Sponsored by:

Hello! My first post and a question regarding deposit

Old 12-18-2018, 08:07 PM
crazyrider3076
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Hello! My first post and a question regarding deposit

Hello All,

I am aspiring to buy the Taycan in the near future, provided that Porsche is willing to sell me one lol
I put down a deposit (1000$) at a dealership couple of weeks ago and so far, everything was dealt via email. I sent over a CC authorization form along with a credit application form after the dealership promised that they won't go looking for my credit history. I was also told that I am number #109 in their list.
However, I am suspicious due to 2 reasons: a) they have not charged my CC yet although its been 2 weeks. (you rarely see a dealer not taking money you throw at them)
b) I haven't gotten any receipt from them. When asked, he responded by saying that the CC authorization form I sent over will act as a receipt. Logic says that the document needs to come from them in order to act as a receipt.
The question is that, how do I make sure that my name is in line? The salesguy told me that putting down multiple deposits at separate dealerships will get me banned by Porsche, which might be true to some extent.
Any info appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2018, 08:22 AM
EvilTed
Track Day

Are US dealers actually able to log pre-orders with Porsche Germany?
I wonder if the list they refer to is simply a holding list for that dealer rather than a verified deposit amd pre-order with Porsche central? I only ask because here in the UK I don't think pre-orders have been opened yet.
If that was the case it would explain why they're taking details but not actual deposits, it would be pretty bad practice to take a deposit off a customer if it isn't _actually_ securing anything. It would also explain why they can't give you a receipt, they haven't taken your order yet.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:09 AM
drewzMMM
Track Day

Originally Posted by EvilTed
Are US dealers actually able to log pre-orders with Porsche Germany?
I wonder if the list they refer to is simply a holding list for that dealer rather than a verified deposit amd pre-order with Porsche central? I only ask because here in the UK I don't think pre-orders have been opened yet.
If that was the case it would explain why they're taking details but not actual deposits, it would be pretty bad practice to take a deposit off a customer if it isn't _actually_ securing anything. It would also explain why they can't give you a receipt, they haven't taken your order yet.
When I put my deposit down in the US it was for allocation/build spot #4 at my dealer - these were allocations that came from Porsche Germany (they received 4 allocations total for the first wave of production). They continued to take deposits, but the those deposits were to reserve a place in line on the call / holding list for new allocations that came in.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:50 PM
flatsick
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drewzMMM
When I put my deposit down in the US it was for allocation/build spot #4 at my dealer - these were allocations that came from Porsche Germany (they received 4 allocations total for the first wave of production). They continued to take deposits, but the those deposits were to reserve a place in line on the call / holding list for new allocations that came in.
Im number 4 also at my dealer however (reservation since January 2018 lol), they mentioned they had no confirmation of the amount of allocations they are getting. Im curious on how yours was able to tell you how many they are getting. I talk to my dealer daily and no mention of any news out of stuggart.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:40 PM
drewzMMM
Track Day

Originally Posted by flatsick
Im number 4 also at my dealer however (reservation since January 2018 lol), they mentioned they had no confirmation of the amount of allocations they are getting. Im curious on how yours was able to tell you how many they are getting. I talk to my dealer daily and no mention of any news out of stuggart.
I don't know what to say here. I went shopping around to several (5+) dealers in the Boston area, all knew the exact amount of allocations they have (vs. deposits they have taken for a spot in line of ongoing allocations).
Old 01-01-2019, 01:01 PM
911grl
3rd Gear

I checked with my dealer yesterday on status. I made a $2500 deposit (credit card was charged) back in June. He said they’ve taken 35 deposits and expect to reach back out to those people in the Spring for another $7500. At that time you’ll need to configure your car/options. The “list” really starts at that point - when they can match a committed buyer to a specific car. They fully expect many previously interested buyers to drop off. They also hope to see cars before the end of 2019 but they really don’t know. Every dealer may handle things differently but I think it’s unrealistic for dealers to promise you a “number” if you haven’t even selected your specific model/options.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:18 AM
Ccpecot
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 911grl
I checked with my dealer yesterday on status. I made a $2500 deposit (credit card was charged) back in June. He said they’ve taken 35 deposits and expect to reach back out to those people in the Spring for another $7500. At that time you’ll need to configure your car/options. The “list” really starts at that point - when they can match a committed buyer to a specific car. They fully expect many previously interested buyers to drop off. They also hope to see cars before the end of 2019 but they really don’t know. Every dealer may handle things differently but I think it’s unrealistic for dealers to promise you a “number” if you haven’t even selected your specific model/options.
This is my understanding as well. I may have mentioned this on other threads, but I think the words "prospective buyer" within the general terms/conditions of the deposit scheme says quite a bit. I think it is a way for Porsche to gauge the number of potential buyers, understanding that the actual number of buyers could be more or less than originally expected. At this point, it is hard to say how many allocations there will be and any true promises to be made.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:02 AM
drewzMMM
Track Day

Originally Posted by Ccpecot
This is my understanding as well. I may have mentioned this on other threads, but I think the words "prospective buyer" within the general terms/conditions of the deposit scheme says quite a bit. I think it is a way for Porsche to gauge the number of potential buyers, understanding that the actual number of buyers could be more or less than originally expected. At this point, it is hard to say how many allocations there will be and any true promises to be made.
I'm sure most of the folks on this thread have been a part of a vehicle allocation process. There is a difference between a prospective buyer putting their money down to hold their spot in line vs. paying to secure a dealer allocation.

Porsche has recently put out statements such as: "if everyone who has signed up for one, buys one - we are already sold out." -- Do you think the definition of someone who has "signed up" is based off of dealer deposit lists? Then, you'd be incorrect. My dealer has deposits for pecking order of incoming allocations that will run them probably into the 2023 model year (like 125+), but they know how many configurable allocations they will be getting for the initial wave, which is what Porsche is using as their basis for such statements. The configurator does not have to be live for allocations to be distributed - that is not a true statement. Bentley nor BMW's configurator has not been live for a particular vehicle and we have received build spot allocations via deposit. If you do not believe any of this or have been told otherwise - you're not familiar enough with the process or your dealer is not being transparent.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:55 AM
Ccpecot
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sure most of the folks on this thread have been a part of a vehicle allocation process. There is a difference between a prospective buyer putting their money down to hold their spot in line vs. paying to secure a dealer allocation.

Porsche has recently put out statements such as: "if everyone who has signed up for one, buys one - we are already sold out." -- Do you think the definition of someone who has "signed up" is based off of dealer deposit lists? Then, you'd be incorrect. My dealer has deposits for pecking order of incoming allocations that will run them probably into the 2023 model year (like 125+), but they know how many configurable allocations they will be getting for the initial wave, which is what Porsche is using as their basis for such statements. The configurator does not have to be live for allocations to be distributed - that is not a true statement. Bentley nor BMW's configurator has not been live for a particular vehicle and we have received build spot allocations via deposit. If you do not believe any of this or have been told otherwise - you're not familiar enough with the process or your dealer is not being transparent.
Thanks for the good points and my comment is based on the latest info that I had from my dealer (assumed incorrect or not). Bottom line is that I have heard different communication points from several others in different states with their dealers. I personally have not heard 1 communication that was consistent across 5 dealers, that is my point. Like I said, we'll see how things shake out and good luck to all of us to getting a car......
Old 01-02-2019, 12:55 PM
911grl
3rd Gear

I think my dealer was very transparent. The initial deposit they collected defined the pecking order in which customers will receive a phone call to make a further $7500 deposit and receive a configurable allocation. All I have right now is a spot on a list to “potentially” receive an allocation - pending my ability/willingness to make an additional deposit.

Each dealer has the freedom to manage deposits and allocation assignments however they wish, there was no standard process from Porsche. Hence all the disparity regarding deposit amounts, credit cards charged vs not, etc.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:36 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

At this point, I'm really glad I didn't wait on the Taycan.

I knew that's getting an allocation was going to be difficult as I have a very small ordering history with my local dealer. So who knows when I would have gotten on. I'm sure there are some crazies who out down money years ago. Add that to the delivery time being "maybe 2019" and the deal becomes worse. Finally, Porsche had been predicting a price "between the Cayenne and the Panamera". Well, a base Panamera is $86300 and a base Cayenne is $65700. So now with the rumored base price being $90k, that's not even close to that original number ($75-ish). Definitely more than I wanted to spend on my daily driver, unfortunately.

Still I have to think this will be an awesome car. Maybe it'll be so amazing that I'll sell my 911 and model 3 and go all in on one car. But I kinda doubt it.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:55 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Received 311 Likes on 164 Posts

jhh

Last edited by GratedWasabi; 11-28-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:32 PM
911grl
3rd Gear

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GratedWasabi
The "rumored base price" is just one random SA throwing out made up info to scare/inform/seem smart to potential customers. It has nothing to do with reality. Porsche already quoted the base price between Cayenne & Panamera, probably on the higher end of that scale ie.. $75-80k. Now, what the base model will offer for range/HP is up for debate but it probably will be decent and a similar progression to Teslas; ie.. lower range/HP on base but still good numbers, excellent all around numbers for the next model up, and then same range but huge performance stats for highest tier.

As far as allocations and "order history" that's really a wives' tale. The reality is a Porsche dealership could give two blanks who is paying them for a car. Sure, maybe if you're buying from them CONSTANTLY to the tune of a mil+ a year you'll get a little special nudge; otherwise they really don't care and it's first come first serve. Keep in mind as an exciting, hyped electric Porsche a LOT of people are throwing their name on the list and a LOT of people will cancel when final specs are revealed and they actually have to commit to a first-gen, first-production EV.

I'd wager almost everyone that is on a wait list today will have the chance to own a Taycan within the first year of production. Don't let all this "sold out" and such talk fool you, it's just the smart leverage play for dealers and Porsche. The people that will ACTUALLY drop $90k+ for a first production, 4-door sedan Porsche EV is not going to be crazy.
^^ This!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hello! My first post and a question regarding deposit