Sponsored by:

Autopilot V9 on-ramp to off-ramp 1st trip report

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 01:35 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts
Default Autopilot V9 on-ramp to off-ramp 1st trip report

Tesla has "gone live" enabling one of their most vaunted features of Enhanced auto-pilot - I did a simple test this evening after receiving the update.

Task - Drive from South San Jose to DeAnza Blvd in Cupertino
get on 85 north - transition from 85 north to 280 south - get off at DeAnza
home - get on 280 South to 17 south - 17 south to 85 South - get off back at South San Jose (85/87 area)

it did not do well with this task and it was down right dangerous - on my first outing in low traffic congestion there were at least 7 nearly body-shop inducing errors - and it failed on 3 out of the 4 freeway transitions - this software is a total fail - stick with the normal auto-pilot which is pretty good.

the "enhanced" navigate on auto-pilot feature is not to be trusted!

Drive from 85/87 area in San Jose to DeAnza Blvd Cupertino (north on 85 to 280) get off at DeAnza Blvd. - night time light traffic no real congestion.

1. attempted lane change (I confirmed the lane change - and then it went ahead anyways given there was a car in blind spot - did not detect the car!!) into cars in blind spot 3 separate times - I had to intercede to avoid an accident.
2. it can not successfully transition from 85 north to 280 south - it doesn't move over far enough right - put us on 85 north back to Mountain View - missing the 280 south exit.
3. drove home from DeAnza/280 - manual intervention avoided another 2 bad lane changes (with a car deep in the blind spot)
4. transition from 280 south to 17 was fail
5. transition from 17 to 85 south was fail - almost hit a car when it lost the lane after the tunnel on the transition ramp.

less than 30 miles round trip - over 7 potential catastrophic errors - if I hadn't been paying attention I'd be using their new body shop services.

color me not impressed.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:38 AM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

That sucks. Though that Northbound 85-to-Southbound 280 interchange can be a challenge even under normal circumstances - with all the competing traffic from Stevens Creek headed onto 85 or 280 North..

I don't have .42 update yet, but I did notice a huge improvement in blind spot detection when the .39 (v9) update came out. Nonetheless, they still have a way to go.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:34 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

"Navigate on Auto-pilot" did much better on the San Jose to Thunderhill trip and Thunderhill to San Jose - it took the various freeway onramp/off ramp mucho better - kinda scary actually - it did really really well. Using auto-pilot to drive back from thunder hill after a long day at the track is actually very relaxing and takes some of the driving burden off the driver - it was a pleasant drama free experience. I'm sure the software will get better over time.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:49 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought a Model 3 LR AWD a couple weeks ago. I didn't order EAP but my car has it enabled right now via the 30-day evaluation.

I've tried Nav on Autopilot a couple times thus far. It's timid when it comes to taking offramps and interchanges and it feels like there's a nervous, inexperienced teenager behind the wheel. I noticed that it very quickly slows the car down to about ~60mph even if there's plenty of clear road ahead before a turn or stop is required. I was worried about someone rear-ending me and/or honking a horn for slowing down unexpectedly. Nonetheless, it did the deed.

One thing I've noticed about AP: The system constantly checks to see if your hands are on the wheel. I find myself spending mental compute cycles on making sure the system doesn't get pissed at me for letting go. This could be by either constantly changing my grip and/or applying a little resistance to the auto steering. Maybe I'm doing it wrong...
Old 11-13-2018, 02:43 PM
unclewill
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

How does the autopilot typically position the car in the lane? I “drive the white line” to put as much space between me and oncoming traffic on two lane roads (a vestige of my motorcycling days). Nothing makes me more uncomfortable than tracking the center stripes or even crossing over - bad driving form imo.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:37 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by unclewill
How does the autopilot typically position the car in the lane? I “drive the white line” to put as much space between me and oncoming traffic on two lane roads (a vestige of my motorcycling days). Nothing makes me more uncomfortable than tracking the center stripes or even crossing over - bad driving form imo.
it does it's best to "center" you between lane markings - even if that's the wrong thing to do - it will just "center" itself in most circumstances - it does not have a bias to one side or the other - now as the road curves and sways the centering functional sometimes "falls behind" and you will end up "hugging" one side or the other…but it will goal seek to recenter…this is sometimes disconcerting…
Old 11-13-2018, 04:21 PM
unclewill
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

That’s what I figured was going on. I’ll be keeping my hands on the wheel, thank you!

On a similar note, Doug Demuro just reviewed the 2019 Audi Q8. This is likely an accurate preview of the electronics package the Taycan will receive.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:58 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

If you watch the latest recode interview Elon did, he is expecting pretty much Level 4 autonomy by next year, but I think I also heard him say something about a hardware change. Regardless, I’m assuming the issues you mentioned will be solved by next year.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:17 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunny_M3
If you watch the latest recode interview Elon did, he is expecting pretty much Level 4 autonomy by next year, but I think I also heard him say something about a hardware change. Regardless, I’m assuming the issues you mentioned will be solved by next year.
Lol.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:04 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

lunch bet in the Bay Area - love to meet and chat - but you're buying my lunch when this hasn't happened by 12/31/2019…and I mean software released and installed in MY car by that date, not some rigged demo.

Elon will not have level 4 autonomy by next year

it's just no possible

kudos however for him keeping the pressure on - we'll get there, just not in any particular time frame, there is still a few breakthroughs required

but yeah ROFL for that prediction/quote - it's just not possible.

Quick Reply: Autopilot V9 on-ramp to off-ramp 1st trip report