Sponsored by:

Electric Macan

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 02:32 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Electric Macan

Looks like Porsche is announcing their third EV tomorrow. An electric SUV based on the Macan.

http://thedrive.com/news/26626/elect...in-2022-report
Old 02-26-2019, 10:11 AM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

https://presse.porsche.de/prod/press...rsionid=950332
Old 02-26-2019, 11:25 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Interesting. So the Macan goes all electric?

Meanwhile, still no Taycan......
Old 02-26-2019, 11:53 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Not a lot of details in the press release. I was hoping for more info.

Also, hard to tell if it means the new Macan will be purely electric or some combination of plug in hybrid and pure electric. For Porsche to go pure electric only on their highest volume vehicle would be a bit surprising.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:34 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 1,759 Posts

I think they could have a range - ICE, Hybrid, and pure EV Macan - but I agree moving to 100% EV for the Macan as the _ONLY_ option would be bold and surprising…
Old 02-26-2019, 09:14 PM
cluster_fsck
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
I think they could have a range - ICE, Hybrid, and pure EV Macan - but I agree moving to 100% EV for the Macan as the _ONLY_ option would be bold and surprising…
The official Porsche newsroom article states:
The Supervisory Board of Porsche AG has decided to manufacture the next generation of the Macan as a fully electric series. This will be the first all-electric compact SUV from Porsche
- so pretty much looks like the Macan is going all electric, unless they do something like Macan e as an additional model, but that’s not what the wording leads me to believe.

Porsche’s confidence in bringing out high-volume (well, for them at least) EVs means a couple of things: 1) they feel confident in their battery design and supply and can scale that across multiple product lines with VW, 2) they’re getting tremendous customer feedback that’s pro-EV. The next few years are going to be fascinating to watch!
Old 02-26-2019, 09:28 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Bold - very bold things are getting interesting.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:23 PM
Brett - 1996 C4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Bold - very bold things are getting interesting.
I agree, that is very bold to take one of their best-selling products and make it an EV. Wonder how that will go over?
Old 02-28-2019, 12:56 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

probably very well it took about 2 hours until my wife asked when she can trade her Model X for a EV Macan...
Old 02-28-2019, 02:26 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

probably very well it took about 2 hours until my wife asked when she can trade her Model X for a EV Macan...
That's a perspective from less than 3% of the car buying population here in the US. The rest of us think Porsche is playing 3 bullet Russian roulette.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:47 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

well I know lime thinks that - but I doubt all of the forums think that - please don't lump the rest of the forum in with your outdated and hostile attitude towards EV's - they are coming and people who drive them never want to go back to a gas car - you're welcome to keep your gas cars, but please don't assert that makes your right or better - Porsche is a conservative company with an excellent history and engineering skills - if they are doing this I'm sure it because they now understand two things

1. EV's are the future
2. things are going well with the Taycan and the superiority of the EV drivetrain has won over people inside the company...

and the 3% that do think EV's are the future is a growing and not shrinking demographic - so you can get with the program or be left behind - your choice.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:22 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Dave,

I'm a huge EV supporter (currently own two EV's plus a plug in hybrid), but I'm very surprised Porsche would not introduce this EV as a "new" model similar to the Taycan and the Panamera (I know they are different in size etc, but relatively similar).

The Macan must generate huge dollars for Porsche. Replacing their best selling model with an all electric vehicle certainly has a lot of risk short term, which is odd because Porsche typically seems risk adverse. The primary reason I can think of going all in on an electric Macan is to eliminate the development cost the next gen ICE powered Macan, but considering it's heavily platformed with the Q5, it's still a surprising move.

I will add that if the tipping point for EV's is in the next couple of years, Porsche could be very successful with an all electric Macan.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:33 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

and the 3% that do think EV's are the future is a growing and not shrinking demographic - so you can get with the program or be left behind - your choice.
What do you expect that 3% figure to be by 2022? Enough for Porsche to sell even close to as many Macan's as they currently do? If your answer is yes, then that's pure fantasy land nonsense.......

Oh BTW we should be expecting a possible recession right around that time as well which would likely kill new car sales right along with the fledgling EV market..... Regardless of how you feel and what you want to see happen you need to be realistic, Porsche is taking a massive risk.

Drastically altering their current best seller by reducing it's widespread appeal down to practically nothing with a possible recession on the horizon..... It's almost as if VW wants Porsche to fail... Or perhaps they view Porsche as their expendable division that will only remain viable as a brand if they prevail in this high risk endeavor.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:00 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

This makes more sense.

"Porsche will reportedly continue to sell its current, internal combustion-powered Macan crossover alongside its electric successor."

http://thedrive.com/news/26695/porsc...-gen-ev-report
Old 02-28-2019, 07:13 PM
cluster_fsck
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
This makes more sense.

"Porsche will reportedly continue to sell its current, internal combustion-powered Macan crossover alongside its electric successor."

http://thedrive.com/news/26695/porsc...-gen-ev-report
Well there you go. It did seem wicked bold to eliminate the ICE model - their official announcement needed to be clearer. Pretty sure the last thing VW wants is to harm that magic profit margin Porsche generates.

Quick Reply: Electric Macan