Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Taycan (https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan-241/)
-   -   Taycan Turbo and some pricing (https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan/1120786-taycan-turbo-and-some-pricing.html)

TAch Miami 12-27-2018 10:02 AM

Taycan Turbo and some pricing

https://apple.news/AINOlOXc0SCOhyAv9vxZOeQ

dflowerz 12-27-2018 02:18 PM

Just bookmarked this forum. Plan on keeping my 911.2 C2s long term, but wondering what might replace our Lexus hybrid. Was in a Tesla showroom in a shopping mall this week and they had a Model S, the economy model, and the SUV. Sales guy said he could get me into the economy model immediately. Tempting, but for sure will wait to see how the Taycan compares. I am not quite ready to have an all-electric vehicle but inching that way.

Needsdecaf 12-27-2018 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by dflowerz (Post 15524210)
Just bookmarked this forum. Plan on keeping my 911.2 C2s long term, but wondering what might replace our Lexus hybrid. Was in a Tesla showroom in a shopping mall this week and they had a Model S, the economy model, and the SUV. Sales guy said he could get me into the economy model immediately. Tempting, but for sure will wait to see how the Taycan compares. I am not quite ready to have an all-electric vehicle but inching that way.

The Economy model? Ouch.

The Model 3 performance has a 0-60 time of under 3.5 seconds. The LR AWD does 0-60 in under 4.5 and the Medium Range RWD does it in 5.5. Not bad for "economy". ;)

There are at least two owners of a Model 3 on here, one of whom tracked his at Laguna Seca. And soon to be a third. ;)

In any rate, the Taycan should be closer to the Model S in terms of size...and pricing!

Raek 12-27-2018 08:17 PM

I've been speaking with Alex Roy briefly on Twitter, as I put a deposit down about two weeks ago. The message he got was from (what I believe to be) a salesman at a dealership in Manhattan, which doesn't seem to a big league Porsche Rep, regardless of the "Global Ambassador" title. Porsche dealerships have some of the most pretentious descriptions for their staff.

Also, $2500 deposits are edging closer to the douchebag side, as my deposit only 40 miles away on LI was $1000 (which appears to be the average cost).

He said he's going to poke around some more, but I have a feeling this was just a salesman doing salesman things. My salesman told me that everything was extremely tightly sealed regarding any info, which seems consistent with reports of other people who've put down deposits.

whiz944 12-27-2018 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by dflowerz (Post 15524210)

If you get the "economy model" like, immediately, they may be able to squeeze you into CY2018 and you can qualify for the full $7500 Federal tax credit. In 2019 it drops to $3750 for the first six months, then $1875 for the last six months. It will be gone in 2020.

If you decide to order one, you can use my referral number (https://ts.la/walter16611) to get six months of free Supercharging. An extra three months if you don't bother with a test drive first. :D

dflowerz 12-27-2018 10:17 PM

Thanks for the info and offers, but no plans to buy a Tesla. It will be some years before I go for a full electric car. My wife and I don't put a lot of miles on cars so I am content to wait for the electric car tech to improve some more. The Taycan may test my resolve though.

2000se 12-29-2018 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by whiz944 (Post 15525108)
If you get the "economy model" like, immediately, they may be able to squeeze you into CY2018 and you can qualify for the full $7500 Federal tax credit. In 2019 it drops to $3750 for the first six months, then $1875 for the last six months. It will be gone in 2020.

If you decide to order one, you can use my referral number (https://ts.la/walter16611) to get six months of free Supercharging. An extra three months if you don't bother with a test drive first. :D

I thought if you owned a model S you got super charging for free? No? Curious. Thanks!

Also, thanks for the heads up on the dimensioning tax credit. Was not aware of that.

whiz944 12-29-2018 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by 2000se (Post 15527994)
I thought if you owned a model S you got super charging for free? No? Curious. Thanks!

Model S and X - yes. Also the Performance Model 3. But the "economy" Model 3s are pay-as-you-Supercharge. Not a big deal though. It is still less expensive than gas in the typical ICE car. In my case, I've only used a Supercharger once in my nearly six months of ownership. I took a mini-road trip, and probably could have made it home without the extra charge. But I wanted to try out a Supercharger just to say I had. On two other overnight road trips since then we've been able to use (free) destination charging - avoiding the need for Supercharging.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the dimensioning tax credit. Was not aware of that.
Both Tesla and GM have hit 200k U.S. plug-in deliveries this year. Tesla held up the 200,000th U.S. delivery until just into July 2018 by sending some cars to Canada and stuffing a bunch in storage lots. GM hit theirs a month or two ago without any theatrics. So GM's customers will get the tax credit for another quarter beyond what Teslas customers will get. As far as other manufacturers go, they all still have quite a ways to go to reach 200k U.S. sales. Sucks because they will now be rewarded for dragging their feet over the past 10 years with inferior products. But all this could change with the upcoming gov't budget battles.

2000se 12-30-2018 12:18 PM

Thanks for the insight whiz. It's good to know that at least one of the model 3's can use the charging for free. How interesting in regards to how tesla handled the 200k limit.

whiz944 12-30-2018 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by 2000se (Post 15530250)
Thanks for the insight whiz. It's good to know that at least one of the model 3's can use the charging for free.

NP. I should have said "most" Model S and X. There are some older 60 kWh Model Ss which were bought without the Supercharging option. The hardware is there. Their owners just have to pay Tesla a couple $k to enable it via over-the-air update. (The very, very, rare 40 kWh cars are really software-locked 60 kWh cars. Again with some green, Tesla can unlock the extra 20 kWh too.)

Also I think some of the newest S/X may not have free Supercharging unless you get a referral from a current Tesla owner. Elon keeps changing this offer around as a "demand lever"... But unlike the early Model S 60, one can always use Superchargers in pay-as-you-go mode.

Personally I have no problem with the pay-as-you-go mode. Helps keep the locals who really should be charging at home away from plugging up the limited numbers of stalls. They really should be used by road trippers and perhaps folks who live in apartments/condos with no other place to charge. One of the best things about EV ownership is aways waking up in the morning with a "full tank". The old "visit the gas station" model is completely obsolete 95+% of the time.

How interesting in regards to how tesla handled the 200k limit.
I bought mine in July at the Fremont delivery center (just the other side of the freeway from the factory). So just after the 200,000th car had been sold. All the built-up inventory was being moved as fast as possible. The place was a mad house. I bet they were moving 2-300 cars a day through there. As we are reaching the end of 2018, and the end of the $7500 tax credit, it must be the same or worse.

lee88 12-31-2018 10:09 AM

FWIW on the issue of free vs paid charging... I have a Model S and have lifetime free use of Tesla's supercharger network. While that's nice, honestly I'd rather see the proliferation of paid charging networks. The more demand from paying EV owners there is, the faster we are likely to see broader rollout of charging stations not just by OEMs like Tesla and Porsche but by gas stations, retailers, maybe Starbucks, etc. While subsidizing as Tesla has initially with supercharger network is a way to build initial critical mass and make these cars usable for longer trips, over the long run only market forces of paid demand will drive ubiquitous availability of EV charging.

Porsche has indicated they intend to charge market prices for EV charging. So when my Taycan arrives I'll be glad to pay for charging at Porsche dealership or elsewhere.

2000se 12-31-2018 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by whiz944 (Post 15530873)
One of the best things about EV ownership is aways waking up in the morning with a "full tank". The old "visit the gas station" model is completely obsolete 95+% of the time..

Very true!

dhirm5 12-31-2018 04:09 PM

The "Taycan Turbo" is a tell that this sales rep is full of ****.

There is no such thing as turbocharging an electric car.

whojoemama 12-31-2018 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by dhirm5 (Post 15532856)
The "Taycan Turbo" is a tell that this sales rep is full of ****.

There is no such thing as turbocharging an electric car.

of course. but the articles i’ve read indicate that they are calling the top of the line the Taycan Turbo. Can you imagine the ****-fight in Stuttgart over adding “Turbo” to the taycan name? personally i don’t believe it. say it aint so.

dhirm5 12-31-2018 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by whojoemama (Post 15532897)

of course. but the articles i’ve read indicate that they are calling the top of the line the Taycan Turbo. Can you imagine the ****-fight in Stuttgart over adding “Turbo” to the taycan name? personally i don’t believe it. say it aint so.

Oh god no. "Taycan" is bad enough.