Sponsored by:

Fully electric cars will account for >50% of Porsche sales by 2025

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 09:10 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Fully electric cars will account for >50% of Porsche sales by 2025

According to Porsche's CFO: By 2025 at the latest considerably more than half of Porsche’s fleet will be electrified. “We’re a relatively small company and we will not be able to afford to offer a combustion-engine version in addition to pure-electric models in the long term,” Meschke said. “There will certainly be an overlap of two to three years when the [models with combustion engines] would still be supported because you cannot immediately make the switch in all regions.”

Other comments suggest that the 911 may stay ICE powered (possibly hybrid only?) while sedans and SUVs will transition first: Link

Currently this forum is relatively full of crickets, with quite a few who are strongly resistant to EVs. If the above is true, however, most of those buying new Porsches will be switching to EVs with their next new car or the one after that.

That's a much faster switch-over than I had imagined. Honestly I'd probably be more willing to buy a Porsche EV than a PDK or turbo, but I suspect for many that's not the case at all. And from the sound of it Porsche sees the Taycan as a replacement for the Panamera medium term, not a supplement. Interesting times ahead...
Old 10-20-2018, 09:54 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I would say 2030 for most pedestrian cars. ICE cars will hold out for longer. If you can’t sell the 300 mile range on EVs than you have a problem.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:10 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

BMWs CEO has stated that he expects electrification to take much longer - approx 50:50 by 2050.

Most people will will choose to buy an EV when it makes economic sense to do so. This requires the establishment of infrastructure, servicing and crash and bash shops. That's how the real world operates.

Also people like to buy with confidence and buy a product that is reliable and cheap. That is why Toyota does so well.

In terms of Porsche - they may have a problem. Unfortunately EVs are much of a muchness, meaning they are similar, behave in a similar way and will need to differentiate more in terms of styling and products around different levels of autonomous driving.

Take note, how often great cars are defined by the response and sound of an engine whether it be a flat six or V12. EVs are transport devices. They will become more effective with time but nonetheless they are transport devices. Currently they don't move or speak to people other than in a narrow political context.

Surprised you dislike turbos and PDK so much - yet can square the circle with a model 3 which has torque and no gears. 😀

Addendum - I have a feeling he may mean half the models as opposed to half the sales - a very different proposition.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:22 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Outlaw
I would say 2030 for most pedestrian cars. ICE cars will hold out for longer. If you can’t sell the 300 mile range on EVs than you have a problem.
I like Bloomberg's analysis better than the IEA's, and they are currently projecting 11% of new passenger cars worldwide by 2025, 28% by 2030 and 50% by 2038. That said in speaking with the guys that id the study they took an 18.5% learning rate into account for battery tech cost reduction, and I believe that may be conservative.

Penetration appears to be on the high end (ie Porsche) and very low end (Chinese city cars) first, with the center following. China will hit 5% of cars sold this year, and sales are currently near doubling every year.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:55 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 1,757 Posts

it's going to happen faster than people think - Porsche is probably correct - once it starts going it goes - I watched a friend buy his first EV after holding out - and he swore before getting it hd was going to keep the gas car -but now that the wife has driven the EV she like's it more than the gas car - so now they are working on their 2nd EV…he completed his first road trip from San Jose to San Luis Obispo - found the charging stop no problem - nice break and they had lunch - the car "rushed" them through lunch - they actually wanted it to take longer...

he was over at my house again last night picking my brain on the multi-EV charging setup that he also swore he wouldn't need for several years…

and by hte way there is nothing special about fixing an EV from a crash/bash point of view - the body shops I've talked to in the Bay Area say about the only thing they needed to learn how to do was disconnect the main battery - after that it's all the same any normal car…you don't "fix" a busted battery you replace it - and all the batteries come out of these cars real easy - easier than swapping a tranny or engine…you just need a lift for the weight…

infrastructure is there - in that most people charge at home - you only need special infrastructure for road trips and in most developed areas that's coming or has arrived…

I'm seeing this story repeat over and over…

this is going to go quickly if the manufactures make decent cars…no one wants a crappy car EV or otherwise - but if you make a decent EV then people will buy it…this will be interesting to watch.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:58 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groundhog
Surprised you dislike turbos and PDK so much - yet can square the circle with a model 3 which has torque and no gears. 😀
The PDK with turbo falls into a no-mans land for me- it's lacking driver involvement and sensory experience vs a normally aspirated manual, while on the flip side it still feels antiquated after jumping out of a good EV. If you're limited to just one car you might argue it's the best compromise between both worlds, but having owned a couple EVs and DCT cars the experience of PDK + turbos always hits me when I switch back and forth. Nail the throttle, transmission drops a couple cogs, revs flare, boost builds then go. After the nail the throttle and go of a good EV it feels decades behind. Of course a manual is slower still, but there you're engaged two extra limbs and your brain to do the same function, bringing you into the experience in a way the auto doesn't.

I look back at the BMW E43 M3 SMG for example and it seems so obviously dated today. Once hailed it now sells for a fraction of a manual example because it's so obviously inferior to today's autos while failing to offer the nostalgia/ involvement of the manual. In the future I suspect the PDK will date similarly, but the EV offers the comparison of a "perfect" transmission and engine combo today. So given the choice I'll take two cars that are great at some things and crappy at others (which a normally aspirated manual and EV both arguably are) rather than something that's decent/ mediocre at everything but doesn't excel at anything.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:03 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

after driving an EV - medium grade ICE are torture - the _ONLY_ ICE I can stand any more are exceptional one's - GT3, Boxster, or the upper end sedans - there no reason to get a mid-grade BMW 3 series IMHO - EV's are going to suck the middle the out of the car industry - leaving the only the very very low end, and the very very high end left standing for people that "want" the ICE experience - Tesla's new 260 mile RWD Model 3 for 45k is getting really really close to making it pointless to buy a Camary (not quite there yet, but you can see it) - if they could shave 7,000 off that price it would be very very close to a done deal for most people…

the iPace and E-Tron should sell well if they actually manage to make any and deliver them - if someone got a midsized sports-ute EV to market for less than $60k they'd rule the EV world.

EV's are coming - and they are gong to come fast and hard…
Old 10-20-2018, 11:11 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
now that the wife has driven the EV she like's it more than the gas car
Flip side- my wife doesn’t. I was sizing her up for a Taycan but while she likes the Tesla she misses the involvement of an ICE. And she wants PDK... :-(
Old 10-21-2018, 09:45 AM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

after driving an EV - medium grade ICE are torture - the _ONLY_ ICE I can stand any more are exceptional one's - GT3, Boxster, or the upper end sedans - there no reason to get a mid-grade BMW 3 series IMHO - EV's are going to suck the middle the out of the car industry - leaving the only the very very low end, and the very very high end left standing for people that "want" the ICE experience - Tesla's new 260 mile RWD Model 3 for 45k is getting really really close to making it pointless to buy a Camary (not quite there yet, but you can see it) - if they could shave 7,000 off that price it would be very very close to a done deal for most people…

the iPace and E-Tron should sell well if they actually manage to make any and deliver them - if someone got a midsized sports-ute EV to market for less than $60k they'd rule the EV world.

EV's are coming - and they are gong to come fast and hard…
Agee with your “ middle” car comments. What will expedite adoption of EVs are the major city mandates that will bar ICE cars from city centers. Paris, Madrid, Athens and all of Norway have at least stated their intentions.

I, for one, would be thrilled to visit a city like Rome and hear how it sounded 100 years ago.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:42 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

Where are all the batteries coming from and the copper materials? So perhaps the high end can pass the high price for limited materials but it will be a long time before Chevy can produce an affordable electric car for the masses.

I suspect the electric grid will take decades to be upgraded.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:07 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by justabout
Where are all the batteries coming from and the copper materials? So perhaps the high end can pass the high price for limited materials but it will be a long time before Chevy can produce an affordable electric car for the masses.

I suspect the electric grid will take decades to be upgraded.
I just got back from copper and lithium mines in Chile. There are massive expansion plans underway with clear solution to eliminate bottlenecks and allow for exponential double digit growth for the forseable future. The grid issues are less challenging than you’d expect because charging is typically easy to time with periods of excess capacity.

The photovoltaic revolution is our most recent proxy- that shocked even experts with its exponential growth rates and speed of widespread adoption. Similar concerns were raised about materials availability, etc, but in the end 10 year forecasts were achieved in 5. EVs appear to be nearing a similar tipping point.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:26 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

The grid not being able to handle EV charging to date is an anti-EV talking point for many many years but has very little evidence there is a actual problem. Please cite any reputable sources of this assertion. Most charging is done at home and daily commutes of 70 miles or less require 25 kWh or less of power overnight - well with in the range of household and residential power grid usage - especially if you do it while everyone is asleep and most homes are idle...

all these anti-EV comments keep assuming a static world, guess what humans solve problems, and we can overcome issues. Where in reality these “problems” are short term adjustments to a new reality that will be over come If it’s actually necessary to do so. Yes EV’s will require us to do thing differently - that’s kinda the point - cause what we are currently doing has some major downsides. And growing the grid isn’t really a bad thing, you would object to a more robust and capable grid that will benefit more than just EVs...yes infrastructure takes time, but at the end of the day it’s a huge upgrade and well worth it. But honestly I don’t think you need to worry as to if you can charge your EV, the grid will be fine, and if it’s not the power companies aren’t going to shrug their shoulders and just give up, it will be fixed, probably faster than anyone can imagine if it’s really an issue.

this is happening and pointing out anti-EV talking point short comings only serves the entrenched interests that are about to be displaced - all these “EV problems” are a really a poor excuse to justify that it might require change so we should keep burning fossil fuels. Just because the EV requires change doesn’t mean we should keep doing what we are doing - and there is cost to everything, so that’s a poor excuse also.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:58 PM
earl pottinger
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

it's going to happen faster than people think - Porsche is probably correct - once it starts going it goes - I watched a friend buy his first EV after holding out - and he swore before getting it hd was going to keep the gas car -but now that the wife has driven the EV she like's it more than the gas car - so now they are working on their 2nd EV…he completed his first road trip from San Jose to San Luis Obispo - found the charging stop no problem - nice break and they had lunch - the car "rushed" them through lunch - they actually wanted it to take longer...

he was over at my house again last night picking my brain on the multi-EV charging setup that he also swore he wouldn't need for several years….
This reminds me of the early home computer days. In the early 1980's it was "What good is having a computer? You can't do anything important with them".

In the late 1980's it was "Can you come over and help me set up my new computer, I will supply beer/dinner.".

And in the 1990's when the internet hit users, you had to beat off the questions with a stick.

It took 5 years with people thinking I was silly to spend money on my computers, by 10 years people were all buying them and asking for advice, and by 15 years it started to become "You don't have a computer with the internet? How do you get things done?".

To those who think I compressed the timeline a little, my job was as Computer Repair Technician so I got to hear from the people on the bleeding edge of the tech.

It is 2018, and you can still find people without computers or smartphones, but those people in North America and Europe are now the exception not the rule.

Earl Colby Pottinger (Tesla and Bollinger fan)

Last edited by earl pottinger; 10-21-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:11 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

I’m in favor of developing new technologies. It employs and provides a lot of new and challenging work for engineers and scientists. But I’m skeptical of predictions about how quickly things will change. Usually the wheels of progress (and acceptance) turn slowly and I don’t see electrification of transportation any differently. Will be interesting to see how all this turns out.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:17 PM
earl pottinger
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

The grid not being able to handle EV charging to date is an anti-EV talking point for many many years but has very little evidence there is a actual problem. Please cite any reputable sources of this assertion. Most charging is done at home and daily commutes of 70 miles or less require 25 kWh or less of power overnight - well with in the range of household and residential power grid usage - especially if you do it while everyone is asleep and most homes are idle...

To me I have to wonder if the anti-EV people are correct how can the grid work even today. People in general turn on the electric stoves to cook dinner in generally the same time. People general all turn on the washing machines and dryers at same time of the day. If the grid that is going to charge most cars at 9:00 PM to 6:00 AM is going to fail because of the cars charging, it should also fail at the end of the day when people come home from work, turn on the TV, the stove and the oven and maybe do a little vacuuming, yet to date I have never heard of a power failure anywhere here in North America caused by people turning on the regular household appliances.

Heatwaves and air-conditioners can cause problems, but the demands that appliances that put the same strain on the grid as car chargers is a non-issue.

Earl Colby Pottinger (Tesla and Bollinger fan)

Quick Reply: Fully electric cars will account for >50% of Porsche sales by 2025