Sponsored by:

did you know H2 can explode?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 09:22 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by evanevery
The BIG PROBLEM with Hydrogen is that it REQUIRES an infrastructure to fuel vehicles.

EV's DO NOT require a charging infrastructure (contrary to what some would like you to believe). 70% of EV owners simply charge at home overnight. Much of EV's current success was built on home charging. I'm on my third EV (with the Taycan presumably being my fourth) and I've never even seen a public charging station.

If you have electricity, you can charge an EV. (even a 120V outlet) If you don't have a hydrogen fueling station you are done...
Contrary to what you would like us to believe, EVs do need charging infrastructure. It's just a whole lot cheaper than for any other fuel type, so not really an issue. One reason is this: More Teslas on the Road Meant Hours-Long Supercharger Lines Over Thanksgiving Second reason, there are a lot of people with no home charging capabilities.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:16 AM
evanevery
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by acoste
Contrary to what you would like us to believe, EVs do need charging infrastructure. It's just a whole lot cheaper than for any other fuel type, so not really an issue. One reason is this: More Teslas on the Road Meant Hours-Long Supercharger Lines Over Thanksgiving Second reason, there are a lot of people with no home charging capabilities.
No, they DON'T REQUIRE a charging infrastructure. All they REQUIRE is an Electrical Infrastructure (which we already have). I have always charged my EV's (going on 4) at home (as do 70% of all EV owners). In fact, I charged my first EV (Chevy Volt), right out of a standard 120V 15A outlet (as I also currently do with my BMW i8). The 48 mile all-electric range on that first EV, charged overnight from a standard outlet, gave us all the range we typically needed on most days.

You can always add additional dedicated charging infrastructure, but we obviously didn't NEED that to get EV's rolling. The current success of EV's was largely built on the existing electrical grid. I suppose some folks don't have electricity either, but that would be a disingenuous argument.

...but hydrogen vehicles "aint rollin' nowhere" without Hydrogen fueling stations.

And, as a counter-point, if folks are worried about the volatility of Hydrogen, then I would submit that Oil, Gasoline, and Natural Gas explosions/fires have killed a lot more people than Hydrogen. Just ask Halifax.

Last edited by evanevery; 12-06-2019 at 10:45 AM.

Quick Reply: did you know H2 can explode?