Sponsored by:

OT - Walter Rohrl not a fan of electric cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 04:01 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by blepski
A Tesla Model 3 battery pack weighs roughly 1,100 lbs which is needed to go that supposed maximum of 300 miles under near perfect conditions.
That is true, or close to it (1054 lbs and 330 miles for the 2wd are the accurate numbers). And if energy density was all that mattered cars would still all be powered by gasoline (or better yet plutonium decay batteries at ~2.1 mWh per kg).

However look at the complete power-pack weight for a nominal 500 hp car and a very different picture emerges:
  • 16 gallons of gas in a fuel tank with pump, filler, etc weights roughly 120 lbs- starting from a net negative of 1054 lb battery weight the gasoline car remains 934 lbs ahead.
  • A higher end Porsche engine, dressed, makes roughly 1 hp per pound, so 500 lbs of engine is needed for a 500 hp car. A higher end electric motor is roughly 5 hp per pound, or 100 lbs for the same power- a 400 lb advantage for the EV. The gasoline car is now 534 lbs ahead.
  • A 7 speed PDK gearbox is roughly .45 lbs per hp, while a far simpler single speed EV gearbox is roughly half that. You're now down to a 420 lb advantage to the gasoline car.
  • The gasoline car will likely have three radiators, possibly a couple inter-coolers, oil and perhaps 80 lbs of coolant in order to reject waste heat. With the associated cooling ducts, etc this likely totals to roughly .4 lbs per hp or 200 lbs. Net the gas advantage is now down to 220 lbs.
There are many other small puts and takes (larger 12V lead acid battery for the ICE, power electronics and wiring for the EV, smaller brakes on the EV due to regen, etc) but ballpark 200 lbs is a more realistic penalty for a the Model 3 vs a similar gasoline car. This is in line with what the BMW 3 series comparison shows, though that car doesn't have nearly 500 hp where the dual motor model 3 comes close, so this might be conservative.

Now consider the placement of that weight. Radiators, engines and gearboxes tend to be at the ends of the car, leading to high polar moment. The battery pack meanwhile is in the best possible location: central and low, right where you'd add ballast on a race car. Dynamically I'd take the low CG and polar moment over a 5% weight advantage.

Finally let's consider what happens when you take the next logical step and evaluate a 1000 hp car: given the way engine and gearbox weight scale with HP suddenly the EV has a 500 lb advantage using the same numbers despite the 1100 lb boat anchor of a battery.

This is obviously rough math, though all derived from real numbers. If you can follow hopefully you can see why energy density, while nice, is far from the most important number to focus on. It also illustrates why high performance EVs will pose such a threat to the existence of gasoline powered sports cars. Perhaps that's why there's so much negativity towards them, and if so that's quite legitimate. As I've said I'm firmly on the side of wanting to be able to buy gasoline powered (preferably normally aspirated and manual) sports cars in the future.

Last edited by Petevb; 09-24-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:15 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Pete's analysis with data + the greater efficiency of EV's at approximately 90-120 mpg are why EV's are the future. ICE's simply can't compete - not skew, not propaganda, but energy and science (yes some found on the internet but well regarded and referenced and peer-reviewed)

we have seen peak ICE - and EV will play an ever greater role in our future, you don't have to like it - but it's being done for a reason and it's not all crap.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:23 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

+1, so true. i3 driver here.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:51 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by blepski
Your so called facts are nothing more than what you’ve read from someone else and without first hand experience you possess absolutely no right to tout them as absolute.

You can’t even accurately present what a gallon of actually gasoline weighs. Unless you physically went out and weighed it yourself , your just relying on internet data from various sources which has many varying degrees of accuracy in itself. This same data is what I bet your usuing to base most of your EV propaganda on.

You have an issue with the word propaganda so let’s use the Webster dictionary to define exactly
what your doing :

“information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.”

I could sit here all day posting articles
with counter arguments , math and charts to oppose everything your posting, but it’s not going to matter and you’ve likely already read most of them and disregarded them as they contradict your own personal opinion that your of course entitled to have but not to forcefully push on others.

The only things you can truly stand behind are the facts that you yourself have gathered which aside from some data on your own driving is really limited to that.

You also have absolutely no right to decide what parts of Walters statements are facts or opinion because unless you ask him directly you possess abolsutely no ability to determine which of those statements are based in fact vs opinion.

Given his 20 years at Porsche and decades in the industry I’d say that there is more fact based statement in his interview than you would care to realize.

Also when presented with the statements of a person with real world practical experience and decades of automotive product development knowledge over that of an arrogant internet fact shooter who believes it’s his mission to covert the unfaithful , well you already know who’s side I take here....

I hate EV’s today for the same reason I hated them as a kid playing with an electric remote controlled car. The play time was limted , the recharging was inconvient especially when playing at a park away from a charger and the cost and management of the extra batteries was equally annoying.

Switching to a gas R/C car was the best day of my life as a child and even then I realized that more energy was stored in that small tank of fuel than in that big heavy bulky battery pack.

EVs today are no different than my experience as a child and until that improves dramatically I will continue to avoid them.

I form my opinions carefully and based on my experiences rather than the opinions and facts presented by others. I have never discounted anything without trying it first. Seeing for once on this biased EV car forum someone who’s opinions parelleled mine was refreshing and I sought to find others who may have felt the same.

Instead, I found the same gang of EV crusaders....

Wow, dude, you’re off the rails. We get it’s you don’t like EV’s. Doesn’t mean his facts are wrong. Facts are facts and not debatable. It’s very common knowledge what a gallon of gas weighs. Any scientist can tell you that, the man doesn’t have to go out and measure it in order to know what it weighs.

No no one is invalidating your experiences. You’d rather have the freedom that an ICE engine and the refueling network represents. That’s fine. I didn’t see anyone debating that it does give you way more flexibility. Doesn’t mean that it’s way less efficient than an EV. Sorry, that’s a fact and it’s not debatable. The math is there.

I have three vehicles. One is my work vehicle, the other my wife’s daily driver, and the 911 is for the weekend. I now have a pretty long commute...90-100 miles per day. But despite owning the vehicle for almost 2 years, and living in a VERY car-centric city, I’ve never ONCE driven my car more than 150 miles in one day. Not once. That’s half the range of a Tesla. I would be much better off with an EV for that commute.

My wife’s vehicle is the opposite. It can go 700 miles on a tank of gas. A fact that we’ve actually done more than once. I’ve driven that car 1,200 miles in less than 48 hours. I couldn’t do that even in the best Tesla because my route lacks superchargers. And even if I did, I’d be unwilling to spend the extra time charging (yes, I am aware that many times you can charge while eating, but we eat while driving at times. We truly ironbutt). Any EV, even a Tesla would be terrible for this.

Both of these scenarios are true. Neither of them invalidate each other. But just because my Cayenne Diesel can get 700 miles on 25 gallons of fuel doesn’t Change the fact that I’m turning 60% of the energy available in the diesel into heat (or whatever it is, it’s a lot). Your argument about energy density doesn’t change the fact that an EV is more energy efficient.

And per your point, my work car sees little weekend duty. I either drive my wife’s car for practical reasons (more person or cargo room needed, more comfort desired, etc.), or the 911(way more fun). I spend enough time in that car as it is. I enjoy the joy the 911 gives me. But the 911is horrible for my commute. Too loud, rides rough, it’s low so it’s hard to see around the bro-dozers, gets bad gas mileage, has crappy cupholders, etc. My daily driver is much more comfortable, gets better mileage and requires fewer fill ups, etc. Doesn’t make the 911 less fun to drive.

Horses for courses.

Think of it another way. I have a cooler that can hold one meal. You have a cooler that can hold 8 meals. My cooler has a special lock that means that once opened and closed, it can’t be opened again for an hour. Yours has no such lock. However, your cooler has one condition...it’s not very good at keeping food cold. So out of those 8 meals, 6 of them spoil before you can eat them. Whereas my cooler stays cold for many hours. And that one meal is good to go every time.

In a a given period of time, you can eat way more than me. When your cooler gets empty, you can put mor food in it as soon as it’s done. Plus you can hold enough food to eat two meals at a time. Whereas I must wait an hour and can only eat one meal each hour. So by the measure of being able to eat more food in a day, your cooler is better.

By the measure of saving food, your cooler is terrible. For every 4 meals you put in it, three have to be thrown away. My cooler is very efficient. Every meal I put in it is ok to eat when I need it. That’s the point Dave is making.

Of of course it’s not that simple. But just because an ICE vehicle is better for your use doesn’t make it more energy efficient.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:37 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 416 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
... My wife’s vehicle is the opposite. It can go 700 miles on a tank of gas. A fact that we’ve actually done more than once. I’ve driven that car 1,200 miles in less than 48 hours. I couldn’t do that even in the best Tesla because my route lacks superchargers. And even if I did, I’d be unwilling to spend the extra time charging (yes, I am aware that many times you can charge while eating, but we eat while driving at times. We truly ironbutt). Any EV, even a Tesla would be terrible for this...
Fun factoid: The current EV Cannonball record, from Portofino Inn in L.A. to the Red Ball Garage in NYC, was done with a Model 3 in just under 50 hours, 17 minutes. They drove 2860 miles. Of course they were able to use Superchargers along the way. http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/173...urs-16-minutes They probably could have broken 50 hours, but they got stopped by Oklahomas Finest along the way...
Old 09-23-2018, 11:58 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by whiz944
Fun factoid: The current EV Cannonball record, from Portofino Inn in L.A. to the Red Ball Garage in NYC, was done with a Model 3 in just under 50 hours, 17 minutes. They drove 2860 miles. Of course they were able to use Superchargers along the way. http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/173...urs-16-minutes They probably could have broken 50 hours, but they got stopped by Oklahomas Finest along the way...
Compare that Cannonball 'record' (just 50h) to this one: less than 29h.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:20 AM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ADias
Compare that Cannonball 'record' (just 50h) to this one: less than 29h.
Of course. But that isn't my point. My point is that the gap has gotten closer than many people know. For those of us who don't drive public roads at hyper-legal speeds wearing Stadium Buddies in highly modified vehicles, you can easily drive cross country in a Model 3 about as quickly as a ICE vehicle. A few years ago I did a one-day solo from Portland, Oregon to my home in the San Jose area. It is about 700 miles and fairly close to my limit, anyway, for a one-day drive. For a Model 3 LR, evtripplanner predicts 11 hours of drive time and 1 hour of charging time. I know that on that drive I spent at least an hour for bio/food and gas stops. In fact one of my food stops was in Corning, Ca - exactly next to the Corning Supercharger site. So had I driven my TM3 instead of a ICE vehicle, the time would have been exactly the same. Admittedly not the 'iron butt' described above, but not that far off.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:09 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Of course. But that isn't my point. My point is that the gap has gotten closer than many people know. For those of us who don't drive public roads at hyper-legal speeds wearing Stadium Buddies in highly modified vehicles, you can easily drive cross country in a Model 3 about as quickly as a ICE vehicle. A few years ago I did a one-day solo from Portland, Oregon to my home in the San Jose area. It is about 700 miles and fairly close to my limit, anyway, for a one-day drive. For a Model 3 LR, evtripplanner predicts 11 hours of drive time and 1 hour of charging time. I know that on that drive I spent at least an hour for bio/food and gas stops. In fact one of my food stops was in Corning, Ca - exactly next to the Corning Supercharger site. So had I driven my TM3 instead of a ICE vehicle, the time would have been exactly the same. Admittedly not the 'iron butt' described above, but not that far off.
This is highly variable depending on where you are. For my run from TX to CO, I would have to significantly change routes. I could do it, but it would require 13 charging stops and make the total trip time over 8 hours longer. We do it in about 6 stops, max. Moreover, some of those stops are already of the "splash and dash" variety where we literally run in and use the facilities, grab a drink and are gone in less than 10 minutes. That's significant. It's far from "not that far off". And it's not an uncommon trip. The number of TX vehicles we see at our destination is very, very high.

Trying to argue this point is what makes non-EV converts cringe. There is a difference and if you don't live in a highly electrified area, that difference can be significant.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:17 AM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

This is highly variable depending on where you are. For my run from TX to CO, I would have to significantly change routes. I could do it, but it would require 13 charging stops and make the total trip time over 8 hours longer. We do it in about 6 stops, max. Moreover, some of those stops are already of the "splash and dash" variety where we literally run in and use the facilities, grab a drink and are gone in less than 10 minutes. That's significant. It's far from "not that far off". And it's not an uncommon trip. The number of TX vehicles we see at our destination is very, very high.

Trying to argue this point is what makes non-EV converts cringe. There is a difference and if you don't live in a highly electrified area, that difference can be significant.
A fairly direct route between Houston and, say, Denver is 1033 miles. Playing a bit with evtripplanner, the exact same route can easily be done in a TM3LR with four Supercharging stops: Southlake (Dallas), Childress, Amarillo, and Trinidad. For the trip to Denver, it estimates 15:35 driving time and 2:19 charging time. Charging time for the return trip is actually a few minutes less due to driving 'downhill'. (Total estimated energy required: 220.7 and 203.6kWh respectively.) That is a drive-to-charge ratio of about 7.5:1. Not quite as good as my Portland-San Jose example - which was more like 11:1, but still pretty good. And on a long trip like that it isn't healthy to 'shotgun' it anyway. One really needs to walk around a bit every few hours to help stay alert and avoid circulatory problems.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:58 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

A fairly direct route between Houston and, say, Denver is 1033 miles. Playing a bit with evtripplanner, the exact same route can easily be done in a TM3LR with four Supercharging stops: Southlake (Dallas), Childress, Amarillo, and Trinidad. For the trip to Denver, it estimates 15:35 driving time and 2:19 charging time. Charging time for the return trip is actually a few minutes less due to driving 'downhill'. (Total estimated energy required: 220.7 and 203.6kWh respectively.) That is a drive-to-charge ratio of about 7.5:1. Not quite as good as my Portland-San Jose example - which was more like 11:1, but still pretty good. And on a long trip like that it isn't healthy to 'shotgun' it anyway. One really needs to walk around a bit every few hours to help stay alert and avoid circulatory problems.
I'm not that familiar with EVTripplanner. I used Tesla's site and they gave me the information i posted above. When I went to EVTripplanner and clicked on "Route through superchargers" it gave me essentially the same route. It did not take me through Amarillo but rather north through Kansas. And that showed a total of 13 supercharger stops and a total charge time of over 5 hours and a total trip time of 22 hours plus. Which as I said is quite a bit more than what we can do it in.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:26 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

EV’s are slower than gas cars if you want to iron butt - and gas cars have more flexibility on route choice - fact!

take a gas car if you must minimized time and distance.

however for the 1 or 2 family road trips a year and EV can be just as effective with only minor changes in style and a little bit of planning (see related post road tripping a Model X where I did 1820 mile this past summer with very little impact because of charging) - and over time this is going to get better not worse...but yeah iron butting is the one area in which ICE’s shine - and the recharge times make all EV owners jealous due to the extraordinarily high energy density of gasoline and the virtually unlimited transfer rate.

focusing on that aspect however optimizes for the less than 1% use case vs the 98% use case of driving less than 50 miles/day in 12 mph traffic where that glorious energy density is turned into heat and pollution for a terrible conversion rate to 12 mph motion in commute traffic or around town driving.

we don’t have to go 100% EV - a perfect mix is a full EV for daily driving needs and the occasional longer 1 fast-charger trip along with a plug in hybrid like the cayenne with 50 miles EV range and a gas motor for the iron butt road trip or the 5 days a year you drive more than 50 miles - the reduction in gas consumption would be close to 90% less gasoline over the course of a year and no compromises approach in terms of the occasional longer distance trip...best of both worlds, no compromises dramatic reduction in emissions and great energy efficiency - an no more pollution while idling and fewer trips to the gas station (charge at home hybrid).

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 09-24-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:42 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

I'm not that familiar with EVTripplanner. I used Tesla's site and they gave me the information i posted above. When I went to EVTripplanner and clicked on "Route through superchargers" it gave me essentially the same route. It did not take me through Amarillo but rather north through Kansas. And that showed a total of 13 supercharger stops and a total charge time of over 5 hours and a total trip time of 22 hours plus. Which as I said is quite a bit more than what we can do it in.
You have to play with it a bit as the routing algorithm weighs interstates much more highly than two-lane roads. Click on "Route Direct" rather than "Route Thru Superchargers". It takes the shortcut along U.S. 287 between Dallas and Amarillo - with the Childress Supercharger conveniently placed right between the two. Then it takes U.S. 385 to Dalhart, and U.S. 87 to Raton, NM. Click on the various Supercharger sites along the way and click "Charge Here" for each. (Also be sure to set the "EV Model" to "Tesla Model 3 Long Range (80kWh)".) Then click on the "Steps" tab to see the various individual stops and how long you'd need to charge at each one.

If I were doing the trip, I'd probably take a side trip to the Shamrock Supercharger just because it is Shamrock, and is a fun place to take photos of the station. (I visited there last year while following "Route 66"/I-40.)
Old 09-24-2018, 01:16 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
we don’t have to go 100% EV - a perfect mix is a full EV for daily driving needs ...
I have no argument with that. The problem is that the EV development's objective was all along to remove ICE and fast, by governmental ordination. And that, I am not in favor.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:52 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ADias
I have no argument with that. The problem is that the EV development's objective was all along to remove ICE and fast, by governmental ordination. And that, I am not in favor.
I'm not in favor of the anti-ICE politics of the political left either. But frankly I'm done with ICE problems and their multi-thousand dollar repair bills. (Was facing a _huge_ repair bill on the MB I traded in for the Model 3. It is Elons problem now - though it has probably already hit the auto auctions.) I really like the tech, driveability, and economics of EVs. I'll keep my old ICE two-seaters around for occasional weekend toys. But the vast majority of our daily driving is now unalterably EV (or in the case of our Volt, PHEV.) I see no reason to ever go back to pure ICE.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:36 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

But frankly I'm done with ICE problems and their multi-thousand dollar repair bills. (Was facing a _huge_ repair bill on the MB I traded in for the Model 3. It is Elons problem now - though it has probably already hit the auto auctions.) I really like the tech, driveability, and economics of EVs. I'll keep my old ICE two-seaters around for occasional weekend toys. But the vast majority of our daily driving is now unalterably EV (or in the case of our Volt, PHEV.) I see no reason to ever go back to pure ICE.
I see the surface logic but caution that the expectation of low cost maintenance and reliability will likely prove very disappointing. EV's are very far from simple and aside from the core drive-train components of an ICE (engine, trans, transfer case , differential) and EV contains just as many of the same cooling system, suspension, braking, steering , electrical , hvac components etc.

Furthermore, unlike an ICE car where most of the core drive-train components can be repaired many of the current EV vehicles feature massive , sealed non serviceable drive-train " modules " that are likely to be prohibitively expensive to replace and I'm not even talking about the battery which could be prone to all sorts of post warranty issues that could make replacing an ICE engine component seem almost like it was free.

Quick Reply: OT - Walter Rohrl not a fan of electric cars