lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

If it looks like that ….its good....if it looks like mules ….its bad
Old 12-16-2018, 01:46 AM
kevin1244
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

May be the closest rendering to the actual car.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:49 PM
cluster_fsck
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting that there's been a dearth of Taycan mule spottings in the last couple of months. I wonder if Porsche has completed that phase of testing and is starting to get geared up for introduction and wants to keep any further spy shots at bay. I'm thinking the Geneva Auto Show in March might be where they'd do an initial reveal of production-grade design. Thoughts? Will they wait longer?
Old 01-09-2019, 03:52 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 149 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by cluster_fsck
Interesting that there's been a dearth of Taycan mule spottings in the last couple of months. I wonder if Porsche has completed that phase of testing and is starting to get geared up for introduction and wants to keep any further spy shots at bay. I'm thinking the Geneva Auto Show in March might be where they'd do an initial reveal of production-grade design. Thoughts? Will they wait longer?
If they go into production later this year, it is safe to assume that most of the tools are finalized and in place, and that they already ran, or are close to running pilot production for final validation.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:42 PM
Guards Red Car
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Porsche is Slowly Giving us a Glimpse!

Received an Email from Porsche Today!! They included this very revealing artist's rendering!

WOW!!
Old 01-10-2019, 06:58 AM
EvilTed
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just based on the flared arches I think that's a sketch of the Mission-e concept.
Would love to be wrong though.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:58 AM
cluster_fsck
Instructor

Originally Posted by Guards Red Car
Received an Email from Porsche Today!! They included this very revealing artist's rendering!

WOW!!
Has anyone else received that email? I’m on lists at two different dealers and officially registered and haven’t received any communication like this.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:59 AM
Bamablue
2nd Gear

I got the same email. I don't think that Porsche would continue to publish images so similar to the concept vehicle, if it is going to look like a smaller Panamera. It is just setting them up for embarrassment. It looks to me like they are just taking Panamera's and turning them into EV's to see what will fail. The front end should be much smaller like a mid engine sports car's front end is. Some people on this forum have stated that the rear suicide doors cannot happen for safety reasons. You can have suicide doors and leave the b-pillar in place. Lincoln is offering this in a limited edition Continental. It is not quite as sexy but it can be done. There also has been a comment about the hood not opening and closing over the fender well. Audi has done this for years with the R8. I have heard that they have enough deposits to satisfy the first years production. I would say that more than half of the prospectors will not exercise the option if the Taycan looks like the mules. It is the look and not the drivetrain that inspires many of us.
https://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutpor...mance-anewera/
Old 01-10-2019, 08:11 PM
cluster_fsck
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bamablue
I got the same email. I don't think that Porsche would continue to publish images so similar to the concept vehicle, if it is going to look like a smaller Panamera. It is just setting them up for embarrassment. It looks to me like they are just taking Panamera's and turning them into EV's to see what will fail.
Yeah, I hadn’t bought into the line of thinking that the mules were wholly representative of the production style. To your point, there’s been rumors for years about the Pajan, the Panamera junior, that they were considering putting into production to have a smaller sports sedan. I wonder if these bodies are actually from the Pajan project and were fitted over the J1 skateboard platform for batteries and electrics. The Mission E concept car was built atop a lengthened Boxer chassis left over from the e-Boxer experiments, IIRC. The new 992 has some serious curves on it, so it would surprise me that the Taycan we deviate so far from Porsche’s curvy body styling like the mules have.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:44 PM
Ccpecot
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cluster_fsck

Yeah, I hadn’t bought into the line of thinking that the mules were wholly representative of the production style. To your point, there’s been rumors for years about the Pajan, the Panamera junior, that they were considering putting into production to have a smaller sports sedan. I wonder if these bodies are actually from the Pajan project and were fitted over the J1 skateboard platform for batteries and electrics. The Mission E concept car was built atop a lengthened Boxer chassis left over from the e-Boxer experiments, IIRC. The new 992 has some serious curves on it, so it would surprise me that the Taycan we deviate so far from Porsche’s curvy body styling like the mules have.
Keep in mind that for the 992, what we saw in the mules (e.g. curves, wide body) is what you see today. There was no surprise. I just hope Porsche isn’t making a major mistake by pushing the concept design that I received today and the final product, not so close.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:48 PM
umwolverine
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

I agree that the mules are pretty much what we'll get. Look at all the previous mules of the Panamera and previous new Porsche introductions. You have the concept car, which is wild and crazy. Then they build the real thing, which is practical, and they disguise the front and rear. Everything we're seeing is completely consistent with how they have developed new cars for the last few decades. I'd like to believe we'll get something that looks like the concept, or the artist's sketch, but there's not much mystery here. We'll get basically a nicer looking version of the latest mules we've seen.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:08 PM
Rupdog
AutoX

if the clip of Porsche giving its fake exhaust an outing is correct I am so disappointed. I really believed that they were going to accentuate electric sound in a truly new and original way for the X box gen. I guess they don't yet have the affordability so Porsche have to satisfy the 45+ market again. Just imagine .....

or a X Wing - who wit me on that ��

if my E Hybrid Tourismo could only sound like that AND a ripping petrol carbon skid mark - ah nirvana
Old 01-12-2019, 11:57 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by umwolverine
I agree that the mules are pretty much what we'll get. Look at all the previous mules of the Panamera and previous new Porsche introductions. You have the concept car, which is wild and crazy. Then they build the real thing, which is practical, and they disguise the front and rear. Everything we're seeing is completely consistent with how they have developed new cars for the last few decades. I'd like to believe we'll get something that looks like the concept, or the artist's sketch, but there's not much mystery here. We'll get basically a nicer looking version of the latest mules we've seen.
well at least this way my bank account will be happier...though maybe a depreciating car ay be a better investment then the stock market these days
Old 01-14-2019, 12:11 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilTed
Just based on the flared arches I think that's a sketch of the Mission-e concept.
Would love to be wrong though.
It's got normal doors and mirrors, so it's not an image of the concept.

Btw. why is this forum shown under "924/944/951/968 Model Specific Technical Forums"? Forum naming and sections are all over the place.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:42 AM
EvilTed
Track Day

Originally Posted by JMartinni
It's got normal doors and mirrors, so it's not an image of the concept.

Btw. why is this forum shown under "924/944/951/968 Model Specific Technical Forums"? Forum naming and sections are all over the place.
That's a really good point. I do think in general we should be preparing ourselves to be a little underwhelmed by the production car after the stunning concept but this comment does give me some hope.

I'm currently planning my interim EV while the waiting list calms down so I'll have plenty of time to see the production reveal before my money goes down. Even if I register now I think I'd see a car in late 2021 so I'll need something to tide me over anyway.

Quick Reply: taycan spy shots