Notices
Taycan & Mission-E The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taycan Details From Automobile Magazine

 
Old 05-12-2019, 10:32 PM
  #1  
r553
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: FL
Posts: 620
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taycan Details From Automobile Magazine

r553 is offline  
Old 05-13-2019, 12:02 AM
  #2  
Needsdecaf
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Needsdecaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The Woodlands, TX.
Posts: 4,180
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Wow, very in-depth article. Really shaping up to be some car. Except for, of course, the price. Georg, as usual, gets all the scoops.
Needsdecaf is online now  
Old 05-13-2019, 02:16 AM
  #3  
daveo4porsche
User
 
daveo4porsche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,141
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

lol it’s a really well designed EV - been driving one for 5 years now - welcome to the future!
daveo4porsche is online now  
Old 05-13-2019, 01:18 PM
  #4  
Thinc2
User
 
Thinc2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 248
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

That looks amazing.
Thinc2 is offline  
Old 05-13-2019, 11:55 PM
  #5  
Brig993
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NYC
Posts: 395
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Great article....Pricing and base being RWD only is disappointing. It was supposed to be priced between Panamera and Cayenne. Model S or Panamera 4 E-Hybrid seems more in the cards for me now if this pans out then look to jump back in after the updates in 2021/22.
Brig993 is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 08:56 AM
  #6  
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
W8MM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cincinnati, USA
Posts: 1,133
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Forget stability management by brake actuation; the black box deep inside of the Taycan controls the experience exclusively by wheel-selective torque feed. “Zero loss, 100-percent dynamic efficiency,” Weckbach says.
I'm very curious about "wheel-selective torque feed" without using differential braking. It would be obvious if each wheel has its own e-machine, but the Taycan has only a front and a rear electric motor. So, ... how does one achieve "wheel-selective" torque control? Electric differential?

One assumes that "wheel-selective torque feed" might include power to the outside wheel and regen (negative torque) to the inside wheel, in order to get "100-percent dynamic efficiency".

Inquiring minds want to know!
W8MM is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 10:11 AM
  #7  
Needsdecaf
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Needsdecaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The Woodlands, TX.
Posts: 4,180
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by W8MM View Post
I'm very curious about "wheel-selective torque feed" without using differential braking. It would be obvious if each wheel has its own e-machine, but the Taycan has only a front and a rear electric motor. So, ... how does one achieve "wheel-selective" torque control? Electric differential?

One assumes that "wheel-selective torque feed" might include power to the outside wheel and regen (negative torque) to the inside wheel, in order to get "100-percent dynamic efficiency".

Inquiring minds want to know!
This car seems to have some interesting details that I'm excited to hear about. Like the transmission for one. This would be another.
Needsdecaf is online now  
Old 05-14-2019, 10:12 AM
  #8  
Needsdecaf
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Needsdecaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The Woodlands, TX.
Posts: 4,180
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Just looked at the pics. For scale, I think Georg is 6'8" tall or something ridiculous like that.
Needsdecaf is online now  
Old 05-14-2019, 10:36 AM
  #9  
Needsdecaf
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Needsdecaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The Woodlands, TX.
Posts: 4,180
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Brig993 View Post
Great article....Pricing and base being RWD only is disappointing. It was supposed to be priced between Panamera and Cayenne. Model S or Panamera 4 E-Hybrid seems more in the cards for me now if this pans out then look to jump back in after the updates in 2021/22.
Yeah, I was afraid of that. Still, this is a European article (Georg writes for CAR magazine in the UK and Automobile cribs their articles often, I think monthly) so I'm not going to hold stock in the pricing until it's officially announced by Porsche.

But then again, it IS a Porsche we're talking about.
Needsdecaf is online now  
Old 05-14-2019, 11:16 AM
  #10  
Ccpecot
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Ccpecot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Atlanta area, GA
Posts: 228
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Just looked at the pics. For scale, I think Georg is 6'8" tall or something ridiculous like that.
I was wondering the same thing about the height comparison. It definitely looks much lower than I expected. From what I originally thought, the car is shaping up to look very nice. I do look forward to the reveal in Sept.
Ccpecot is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 11:25 AM
  #11  
ipse dixit
Super User
 
ipse dixit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,454
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Not sure about those headlights.
ipse dixit is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 01:09 PM
  #12  
earl pottinger
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 147
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

I saw no mention of OTA updates. The reason I ask is I also went to Tesla review in the same website, and it was from November of last year. Since that time some of the complaints he had about braking on the Model 3 have been improved with OTA updates.

I was wondering if this will also apply to the Taycan?

The real point is I already find the Tesla magazine article out-dated, and the same can happen to the Taycan. How will people in the future get accurate and up-to-date reviews of cars when so much can be changed in software?

Also, I LOVED the writing style of this article on the Taycan, things like "Sunday driver to part-time hooligan" or "There multiple settings but no comfort button", make me think adding an autopilot will mostly be a waste. This sound like a car you drive.

Earl Colby Pottinger (Tesla, Bollinger, Rivian and other BEVs fan)

PS. Turn off the fake sound, even if it does sound good, it is still fake.

Last edited by earl pottinger; 05-14-2019 at 10:57 PM.
earl pottinger is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 04:24 PM
  #13  
Needsdecaf
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Needsdecaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The Woodlands, TX.
Posts: 4,180
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by earl pottinger View Post
I saw no mention of OTA updates. The reason I ask is I also went to Tesla review in the same website, and it was from November of last year. Since that time some of the complaints he had about braking on the Model 3 have been improved with OTA updates..
From the article:

The long list of surprises put together by the engineering and marketing teams includes a leather-free trim, a separate cycle plan for connectivity improvements, significant over-the-air updates, and a host of brand-specific digital services.
Needsdecaf is online now  
Old 05-14-2019, 10:59 PM
  #14  
earl pottinger
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 147
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sorry

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
From the article:

The long list of surprises put together by the engineering and marketing teams includes a leather-free trim, a separate cycle plan for connectivity improvements, significant over-the-air updates, and a host of brand-specific digital services.
Reading too fast I guess, I missed that, thanks.

Earl Colby Pottinger (Tesla, Bollinger, Rivian and other BEVs fan)
earl pottinger is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 06:36 PM
  #15  
Ljuice10
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Ljuice10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 65
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Ljuice10 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: