Sponsored by:

Model S on Nurburging next week

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 02:30 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by CarMaven
If you knew or remembered that, you wouldn't have written what you wrote But I digress, and may be tapping out.

Like I said: Back To The Giga Farrm Factory Drama and Escapades
Na...seems more like an honest comprehension issue on your end. Especially since I've owned the shares in my investment account before and done pretty well when I had them. POAHF is the ticker and if you think the Taycan and the rest of the VAG EV pipeline is a home run than perhaps you should go buy some.

The majority of the Porsche extended family is probably more concerned at this point with getting their monthly check than the decisions made on which marquee is going to have the superior car at Le Mans in a given year but no doubt from a marketing standpoint it makes sense for Porsche to remain on top.

I don't think Audi and PAGs engineers should be being treated as interchangeable spores but apparently since they have the same controlling ownership - you think they already are or something? How much then does the former independent company's ICE racing history that you brought up as though it mattered really apply to the huge VAG conglomerate and the EV products they're designing via cooperative engineering methods? I would argue that with the results showing a $200,000 car achieving a 7:42 that a company with no racing history is probably about to match or even exceed with a 4-door family sized sedan - not much.
The following users liked this post:
JB43 (10-19-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 02:36 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 834 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Where did I say I hated the Taycan? I think it's half-baked and a disappointment. If you're only aware of two Porsche models I suggest you check their website.

~15-20 seconds in comparison against what non-existant time? I got news for you - Sport Cup 2 are crap tires for a 4 door sedan too. They're probably over the top for my GT3 on the autobahn.
The Taycan Turbo S doesn't use Sport Cup 2 tires, as indeed, they're crap for a 4 door sedan meant for daily driving. It uses Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 tires that are less sticky and have longer tread life than even street friendly the Pilot Sport 4S tires. The regular Sport Cup 2 easily gives a 5-10 second gain over the Pilot Sport 4S, and the Sport Cup 2 R gives another 10 seconds or so (compare 991.2 GT3 vs GT3 RS times, and note the 16 second gain with minimal power difference). A 15-20 second gain switching from Eagle F1 tires to Sport Cup 2 R is probably a conservative estimate, given that they're less sticky than Pilot Sport 4S.

I haven't seen you use the word hate, but you've made over a hundred posts over the span of a few weeks criticizing the 992 and Taycan, largely repeating the same points. Perhaps hate is too strong a word, but you're very vocally disappointed.
JB43 (10-19-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 02:59 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wizee
The Taycan Turbo S doesn't use Sport Cup 2 tires, as indeed, they're crap for a 4 door sedan meant for daily driving. It uses Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 tires that are less sticky and have longer tread life than even street friendly the Pilot Sport 4S tires. The regular Sport Cup 2 easily gives a 5-10 second gain over the Pilot Sport 4S, and the Sport Cup 2 R gives another 10 seconds or so (compare 991.2 GT3 vs GT3 RS times, and note the 16 second gain with minimal power difference). A 15-20 second gain switching from Eagle F1 tires to Sport Cup 2 R is probably a conservative estimate, given that they're less sticky than Pilot Sport 4S.

I haven't seen you use the word hate, but you've made over a hundred posts over the span of a few weeks criticizing the 992 and Taycan, largely repeating the same points. Perhaps hate is too strong a word, but you're very vocally disappointed.
Honestly, most of my posts aren't criticism of the Taycan but taking down cheerleaders like yourself who argue off emotion instead of facts. I probably have done that in 100 posts. If you were going to spend so much time estimating the difference in seconds between each tire - why not actually figure out what tire they used first?

Do these look like Goodyear tires to you?

JB43 (10-19-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 03:04 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,037 Likes on 657 Posts

Pirelli P Zero - road tire as found on a variety of everyday Porsche sports cars - usually to the owners dismay
destaccado (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 03:32 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Honestly, most of my posts aren't criticism of the Taycan but taking down cheerleaders like yourself who argue off emotion instead of facts. I probably have done that in 100 posts. If you were going to spend so much time estimating the difference in seconds between each tire - why not actually figure out what tire they used first?

Do these look like Goodyear tires to you?

They may have been evaluating Pirelli P-zero tires on that mule (generally not the best performing tire either), but the production Taycan Turbo S uses the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 tires, and they said they used the standard tires for the test.

Old 09-12-2019, 03:37 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Those are pictures from the Nurburgring time car. Perhaps not the specific run they taped though so in theory they could have changed them out.

Porsche commonly puts multiple tires on the same car at the factory and whichever one you get is anyone's guess. With the 991.2 GT3 you might have got Dunlops or SC2.

The guys on Ferrari chat say that the P Zero is faster than the Michelin PS4 when properly warmed up. I can't find a proper comparison with the Sport Cup 2 anywhere but I'm sure the PZero 4 is slower and slower yet again than the Cup 2R.

wizee (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 03:45 AM
RonF
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Ljuice10
Model S Plaid power train and chassis prototype. Lapped Laguna Seca in 1:36.555 during advanced R&D testing — a second faster than the record for a four-door sedan (BMW M5 F90).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hmdmYRYt9A
It was driven by an "amateur driver", someone on the Tesla development team. They can put Randy Pobst in the car and knock a couple more seconds off.
JB43 (10-19-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 03:47 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Those are pictures from the Nurburgring time car. Perhaps not the specific run they taped though so in theory they could have changed them out.

Porsche commonly puts multiple tires on the same car at the factory and whichever one you get is anyone's guess. With the 991.2 GT3 you might have got Dunlops or SC2.

The guys on Ferrari chat say that the P Zero is faster than the Michelin PS4 when properly warmed up. I can't find a proper comparison with the Sport Cup 2 anywhere but I'm sure the PZero 4 is slower and slower yet again than the Cup 2R.

The tread pattern in the photo you posted looks different than any current production Pirelli tire I can find, so it may be some unreleased tire they were trying out. Media said that all the launch cars have the Goodyear tires, but they will have a Michelin tire option later. There was no mention of a Pirelli tire offered on the production car.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:51 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Those are the exact same tire. I don't have photoshop on this computer to lighten it up. Look at the longer thicker tread interspaced by the smaller ones. On the earlier photo I circled the bottom where it says "ZERO"

It's a P Zero 4 -and they're available in the same tire size as the Goodyear you posted above.

I'll eat some crow here;
Ultimately, I don't think the Tesla car is necessarily any more of a "ringer" than a production day 1 "Turbo S" is as long as they offer the Plaid 3-motor package for sale in a reasonable timeframe and include whatever changes they've made in it. However, it seems they're using a substantially faster "cheatier" tire than it appears Porsche did. Unless they totally destroy Porsche's time it won't really be a win.

Last edited by destaccado; 09-12-2019 at 04:19 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:32 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

The Tesla car at the 'Ring currently is not a ringer...because it's not trying to set any records. It's testing. What it's testing, I don't know. Range? Performance? Suspension? The Plaid Mode powertrain? Who knows.

I don't think that Tesla is trying to set any kind of records right at this time. I could be wrong. But doubt it.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:07 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
The Tesla car at the 'Ring currently is not a ringer...because it's not trying to set any records. It's testing. What it's testing, I don't know. Range? Performance? Suspension? The Plaid Mode powertrain? Who knows.

I don't think that Tesla is trying to set any kind of records right at this time. I could be wrong. But doubt it.
So why is it running stickies, have a wing and have the front end opened up to allow better air flow
Old 09-12-2019, 11:13 AM
groundhog
Race Car

The P Zero is pretty vanilla these days (and even in 2016 it was only goodish for a couple of laps on a standard length track) and the sidewalls flex way to much - the MPS4S is a better tire and the MPSC2 is better again (in the dry) and the MPSC2R is better again (in the dry).

The P Zero is not a tire I would personally choose to set a ring time in a 2.2 tonne car. If they did indeed use that tire the time is all the more impressive. My feeling is they will ship with a variety of tires as is the norm - P Zero, Michelin and Dunlop have been the standard fare with Good Year only recently granted an entrance.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:20 AM
CarMaven
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Na...seems more like an honest comprehension issue on your end. Especially since I've owned the shares in my investment account before and done pretty well when I had them. POAHF is the ticker and if you think the Taycan and the rest of the VAG EV pipeline is a home run than perhaps you should go buy some.

The majority of the Porsche extended family is probably more concerned at this point with getting their monthly check than the decisions made on which marquee is going to have the superior car at Le Mans in a given year but no doubt from a marketing standpoint it makes sense for Porsche to remain on top.

I don't think Audi and PAGs engineers should be being treated as interchangeable spores but apparently since they have the same controlling ownership - you think they already are or something? How much then does the former independent company's ICE racing history that you brought up as though it mattered really apply to the huge VAG conglomerate and the EV products they're designing via cooperative engineering methods? I would argue that with the results showing a $200,000 car achieving a 7:42 that a company with no racing history is probably about to match or even exceed with a 4-door family sized sedan - not much.
It's all good.
I was messing with you, cause you were trolling (whether you realized it or not).
Old 09-12-2019, 11:21 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groundhog
So why is it running stickies, have a wing and have the front end opened up to allow better air flow
All the stuff besides the tires looks like stuff they could easily offer in an optional track package. That's clearly not a CUP car wing. I think in Carbon or something it would actually look good.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:23 AM
groundhog
Race Car

^ Don't have a problem with them running a R and D car - as long as its clear

Quick Reply: Model S on Nurburging next week