Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Batteries - what will happen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 10:09 AM
Jon H
Racer

Received 203 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Used Batteries - what will happen?

As EV and Hybrid numbers increase and they accumulate mileage & years on them eventually they will need new batteries.

What will happen to all these used Li batteries?
Old 10-18-2018, 12:18 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

The first batches of batteries from electric and hybrid vehicles are hitting retirement age, yet they aren't bound for landfills. Instead, they'll spend their golden years chilling beer at 7-Elevens in Japan, powering car-charging stations in California and storing energy for homes and grids in Europe.
https://www.afr.com/business/energy/...0180627-h11ynt
Old 10-18-2018, 12:33 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

I think about this often. History is full of humans picking up the pieces of unintended consequences of "progress". When cars were first becoming popular in the early 20th century, they were hailed as the solution to the biggest urban pollution issue of the time - horse manure. No one ever thought about the pollution impact of the ICE. So if electric really does replace the ICE, I fear we could be trying to solve a different pollution problem at the beginning of the 22nd century.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:01 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 415 Likes on 284 Posts

They can be recycled - just like 99% of all automotive lead-acid batteries are. The cobalt is particularly valuable.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:34 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

^^^^this is not true, it is in fact very difficult to recycle most non Pb - acid batteries in a cost effective and energy efficient manner.

I'll explain, a battery consists of an anode, a cathode, a separator and an electrolyte. There are six principal types of Li batteries generally available. Mostly these have carbon based anodes.

The lithium is contained in the electrolyte and in the cathode, in the former as a salt and in the latter as an oxide or phosphate usually combined with cobalt, aluminium and manganese (individually or in varying proportions).

To seperate the components requires mechanical breakdown of the battery - then the constituent parts have to be separated. The metals are then recovered through electrowinning e.g. the cathode and electrolyte can be dissolved in acid (after the removal of the fairly nasty organics from the electrolyte) with the metals recovered in a series of electrolytic cells.

Neither cheap, efficient or environmentally friendly.

Last edited by groundhog; 10-18-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:47 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 1,757 Posts

"needing" new batteries is a vague statement…I bought a used leaf that get's 65 of it's original 85 mile range - do I "need" a new battery for it?The answer is now, I bought it knowing it's range and it sufficient for my local neighborhood kid's car commuter needs on a daily basis. So the decision to replace a degraded LiON battery depends on what your daily demand profile looks like, and it's not at all clear you need to replace the battery just because it can only go 270 miles on a. full charge when it was originally a 310 mile battery at point of sale…especially for the 200 mile+ EV's when it's a fact that 98% of daily driving usage is less than 60 miles range total.

LiON batteries degrade in that they can no longer hold as many kWh as they original did when first sold, but they don't tend to actually "fail". They definitely degrade, but if the battery continues to work and it's daily charge range is sufficient for your driving needs it's not clear you need to replace the battery. Nissan is successfully refurbishing Leaf batteries in Japan and selling them at retail costs that are 1/2 the cost of the original battery new - and there is a robust market for degraded batteries to be used as alternative stationary storage for energy storage solutions to smooth out peak/load/production/demand issues…over time these systems will be dealt with like all complex systems and existing techniques will be refined/improved and new methods will be developed. The materials in the battery are valuable and the batteries themselves are valuable. It is not at all clear they will simply end up in landfills and the actual useful life should be longer than people think.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:50 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Its a a question of economics, its technically possible to recycle certain components but its very expensive to do so.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:01 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

"I fear we could be trying to solve a different pollution problem at the beginning of the 22nd century."
well given he dramatic reduction in overall resource consumption of an EV over it's life span vs. the same ICE car, we have quite the energy budget to work with before an EV is even break even vs. driving and ICE car - so some portion of that "saving" in impact will be lost to end of life disposal is inevitable, but again while it's expensive, it's not more expensive than driving the gas the car in the first time. If you want to do a total birth to grave analysis the EV is shares a lot with ICE cars so it's the same, lacks some really nasty parts where it's better (no exhaust system or fluid tainted mechanical bits), and dramatically better in other areas - the EV motors are very recyclable and contain valuable commodities that are easily recovered - an AC induction motor that used copper-wound induction coils is a fabulous resource for recycled materials and lacks the fossil fuel contamination that complicates the ICE recovery process....and then there is the battery which can be recycled or resused in various applications at some cost....

but over life of an EV being driven for 13,500 miles/year you are accumulating quite an energy budget of "savings" vs. the ICE car - and at the end of that life from an total impact point of view you will lose some of those savings to deal with the battery - but I highly doubt recycling a LiON EV battery will wipe out the total energy savings over the life of an EV vs. the total energy consumption by simply driving the ICE....so it's very possible and likely to be a net win even with battery disposal and recovery costs....

but I"m confident when it becomes a problem we can surmount it - in the mean time it's a fact EV's are zero emission and use less energy overall during the life of their usage and that energy can come from a variety sources rather than just one source…let's not pretend the disposal of ICE vehicles is a panacea…it's not.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:13 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

"The paper concludes that renewal of surface of EV
battery electrodes by removing SEI and reassembly of the
components will enable reuses of the battery and will be
much less expensive than manufacturing a new battery
(PDF) End-of-life (EOL) issues and options for electric vehicle batteries. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publica...icle_batteries[accessed Oct 18 2018]."
https://www.researchgate.net/publica...icle_batteries

just one example of what can happen at the EOL of an EV battery - from he conclusion of this paper - EV batteries are too valuable to end up in a land file and reuse, refurbishment, and recycling are all possible, not free, but possible and likely once volumes are big enough to matter (cause the impact will be big enough to matter) - I'm confident that if this is the biggest problem with an EV it can be solved - once we are presented with a problem humans are pretty good at figuring out solutions - we don't have to sit on our hands and say "oh well that's a nasty problem, we should keep burning dead dinosaurs at 28 mpg and beathing the toxic fumes cause it might be hard to recycle a LiON battery" - I'd much rather have the contained LiON battery recycling problem, than the ongoing toxic airborne emissions problems from billions of idle'ing ICE engines - worse case we pile them all in once place and use them as giant paper weights, they at least don't get released into the atmosphere and get added to the overall CO2 parts-per-million count world wide.

it's a constrained problem and is technologically feasible, the ONLY comment about it is that it is current expensive for some definition of expensive without accounting for the "expense" of doing nothing and continuing status quo - if the only argument against LiON battery is they are "expensive" at EOL that's a reasonably high class problem that I'm sure we can solve, it's much hard to recapture all the pollutants output by an ICE engine over it's life, and to date isn't even really feasible…there is no perfect solution, but one clearly has a life cycle advantage if what you're optimizing for is emissions control - which is what we are in fact optimizing for.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:34 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Nissan is successfully refurbishing batteries in Japan for the Leaf - after 100,000-200,000 miles you can spend $3,000 and get a brand new fresh refurbished LiON battery and they take your old battery and refurbish it also…

https://insideevs.com/nissan-introdu...-new-4r-plant/

$3,000 for a new refurbished battery installed works out to $0.015/mile driven for a new battery which will completely restore your car's original range, and the battery doesn't end up in a landfill - that's chump change and much cheaper than any common 100,000-200,000 mile ICE refurbishment. And I doubt Nissan's losing money on this affair - so I question the comment that this is "expensive".

including the battery refurbishment cost that change the equation for driving an electric car from about $0.05/mile to $0.06/mile driven - still way way cheaper than a ICE car.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:35 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Again, its a question of economics - this is well understood. Expensive as in uneconomic. Thats why its not routinely done and thats why everyone avoids the question

Its plenty hard to capture the pollutants due to EVs too. Mostly they are made of aluminium and are large and heavy and thus consume large amounts of raw material - the aluminium is usually sourced from mined bauxite put through electric arc furnaces - a very high energy process per unit of production.

I explained how recycling of a battery is done, I also explained why its expensive and currently largely uneconomic to do so.

The thread is about used batteries.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:48 PM
earl pottinger
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
^^^^this is not true, it is in fact very difficult to recycle most non Pb - acid batteries in a cost effective and energy efficient manner.

I'll explain, a battery consists of an anode, a cathode, a separator and an electrolyte. There are six principal types of Li batteries generally available. Mostly these have carbon based anodes.

The lithium is contained in the electrolyte and in the cathode, in the former as a salt and in the latter as an oxide or phosphate usually combined with cobalt, aluminium and manganese (individually or in varying proportions).

To seperate the components requires mechanical breakdown of the battery - then the constituent parts have to be separated. The metals are then recovered through electrowinning e.g. the cathode and electrolyte can be dissolved in acid (after the removal of the fairly nasty organics from the electrolyte) with the metals recovered in a series of electrolytic cells.

Neither cheap, efficient or environmentally friendly.

However, that all will take place in a recycling factory. The contents are now concentrated compared to processing raw ore. So not cheap - but cheaper than processing the raw materials.

Look at the metal industries, they already find recycling to be cheaper than raw materials in most cases.

Earl Colby Pottinger (Tesla and Bollinger fan)

Last edited by earl pottinger; 10-18-2018 at 11:21 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 10-18-2018, 11:03 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groundhog
I explained how recycling of a battery is done, I also explained why its expensive and currently largely uneconomic to do so.
and yet Nissan is doing for a reasonable price - your argument ignores the production/consumer level already deployed solution - and it's just the beginning. I don't consider $3000 expensive for a fully refurbished battery after 100,000 or more miles…

as far as aluminum all cars are moving that direction so we'll call that a wash for EV vs. ICE…
Old 10-18-2018, 11:32 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon H
As EV and Hybrid numbers increase and they accumulate mileage & years on them eventually they will need new batteries.

What will happen to all these used Li batteries?

They will all pile up in special containment areas in salvage yards across the world while all the EV loyalists stand around saying " the technology is getting better every day and soon they will find a viable solution to recycle these things "
Old 10-18-2018, 11:37 PM
earl pottinger
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Well

Originally Posted by limegreen
They will all pile up in special containment areas in salvage yards across the world while all the EV loyalists stand around saying " the technology is getting better every day and soon they will find a viable solution to recycle these things "
Since they are already recycling they today your claim is silly. In-fact tried and buy an old BEV battery today and you will be surprised at the cost because they are being sucked up not just from people making BEVs but as storage units for solar power. And the more that come on the market the more people will find uses for them.

Those are the real world facts TODAY.

Earl Colby Pottinger (Tesla and Bollinger fan)

Quick Reply: Used Batteries - what will happen?