Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taycan Turbo and some pricing

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 11:26 AM
lee88
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if "Turbo" remains the branding of the top of the line Porsche cars, EV or not. Most non-enthusiasts don't even really understand turbocharging or forced induction, they just think "turbo" denotes fast or speed boost. We've seen it with the Macan, Cayenne, Panamera, and now even 911 (991.2) lines... all of which now have turbocharged engines from base to top of the line but "Turbo" still designates the top.

We enthusiasts are most excited about Taycan for now, but once they hit production a lot of buyers will be mainstream folks similar to Panamera or SUVs.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:03 PM
Brett - 1996 C4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually, untrue. We leased a Leaf for a year while waiting for the new model Subaru Outback to come along a few years ago. Would never buy a Leaf again, but seriously considering the Cross Turismo ("unannounced" Taycan wagon version).

Think about it. Come home with an ICE, walk in the door (but go to the gas station occasionally). Come home with an EV, pop the charge door, get the charging cable, plug it in (every day). Doesn't sound like much, but I think when you add it up, it comes out as a wash in terms of actual time spent at the gas station.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:05 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by lee88
I wouldn't be surprised if "Turbo" remains the branding of the top of the line Porsche cars, EV or not. Most non-enthusiasts don't even really understand turbocharging or forced induction, they just think "turbo" denotes fast or speed boost. We've seen it with the Macan, Cayenne, Panamera, and now even 911 (991.2) lines... all of which now have turbocharged engines from base to top of the line but "Turbo" still designates the top.

We enthusiasts are most excited about Taycan for now, but once they hit production a lot of buyers will be mainstream folks similar to Panamera or SUVs.
IDK man -- if they name it turbo, that would be egregious enough for me to pass on it. I think enough of the people excited about this car would be bothered by that that it would be an easy call for Porsche not to risk it.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:53 PM
cluster_fsck
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The whole thing seems fishy to me. We heard early on that there would be three models of increasing horsepower, which makes sense to me, but the naming doesn’t. I could see Taycan 4, 4S and 4 GTS, but “turbo” on an EV just seems ridiculous (even more ridiculous than the old Intel 486 PCs that had a turbo button). We’ve also heard since the start that two engines would be standard and I’d hope they won’t deviate from that aspect.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:17 PM
2000se
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Brett - 1996 C4
Actually, untrue. We leased a Leaf for a year while waiting for the new model Subaru Outback to come along a few years ago. Would never buy a Leaf again, but seriously considering the Cross Turismo ("unannounced" Taycan wagon version).

Think about it. Come home with an ICE, walk in the door (but go to the gas station occasionally). Come home with an EV, pop the charge door, get the charging cable, plug it in (every day). Doesn't sound like much, but I think when you add it up, it comes out as a wash in terms of actual time spent at the gas station.

I hear what you are saying (and do agree that the time spent is equal) -- until induction charging hits then you just park over the induction charger and walk in.. no charging cables..but I do hear you.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:41 AM
Raek
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'm worried about induction charging, haha. I don't want to walk out to my garage and have to dust off tons of fried bugs and mice
Old 01-03-2019, 02:37 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 416 Likes on 284 Posts

... Think about it. Come home with an ICE, walk in the door (but go to the gas station occasionally). Come home with an EV, pop the charge door, get the charging cable, plug it in (every day). Doesn't sound like much, but I think when you add it up, it comes out as a wash in terms of actual time spent at the gas station.
Takes about 15 seconds to grab the plug, open the port, and plug it in. Another 15 seconds to do the reverse. Do it daily, you've spent 3.5 minutes/week. It takes me at least 5-10 minutes or more each way to go to a gas station. Depends on whether I go to the close-by one (a little over a mile away with two traffic lights in between) or one that is less expensive (about three miles - with lots of traffic lights in between).

In practice, our Volt is generally always plugged in when home. My wife also takes advantage of workplace charging with it. OTOH, the Model 3 has so much range, I only bother to plug it in two or three times a week.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:27 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,574 Posts

I am currently driving around 500 miles a week for work. My GTI had a 300 mile range, max, because of a small tank. So at least two fills a week for 10 minutes. And that's if I stop at the one right off the road on my way home.

Takes about 30 seconds, max, to plug in the car and 30 seconds to unplug. So 7 minutes a week?

It's close to being a wash. But it's definitely more convenient then having to stop somewhere when you are out or make a special trip. Especially when I found myself low on gas on a Sunday night and didn't want to delay myself in the morning getting gas. That necessitated a special trip, which took about 20 minutes round trip. That was a not-so-infrequent occurrence.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:54 PM
2000se
Instructor

Actually, untrue. We leased a Leaf for a year while waiting for the new model Subaru Outback to come along a few years ago. Would never buy a Leaf again, .

Brett - tell me more about why you'd never buy a leaf again? They have always intrigued me. Now I'm more curious
Old 01-03-2019, 09:34 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 416 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000se
Brett - tell me more about why you'd never buy a leaf again? They have always intrigued me. Now I'm more curious
It is pretty well known that Nissan has had a lot of problems with battery degradation - especially the early cars. They don't do anything to thermally manage the packs. Contrast to Tesla and GM - who do extensive thermal management by routing coolant through the pack for both heating and cooling the individual batteries. As a result, they have seen very little degradation. Other companies are somewhere in between.

Then there is the limited range and the dorky looks...

The new gen Leafs are a solid improvement and at least a little easier on the eye. But the new 40 kWh pack still has essentially no thermal management. The upcoming 60 kWh pack is supposed to be better managed, but details are still sparse.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:45 PM
Brett - 1996 C4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Whiz notes potential battery issues, but that wasn't a problem for us since we only had it a year.

My main issue was poor build quality (we had some kind of seal leak that resulted in water pooling in the front passenger foot well, which then fogged the windows). Leak magically fixed itself at some point. I also think the AC never worked (we picked the Leaf up in the fall and didn't turn it on until late in the next summer; that may also have had something to do with the window fogging if AC wasn't working as a dehumidifier). In the winter, we used to bundle up like we were going outside because using heat killed the range so badly. This was a 2013 Leaf, as I recall.

Also, I don't think front-wheel drive is a good idea with EVs. With high torque and touchy "throttle" response, if you are on an incline and the road is slick, hello, wheelspin!

If they've got the QC problems under control, a Leaf might make a good around-town errand-runner or (short) commuter car, but not much more.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:55 AM
2000se
Instructor

yikes.. and all along I thought they'd be a decent commuter car for cheap.. sounds like a cheap bucket of headache
Old 01-05-2019, 08:30 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whiz notes potential battery issues, but that wasn't a problem for us since we only had it a year.

My main issue was poor build quality (we had some kind of seal leak that resulted in water pooling in the front passenger foot well, which then fogged the windows). Leak magically fixed itself at some point. I also think the AC never worked (we picked the Leaf up in the fall and didn't turn it on until late in the next summer; that may also have had something to do with the window fogging if AC wasn't working as a dehumidifier). In the winter, we used to bundle up like we were going outside because using heat killed the range so badly. This was a 2013 Leaf, as I recall.

Also, I don't think front-wheel drive is a good idea with EVs. With high torque and touchy "throttle" response, if you are on an incline and the road is slick, hello, wheelspin!

If they've got the QC problems under control, a Leaf might make a good around-town errand-runner or (short) commuter car, but not much more.
A clogged drain is a common problem on a lot of cars. My 2015 958 just had it happen and it burned out the HVAC fan. The dealer said it happens all the time and would not fix it under warranty, which is nuts, looking on Rennlist and seeing how many other folks are having the same issue it is clearly a design flaw in the drain plugs. I sorted it out myself with a part from Pelican for a few hundred bucks the dealer wanted $800!

Last edited by SuperUser; 01-05-2019 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:56 PM
umwolverine
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Àbsolutely agree. This is an email from a sales rep, who knows absolutely nothing that hasn't been already published. In fact, he doesn't seem to know everything that's been public.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:04 PM
Cpoarchy
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Pricing and build total

saw where Porsche officially announced the increase to 40k in production units of the first year of taycan, also keep seeing an increase in pricing on instagram
anyone else see a raise in prices for the three models?
thanks,

Quick Reply: Taycan Turbo and some pricing