Sponsored by:

Are these good locations

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 02:20 AM
earl pottinger
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Are these good locations

Just saw a post about Ionity opening 10 quick chargers and plan for 16 more to quickly follow.

See: https://www.mestmotor.se/recharge/ar...ar-laddningen/

However, there is a map showing the location of the installed chargers and the planned ones. What stuck me was that most are not major cities where I expect the customers to be, also they don't seem to form the chains I expect for major highways for people going long distances.

1) Do I have the scale wrong (I live in North America) and the chargers are closer than I think.

2) Is there a good reason not to build near Munich, Hamburg or Berlin? I notice one is planned near Paris but the one they opened first is a lot further away.

3) Should there not be at-least one more in France halfway between Paris France and Switzerland to help travel?

Like I said, maybe I have the distances wrong, but it seem like not the best locations to me.

If I am wrong, please tell me what is that I am analyzing wrong, life is for learning and we all can make mistakes.

Otherwise, if I have the ranges wrong does this mean the Taycan can do a full tour of Europe without long stops? That will be neat to read about.

Earl Colby Pottinger (Tesla and Bollinger fan)
Old 09-29-2018, 06:30 AM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 416 Likes on 284 Posts

Great questions. An excellent resource is https://www.plugshare.com/. This is a crowd-sourced map of a huge percentage of EV charging locations. For long distance travelling between cities, one would really want to pay attention to the high-speed "Level 3" DC charging locations. For the Taycan you'd want to click on the 'CCS/SAE' filter. The corresponding locations will show up in orange. Click on the location you are interested in and it will give details including which charging network it is a part of, number of charging stalls, user reviews, etc.

When travelling, one can also use the map to look for overnight stops that offer lower speed "Level 2" AC charging. They use the cars on-board charger to charge the battery. (High speed DC charging bypasses the on-board charger.) In North America you'd select the "J-1772" filter, and perhaps others. The locations show up in green. That allows you to leave in the morning with a "full tank" of electrons. For example: My wife and I recently spent a few days up in the Napa Valley. I was expecting that we'd drive around enough that we'd probably need to stop by the Napa Supercharger for a few minutes before heading home. However it turned out to be unnecessary. The place we stayed at had a power receptacle exactly next to the parking spot. It was an even slower "Level 1" (120v) connection. But two nights of overnight charging, plus a couple of hours of complimentary charging at a winery we visited were enough that I started the return trip with a fully charged battery.

Last edited by whiz944; 09-29-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:46 PM
earl pottinger
Racer

I know about plugshare, but Taycan is suppose to allow quick-charging which can be important for longer trips if you need to travel as fast as possible. Is there a way to see only the fast chargers?

Slower recharge speeds are fine for me, but a number of people in past posts I have read (elsewhere) have commented that they wanted to travel for point A to point B as fast as possible and think 30 minutes to 1 hour recharge times are ridiculous. To these people available quick chargers are important and they want 15 minutes to power up.

What are they going to do? I am trying to see what I am missing.

Earl Colbt Pottinger (Tesla and Bollinger fan)

PS. Is anyone thinking of supplying a map of fast chargers only?
Old 09-29-2018, 03:54 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

you can filter in plug share by fast charger's only - play with the options.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:58 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 416 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by earl pottinger
I know about plugshare, but Taycan is suppose to allow quick-charging which can be important for longer trips if you need to travel as fast as possible. Is there a way to see only the fast chargers?
Yes. As I mentioned above, you want to enable the "CCS/SAE" filter (and disable any others). To get to the filters, look in the upper left corner of your screen where the "Search for Charging Location" dialog box is. Click on the button next to it with the three horizontal lines to bring up the menu.

The current state of todays CCS infrastructure isn't that great in North America. It's not too bad along the coasts and many metropolitan areas. But the rest is a problem. Many of the locations that do exist are only 25- and 50-kW units (vs Teslas Superchargers at 120 kW), and most locations have only one or two charging stalls (vs Tesla who build anywhere from 6-8 to as many as 40 stalls at a single site). Things are improving though. VWs "Electrify America" program is installing a bunch of CCS sites as part of their Dieselgate settlement. Other entities are installing them too. It will be interesting to see how well-developed it all is by the time the Taycan comes out.

Last edited by whiz944; 09-29-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:19 PM
earl pottinger
Racer

Thank you for the information. I have been fighting with plug share trying to get the information. Of-course I was doing everything wrong. So again thank you for the help.

Earl Colbt Pottinger (Tesla and Bollinger fan)

Quick Reply: Are these good locations