even more:

Note: The host got out of the Driver/Engineer, his personal car is an old Corvette. LOL

Carrera GT 09-28-2019 01:31 PM

the standard range is just that -- but you can turn off traction control (disconnect driver's side from wheel speed sensor)
the Model 3 Performance in Track Mode will do that all day till the rear tires or the rear brake pads depart the vehicle
What I like about this power-on oversteer is the way chirping as the various traction control systems (some in the brakes, some in the motors, some in the rear diff) tried to get all the grip they could find. Maybe that chirping was just the fronts (almost certainly) but it was already over-rotating the rears, so the only (conventional) outcome is for more power to the front to pull the car back into a straight line as the driver flattened out the slip angle.
The next step is to find out how long the software in various modes will allow left-foot braking to assist in the weight transfer to get that kind of rotation from a 5000lb+ lump.

Carrera GT 09-28-2019 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche (Post 16130950)
track mode in the Model 3 performance makes the car a little more chuckable - but not much - enough to have fun at laguna - but not enough to drift…

There's plenty of video of Model 3s in oversteer and drifting. Here's some very clean and very long drifts with the steering almost perfectly straight ahead while the car behaves with remarkable balance.
Track Mode doesn't limit slip angle (as far as I can tell) but then it depends if you mean drift in the rally sense (steering with the throttle, steering straight ahead) or the modern day sport of extreme oversteer.

catdog2 09-28-2019 01:53 PM

Thats cause you don't have the model 3 performance that has a track mode and can drift all day long... cut the bs people and stop bashing Tesla just cause now Porsche has an ev