Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT - Walter Rohrl not a fan of electric cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 01:04 AM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Numbers don't seem to matter, to Rohl. It could be never, before ICE takes Pikes Peak back. Sorry, Walt.

It would be easy to be a lot more incendiary. Charging at 120, 150, 350KW, and 300+ mile ranges don't mean anything to the same person, who probably can't name battery ingredients, substitutes, etc., but will blather on about their availability.

I would think a rally driver could get excited about digital torque vectoring. Not Rohl.

Even when some of these people are convicts in our country, and imprisoned by their own, they still can't STFU.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:34 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by blepski
Well I suppose based on that you got me there as I went by memory rather than fact so I apologize , by 3 series I meant more along the lines of their sport sedan offerings and wasn’t even thinking about or considering that disgusting pig of a Gran Turismo.

BMW is another car company that’s impossible to keep up with and has almost completely lost its way all the same....
FYI, I wasn't trying to "get you" on the numbers. My point was that many people are judging EV's based on incorrect assumptions. In this case you seemed to be trying to make a point that EV's suffer a large weight penalty of >1,000lbs due to the battery. My point was simply newer EV's don't suffer from a weight penalty.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:48 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,603 Likes on 1,760 Posts

We are not talking about range vs the weight of the fuel.

we are talking about how far you go for fuel consumed - and the math shows the EV goes further for the same amount of fuel consumed.

yes battery density for energy unit is less than gasoline - that is a measure of fuel density - _NOT_ a measure of consumption efficiency.

a 75 kWh battery in a Tesla model 3 can go 300 miles - more than enough for 99.9% of drivers typical usage - and enough to go for 5 hours @ 60 mph between charging stops.

we are comparing how much power is consumed to go a distance - and the same amount of fuel is better used in commercial scale power generation than in a 17% efficient gas motor. Over the life of an EV you will use 3 times less fuel than a gas car, 75 kWh at a time. The energy density of the battery is a capacity measurement not an efficiency measurement (efficiency per unit volume and weight yes). And yes EV’s batteries hold less energy capacity than a 20 gallon fuel tank, but then consume that energy at 90% efficiency @ 3-4 miles driven per kWH of battery capacity. So the super low density battery than only holds 75 kWh (about 2.5 gallons of gas worth of power) of power can drive 310 miles on a single charge having consumed less fuel to drive those 310 miles and therefore generate less emissions even when you factor in the power plant.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:09 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

EV’s optimize distance per unit traveled - less fuel greater distance.

the comparison is _NOT_ about how far a gas car can go with 1100 lbs of fuel - 1 us gallon of gas weighs 6.183 pound - 1100 / 6.183 = 177.xx gallons

177 * 28 = 4956 miles driven

177 gallon however contains 33 kWh of power per gallon or 5841 kWh of raw power - burn the same 177 gallons of gas at a 48% power plant which will yield 2628 kWh delivered to the grid and the Tesla model 3 will drive 2628 kWh / .285 kWh/mile 9222 miles - charging it 75 kWh at a time.

Same 177 gallons of gasoline burned - gas car will drive 4956 miles, the EV will drive 9222 miles 75 kWh at a time

note: no one uses gasoline to run a power plant - too inefficient with losses due to refining, we wouldn’t use gasoline delivered to a power plant we’d use raw fuel oil which is more efficient, if you factor in the raw fuel oil needed to make 177 gallons of gas and the 6kWh of power used for each gallon the EV’s numbers get way better on total distance driven for fuel consumed...i compared gasoline to keep it apples to apples, but grid doesn’t run on gasoline, too inefficient, and a reminder if the grid isn’t using fossil fuels the EV runs on wind or solar etc....gas cars only drive with fossil fuels.

40 mpg is generous - 28 is more normal (panamera)
Old 09-23-2018, 11:38 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

the move to EV'is about improving Miles-Driven-Per-Gallon (MPG) efficiency. MPG doesn't care how much the fuel weighs or doesn't weigh. @blepski continous comparison of weight of a battery vs. weight of gasoline is pointless. We are optimizing for MPG. We are not given a weight budget (i.e. how far can I drive for 1100 lbs worth of capacity - 1100 lbs of gasoline is 177 gallons, and 1100 lbs of LiON battery equals about 75kWh or 2.27 gallons of gasoline).

why optimize MPG - because we BURN fossil fuels to drive a particular distance. And burning those fuels causes emissions, some are toxic and some are green-house-gas. A majority of nations are pushing for fewer emissions (of all kinds) - which means _IF_ we are going to consume fossil fuels (and we are) then we should optimized the benefit of that consumption.

The consumption metric of choice for the transportation industry is:

Mile's driven per unit of fuel consumed
fossil-fuels typically means barrels of oil or therms of natural-gas. Both of which are very very very energy dense (most dense materials known to man other than radioactive sources).

So we have a simple choice. Given that we _ARE_ going to BURN these fossil fuels, in context of transportation the question is:

how many miles can I drive per-unit of fossil fuel consumed? good old MPG
given a FUEL budget, not a WEIGHT budget, how much fuel will I consume to drive a certain number of miles in year. That is the metric we are optimizing, which translates into controlling emissions of harmful byproducts produced by burning fossil fuels.

For our comparison we have two types of vehicles. One type of vehicle will do it 20 gallons of gasoline at a time (ICE) which typically average 28 miles per-gallon. Another type of vehicle will do it 75 kWh of battery capacity at a time which typically average 4 miles/kWh driven). How far can the two cars go for the SAME amount of fuel consumed (burnt)? Note: we are not comparing the capacity of the two car's since that metric is pointless, both cars can easily cover 250 miles on a single tank of "fuel". We are measuring total fuel consumed over a given distance traveled.
Internal Combustion Engines (ICE's) consume gasoline which is refine barrels of oil - For one barrel of oil you can get 20 gallons of gasoline. You will then burn that barrel of oil in a 28 mpg ICE car and you are able to drive 560 miles. We have burned one barrel of oil, it's emissions have been released into the atmosphere, and you drove 560 miles. At the average yearly driving of 13,500 miles, that is 24 barrels of oil consumed in one year, burnt, gone, emissions released.

Miles per gallon actually driven is 28 miles per gallon driven that is the EFFICIENCY of a Porsche Panamera - 24 barrels of oil consumed a year.

Now an EV doesn't consume barrels of oil directly. It has an 1100 lbs rechargeable battery. In that 1100 lbs battery it can hold 75 kWh of energy. You provide that energy via the electrical grid which is ubiquitous in developed nations. Therefore the efficiency of the EV is DIRECTLY tied to the efficiency of the power generation infrastructure. The math here is power grids in developed nations are typically at least 40% efficient, often times much greater. Combine this with the 90-95% efficient of batteries and EV motors and we can drive further for the same number of barrels of oil consumed.

when measuring the efficient of the electrical grid we will measure how many kWh's you are able to deliver to the grid for one-unit of fossil-fuel consumed. Electrical power plants don't consume gasoline, but they do consume barrels of oil. And a raw barrel of oil contains 1628.2 kWh of potential chemical energy when burnt. Deliver that same barrel of oil to a 52% efficient fuel-oil fired power plant and you will delivery 1628.2 kWh * 52% = 846.66 kWh delivered to the grid.

so:
1 barrel of oil = 846 kWh
we are still burning barrels of oil, so same impact on the environment, same source of fuel. But instead of converting the barrel of oil to gasoline, and then consuming it 20 gallons at a time @ 28 mpg - we are burning that same barrel of at a power plant to generate 846 kWh (I'm going to round to 850 kWh for the remainder of this post)

so now we have 850 kWh of power. The Tesla Model 3 can drive about 4.13 miles / kWh consumed (75 kWh battery EPA rated range of 310 miles). So how far can the Tesla Model 3 drive on 850 kWh of power from a single barrel of oil?

850 kWh * 4.13 = 3510.5 miles driven

so when measuring fuel efficiency miles-per-gallon the EV will go 3510.5 miles for one barrel of oil burnt vs. the 28 mpg car for 20 gallons of gasoline which is the yield from one barrel of oil.

so the EV can drive 3510 miles for one barrel of oil - so it requires 13,500 miles / 3510 miles/barrel = 3.8 barrels of oil delivered to a fuel-oil fired power plant.

so now we can compare barrels of oil consumed per year for 13,500 miles driven (MPG)

the 28 mpg ICE car can drive 13,500 miles for a consumption rate of 24 barrels of oil - fact!
the EV requires 3.8 barrels of oil to drive the same 13,500 miles
the weight of the battery has NOTHING to do with the efficiency as measured by units of energy consumed per-mile. We are measuring how many barrels of oil does it take to drive X miles - and one form of transportation is the clear winner when attempting to optimize CONSUMPTION of fuel.

Same fuel consumption - barrels of oil - one car can go 13,500 miles for 4 barrels of oil, and the other car requires 24 barrels of oil to drive the exact same distance in a year.

Now there are kickers for the EV that make it even better:
  1. I didn't factor in the 6 kWh of power used to make 1 gallon of fuel - don't refine the gasoline you have 6 kWh "extra" grid capacity to play with
  2. EV's don't have to be powered by fossil fuels - they can be powered by zero-emission power plants which actually exist on a commercial scale and there are more every day
  3. the EV doesn't consume oil and fluids and need servicing every 5000 miles like a ICE car
to put it simply we are NOT comparing the energy density of the fuel tank (20 gallons of gasoline for 130 lbs of fossil fuel in the car) vs. 1100 lbs of battery for approximately 2.5 gallons of fossil fuel.

we are comparing for a given amount of fuel (regardless of weight) how much do you consume to drive a distance of X?

the push for EV's is NOT a push for energy density, it's push for emissions control, and if you consume less fuel (which EV do hands down) you lower your emission per-mile even when your power grid is fossil fuel based, but you can move your power grid to NOT be fossil-fuel based and then the EV's continue to drive miles, but have even less emissions/mile.

comparing the energy density of batteries to gasoline when what we are measuring is distance per unit of "fuel" consumed misses the point of what is being optimized.

given a fossil fuel budget - say 4 barrels of oil a year - your choice of how you consume it. You can consume and burn those 4 barrels of oil in your gas car, or you can consume those same 4 barrels of oil at a power plant and charge your EV - I know which one I would pick.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 09-23-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:45 AM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 415 Likes on 284 Posts

A Tesla Model 3 battery pack weighs roughly 1,100 lbs which is needed to go that supposed maximum of 300 miles under near perfect conditions...
The Model 3's EPA combined city+highway average rated range is stated at 310 miles. That is not a 'maximum under near perfect conditions'. In my experience it is actually a bit conservative. At least for the RWD version of the car. (Dual motor reportedly has a bit less range than the RWD - even though they are all rated at 310 miles.) If someone wants to spend a couple days of their life circling a track at 20-30 mph with the HVAC off, the record so far seems to be (quick googling) 606.2 miles. https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-...t-606-2-miles/
Old 09-23-2018, 12:19 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

I give up Dave04porsche, I gave it my best but there is simply no way to debate against your refusal to admit that the energy density of gasoline is FAR greater than that of a lithium ion battery. It’s best display of that is by discussing the weight and size of the battery because as I demonstrated very clearly I thought , that’s where it’s greatest weakness lies.

I attempted to break it down into its simplest terms with a very rudimentary calculation to display the glaring deficiency but the very word “simple” proves problematic for your immediate deflection into efficiency calculations loaded with skewed math , logic , wishful thinking and some kind of personal aspiration of becoming an EV marketing propaganda leader.

I‘m very happy that you are so passionate about your Tesla but perhaps you can reserve your passion and propaganda for threads where people want to discuss how amazing they are and continue building hype and congratulating themselves.

Oh by the way Tesla is in financial trouble and hovering on the brink of collapse but you and your EV converts are so enthralled by the music that your not noticing the ship may be sinking ... I can’t say I blame you though as Tesla from day one has been a major hype machine who’s success has been largely dependent on its abilties to capture their buyers imagination and as we can see here many Tesla buyers sure do have an imagination.

The other purchasers who are less imaginative, however , have been plagued by real world range anxiety issues particularly in temperature extremes and stopped traffic situations during longer
trips , reliability problems and have ultimately leaned back on their other ICE car and plan to turn in their Tesla with no immediate plans for a replacement.

The range issues are real because no matter how you slice it the batteries are sub par and the sparse charging network remains the only lifeline an EV possesses for survival. In the northeast ( not sunny California where life is grand and everything is better ) this is a real problem.

This is a thread where I was hoping to build upon the blatantly truthful statements of a Porsche employee who like me and many others DO NOT like EV’s , especially where sports cars are concerned and wish to have a debate that doesn’t include the same handful of EV owners landing in on a crusade to convince everyone else otherwise.

Last edited by limegreen; 09-23-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:29 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

a very interesting comparison which is a pure apple's to apple's comparison - is to compare the MPG efficiency of a Honda Civic CNG vehicle to a Tesla Model 3 - this is interesting because there are in fact Natural Gas powered power plants. So we're comparing the exact same fuel source and the number of miles driven…

According to Honda - the LNG Civic can drive 31 mpg/CNG

now we know 1 gallon of LNG contains 21.75 kWh Energy Density
and we know Natural Gas fired power plants are up to 62% efficient
and we know the Tesla Model 3 can drive 4.17 miles / kWh

so 1 gallon of LNG delivered to a power plant can general 21.75 kWh * 62% = 13.485 kwh delivered to the grid.

so the head to head comparison for the same amount of LNG burnt is:

1 gallon of LNG in a Honda Civic = 31 miles driven
1 gallon of LNG via a Powerplant in a Tesla Model 3 = 13.485 kWh * 4.17 mile/kWh = 56.23 miles driven 1.81 times more efficient for the same amount of fuel consumed.

you can't make the math any simpler. EV's are more efficient, therefore emit fewer emissions per-mile driven even when the grid is fossil fuel powered. It's way better to consume the fossil fuel at a commerical scale power plant than to consume it directly in an ICE car.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:31 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

debate against your refusal to admit that the energy density of gasoline is FAR greater than that of a lithium ion battery
I fully admit gasoline has greater density than LiON battery pack. I have never debated that.

but we are measuring distance per unit of fuel consumed. You are arguing energy density - I'm discussing fuel efficiency - those are two different metrics.

how do you not understand you consume less fuel with an EV to drive the same distance, the energy density argument is pointless vs. fuel consumed.

what difference does the weight of the battery make and it's energy density when an ICE cars drives 28/mpg and the EV drives at a consumption rate of 100 mpg.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:36 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

efficiency calculations loaded with skewed math , logic , wishful thinking and some kind of personal aspiration of becoming an EV marketing propaganda leader.
what math is skewed? please point it out with numbers

A Tesla Model 3 drives 4.17 miles for 1 kWh of power consumed.

where is the skew or propaganda? that's an observable fact.

the efficiency of the power grid is an observable fact.

you have failed to point out what math is skewed.

28 miles per gallon of gas is the published number for a Porsche Panamera..

there is NO propaganda - it's all observable facts regarding energy efficiency

please state which conversion rate you object to? what math is skewed?

you're giving up because your wrong. Energy density has NOTHING to do with energy efficiency other than volume/weight of the fuel source - but your metric has nothing to do with how far I can drive per unit of fuel consumed - MPG.

where is the MPG calculations wrong? where is the propaganda? where is the skew in my MPG calculations.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:42 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

blatantly truthful statements of a Porsche employee who like me and many others DO NOT like EV’s
not liking EV's does not make their MPG numbers skewed or propaganda.

again what part of an EV's MPG efficiency is propaganda?

I have driven my Tesla Model X 1820 miles for 668 kWh consumed. That is an observable and repeatable fact. And we can calculate how much fossil fuel it took for the power generation grid to generate that 668 kwh. Hint it's a lot less fossil fuel than it would take to drive the Macan the same distance.

there is NO propaganda there is no skew - EV's are 3 times more efficient with fuel consumed than gas cars.

You continued focus on energy density has NOTHING to do with energy EFFICIENCY when measuring the conversion rate to motion (speed & distance).

You are simply a hater that is upset the world is passing you by - but you have no FACTS to prove EV are less efficient than gas cars. It may be because they are in fact more efficient.

it should be really really easy to refute my arguments since they are based on only a few conversion ratios- here I'll make it simple for you - multiple choice - which of the following skewed/propaganda conversion ratios are wrong:
  • Porsche Panamera gets 28 miles per gallon of gasoline consumed (90% of ICE's are in the 24-34 mpg range)
  • one barrel of oil yields 20 gallon of refined gasoline
  • The average EV gets 3-4 miles driven per-kwh consumed
  • existing Commercial scale power plants convert fossil fuels to kWh at a 45-60% efficiency ratio delivered to the electrical grid.
  • the amount of kWh contained in various fossil fuel sources is well documented/understood
please point out which of the above ratios is skewed propaganda? Go on I'll wait, what are you sources?

are you saying the Tesla Model 3 can not drive 4.17 miles/kwh? you are saying that's propaganda?
Old 09-23-2018, 12:46 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

I’m giving up because I’m not interested in arguing with a brick wall.

I really don’t care to prove you wrong either because I believe that’s an impossible feat. Also
likely the case in your personal life as well.

The only thing you’ve succeeded in here is sucking the life out of this thread where no one will comment further in opposition to you , including myself.

Due to the fact that you thrive
on touting your intelligence and superiority in this matter. I’ll leave you with one final glimpse into your infuriating ability to skew data : NO ONE at any point said anything about the Panamera. I was discussing a theoretical model of an efficient car that yields 40 mpg because most EV’s are geared towards efficiency over performance.

In order to lower the staggering number calulated by using 40 mpg you fliped to discussing the Panamera and it’s 28 mpg because you felt that number better suited whatever ridiculous point you were attempting to make.

Last edited by limegreen; 09-23-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:50 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I’m giving up because I’m not interested in arguing with a brick wall.
only one of us is a brick wall

what are you efficient numbers per mile driven?
Old 09-23-2018, 12:51 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

here are my skewed and propaganda numbers from an actual trip I took this summer

see post #20 in this thread - where I drove 1820 miles and only consumed 668.9 kWh…

https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan-a...l#post15176421

yeah skewed and propaganda - not true at all - completely made up efficiency numbers.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 09-23-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:00 PM
Ungjaevel
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing you’ve succeeded in here is sucking the life out of the thread where no one will comment further.
Nah mate.. that's you.

As far as I can see... daveo has valid points and replies in a systematic manner. Whereas you... intentionally or unintentionally... missed the point. Every... time.

It seems to me that you have made up your mind, and sticking to it. No matter what anyone writes. Brick. Wall.

Quick Reply: OT - Walter Rohrl not a fan of electric cars