Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

And the wagon version.

https://insideevs.com/porsche-taycan...c-wagon-spied/
Old 02-12-2019, 04:16 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
Damn, that's one sexy wagon. I want that. I've been wanting a 6 cylinder 718 Boxster (Spyder or not) for some time, but I also want this. Can't afford to buy both right now, and I'm having a hard time deciding which one I'd rather have. I like the agility, sound, looks, low seating position, and convertible experience of the Boxster, but Canadian weather paired with boring southern Ontario roads mean I rarely get to make use of my current Boxster. The Taycan wagon would make an excellent daily driver, also looks great, and I expect it to be fun to drive too.

Tough decision for me. Regardless, I'm pleased that Porsche is listening to its customers and has good products in the pipeline.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:28 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Default Size estimates

I spent some time analyzing photos of mules, trying to estimate the height and length of the mules. I took two approaches: seeing how tall the car is next to Wark Webber and Walter Rohrl in their videos/photos, as well as examining the diameters of the wheels and tires.

I estimate a height of approximately 52", with my 90% confidence interval around 51.5" to 52.5". This is based off the size next to Mark Weber and Walter Rohrl, as well as wheel diameter comparison in three different mule photos. All five estimates came within 0.5" of each other.

The length of the car is harder to estimate from photos due to perspective. You need a photo taken with a telephoto lens from far away at a perfect right angle to the car to get a good estimate. My rough estimate is 185" length, with a 90% confidence interval around 182" to 190".

I am more confident in estimating the wheelbase from photos. It looks to be around 113 inches, with my 90% confidence interval being 111.5" to 115".

The winter mules have been wearing 20" wheels with what I suspect are 265/40R20 fronts and 295/35R20 rears. For reference, nominal 20" wheels have an outer diameter of around 21.5" lip edge to lip edge. It looks like the Taycan will get 19", 20", and 21" wheel options.

My width estimate is 74" (excluding mirrors), with a 90% confidence interval of 73" to 75". This estimate is based off only two photos (http://carsoverviews.com/wp-content/...aycan-rear.jpg and https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/g7...-top-image.jpg).

Overall, based on my estimates it's around the same length as a Tesla Model 3, but around an inch wider, and around 5" less tall. This is why the Taycan looks much more sleek and sporty than a Model 3.

Last edited by wizee; 02-12-2019 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:55 PM
earl pottinger
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

I find it scary the info people can get just looking at photos.

Earl Colby Pottinger (Tesla, Bollinger, Rivian and other BEVs fan)
Old 02-14-2019, 07:03 AM
EvilTed
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find it scary that people put the effort in to getting the info.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:23 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

So... basically the dimensions of the Mission E concept. Surprise.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:26 PM
various cheeses
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

If something ever happens to my 981, maybe I'll spring for one of those wagons.

I ****in' love wagons.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:47 PM
Ljuice10
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Why does it look so small?
Old 02-16-2019, 12:46 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ljuice10
Why does it look so small?
It is a small sports car sized wagon, and I love that. It’s only an inch wider and less than an inch taller than a 992 generation 911, and probably about 8 or 9 inches longer. It’s the same size a hypothetical 911 wagon would be. A low sports car height wagon would be unique on the market and stand out on the road, particularly next to the crossovers most people seem to be going for these days.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:42 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I’m on the deposit list but have gradually been losing enthusiasm the more spy photos surface, both due to styling (too similar to Panamera and not enough like the Mission E concept) and size (too small).

I have a GT3 Touring and a 981 Spyder, so I have my sports cars covered. For DD, I currently use a Cayenne Turbo, which is large/luxurious, comfortable, practical, and plenty quick (my first ever SUV). Just not very sexy. Have previously used as DD: Panamera Turbo S, Audi RS7, BMW 650i Grand Coupe, BMW 335i Gran Coupe, Audi S4 Avant, etc. so obviously I like swoopy 4-door hatchback coupes and wagons. Of them all, the Panamera was the best compromise of driving character, size, interior space/luxury, and practicality, IMO. But the height of the Cayenne is convenient sometimes.

The new Panamera wagon is very attractive, and by the time Taycans are delivered, there will probably be a fair number of them available with low miles CPO for 30% or more off MSRP. That’ll be pretty compelling vs a new Taycan especially if Taycan turns out to be, basically, just a smaller Panamera with electric propulsion.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:07 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lapis
I’m on the deposit list but have gradually been losing enthusiasm the more spy photos surface, both due to styling (too similar to Panamera and not enough like the Mission E concept) and size (too small).

I have a GT3 Touring and a 981 Spyder, so I have my sports cars covered. For DD, I currently use a Cayenne Turbo, which is large/luxurious, comfortable, practical, and plenty quick (my first ever SUV). Just not very sexy. Have previously used as DD: Panamera Turbo S, Audi RS7, BMW 650i Grand Coupe, BMW 335i Gran Coupe, Audi S4 Avant, etc. so obviously I like swoopy 4-door hatchback coupes and wagons. Of them all, the Panamera was the best compromise of driving character, size, interior space/luxury, and practicality, IMO. But the height of the Cayenne is convenient sometimes.

The new Panamera wagon is very attractive, and by the time Taycans are delivered, there will probably be a fair number of them available with low miles CPO for 30% or more off MSRP. That’ll be pretty compelling vs a new Taycan especially if Taycan turns out to be, basically, just a smaller Panamera with electric propulsion.
The Taycan does have bulging front fenders and wide rear hips, and the headlights will probably look more interesting once the camouflage comes off. They can’t go as extreme with the curves as the concept as that would kill the aerodynamics and range.

The Taycan is a shortened and flattenned (lower) Panamera with bulging fenders. The concept was that too, but with suicide doors and more exaggerated unaerodynamic bulges. You can also think of the 992 that’s been stretched with two more doors added.

The Taycan is an electric sports car that happens to have four doors, rather than a luxury barge (competing with the S class, 7 series, Benley Flying Spur, Panamera, Lexus LS etc). It’s not intended to be an electric Panamera. For people like myself who want a low, wide, sports car but also like the practicality of a four door wagon, this gives both, making it perfect for me.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:22 PM
umwolverine
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

I like the fact that it's quite a bit smaller than the Panamera. It should still fit 4 comfortably on short trips. I'm not planning on a lot of cross-country drives with 4 adults, but I need a car that I can take 4 out to lunch in. This should fit the bill perfectly. The Panamera GTS that I have is a really huge car, and I just don't need that much room.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:29 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

The Panamera sucks size wise. It's suuuuper long but has very limited backseat and not a huge trunk. Even in wagon form. Basically it's all front end. Very poorly packaged. Compared to our Cayenne, which is shorter, has more rear seat legroom and a much bigger cargo area naturally.

Would expect the Taycan to be much better considering the fact that it has no ICE or transmission to take up space.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:36 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
The Panamera sucks size wise. It's suuuuper long but has very limited backseat and not a huge trunk. Even in wagon form. Basically it's all front end. Very poorly packaged. Compared to our Cayenne, which is shorter, has more rear seat legroom and a much bigger cargo area naturally.

Would expect the Taycan to be much better considering the fact that it has no ICE or transmission to take up space.
People who've ridden in the back seats of my Sport Turismo say it's extremely comfortable with lots of leg room. And we did a cross-country trip and had tons of cargo room for two people; by far the best long-distance cruising car I've ever been in. And when you put down the back seats, there is a ton of cargo room. For a family with two or three kids, the Cayenne is the more obvious choice for a long road trip, but for a couple with no kids, the Panamera is far superior.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:53 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

If Taycan is able to provide as much interior room for people and cargo as Panamera Sport Tourismo by way of better packaging despite smaller overall dimensions, then I’m much more likely to want one. Perhaps it’s Taycan will actually have a usable middle back seat, too, since it shouldn’t have the larger transmission tunnel in center. Again, if true, that would make it very attractive to me.

Point being, electric propulsion alone isn’t enough to make me want a Taycan vs a Panamera. I’m not motivated enough by either its environmental green-ness or potential fuel savings, the latter of which is far, far canceled out by the much higher purchase price of a new Taycan vs a used Panamera.

To really want a Taycan, it’s gotta offer more, and to me that more would be performance and styling that can’t be matched by a Panamera, while ALSO offering similar utility as a Panamera, which means decent interior room for 4 (ideally 5) people and decent cargo.

Passenger room may be addressed with packaging (shorter hood, no rear transmission tunnel), and cargo room may be mitigated by the addition of a small front trunk.

But if styling is dull and not not even close to the Mission e Concept, I’m probably out.

Quick Reply: taycan spy shots