Sponsored by:

OT - Walter Rohrl not a fan of electric cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 01:06 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

walter's interview word for word

Walter Röhrl: The TV was on, but I wasn’t really watching, and I heard this sound. It sounded like a golf cart, you know, on a golf course, but then I realised ‘Hey, that’s Formula E’. Great, exactly what I need!

Of course I switched the TV off right away. That’s all I have to say about Formula E. I’m just not interested. EV racing is BORING to watch -

Even if Porsche were to win, I couldn’t be bothered.
he's right - EV's lack the visceral sound of ICE race cars - I doubt they will ever replace that - the lack of sound and the change in sound is soooo much a part of the sport I doubt it will ever be the same - he is 110% correct that EV racing lacks visceral feedback and that is a loss of a sort.

WR: Well if you ask me, the very idea of making a racing car just for racing through cities is ludicrous.

What they should do is, they should drive on a racing circuit and make some great sound. That would tell me that I’m at racetrack and not at some kind of event for the blind [he meant ‘deaf’].
so he thinks the Monaco grand prix is "ludicrous" (cause ya'know that's a race through a city - and he wants a great "sound" which EV's will never deliver - got it - we've established that- a lot of people are going to miss the sound of ICE exhaust.

WR: Well, you know, I don’t want to get into trouble. You’ll never hear me say that electric cars are great.

What I say is the future of electric motoring will be in the cities.

If you ask me, driving a car is about getting in and going on an 800km trip, and electric cars can never be a solution to that.

Also, they’re a disaster in environmental terms.
he's right EV's are great for cities - he is factually wrong about being able to drive 800 km - I do it all the time - but the equation changes for german autobahns as Pete has pointed out - but that's just a matter of more/faster chargers and slight increases in LiON energy density

Walter has _NO_ basis to claim EV's are an environmental disaster, and since EV's share 98% of the parts with an ICE car, he must mean the battery - and it's well refuted that LiON production impact is still far less than the existing fossil fuel industry's impact. Again opinion not fact. Also he's ignoring the impact to produce and dispose of an ICE powerplant and all the waste they produce during their life space. EV's motors are made of highly recyclable and reclaimable materials (steels, magnets, and copper, and metal alloy's not tainted by fossil fuel contamination). If you are to claim EV's are an environmental disaster you have to justify it vs. the existing ICE car and it's environmental impact.

WR: Exactly. And by the way, there’ll never be enough raw materials.

I’m shocked at what all those politicians are saying. They say that electric cars are a winner, but they haven’t got a clue what they’re talking about.

But now everyone is running in that direction, ignoring the development of fuel cells, the development of ICEs, the development of synthetic fuels, which would be the future, if you ask me.
never be enough raw materials for what? Again 98% of an EV uses the same raw materials as a gas car, again the battery - and battery materials and their sources are being discovered and increased - just like the fossil fuel industry we'll find it when we go looking for it. Fuel cells are pointless 50% efficient from the hydrogen (which by the way drives an eV motor) but the raw energy needed to produce the hydrogen is greater than if you just used it in the battery to begin with - and commercial scale sources of hydrogen do NOT use water, they chemically crack methane to release the same CO2 and GHG's we're trying to avoid. Synthetic fuels still won't change the fact explosions to produce motion in an ICE style engine are at most 20-25% efficient. So fine we produce synthetic fuels, it will still be MORE efficient to burn those fuels to produce electricity and then use that electricity in a 90-95% efficient EV motor…

Walter doesn't like EV's or their lack of sound - and he's 100% right.

but that doesn't mean:

1. EV are not more efficient and fuel consumption per mile
2. his eco-credentials are shaky to say the least
3. that EV's aren't 90-05% efficient at converting power to motion

he's right - they don't make as much sound, and we have to find new sources of materials to make the batteries - but he 100% misses the point about EV and the push for greater fuel efficiency.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:15 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

This is a thread where I was hoping to build upon the blatantly truthful statements of a Porsche employee who like me and many others DO NOT like EV’s
and by the way Walter's statements are not supported by _ANY_ facts. They are definitely bluntly truthful statements that represent Walter's opinions, but they are far from facts...

the ONLY fact for which he is correct is that watching EV racing is boring and lacks the visceral sound - the rest is opinion which he is entitled to, and you're entitled to the same opinion, but it's not defensible with any analysis if the goal is to increase fuel efficiency per mile and reduce overall emissions.

You were hoping to post a thread by someone who shares your opinions about EV's, but let's not confuse those opinions with facts about EV's.

these are in fact Walter's opinion, and he's allowed to hate EV's as are you, but you don't get to claim your hatred of EV's rooted in any facts regarding the matter, because when we discuss the facts you give up.

great you have your own #metoo thread where you and Walter (and other's hate EV's) I get that and you're entitled to that hatred - go on hate them, don't buy them, watch Tesla go out of business (you are most likely correct on that front as well) - that is your right and one that I 100% acknowledge you are allowed to hate EV's all day long - please do....

but that doesn't mean EV don't work and can't ever work - because they do and they will continue to work and there are going to be more of them in the future not less.

but let's not confuse that hatred for EV's with any actual factual basis for that hatred - as far as I can tell there are only a few things to "hate" about an EV - and those are surmountable problems or fractional use cases:

1. batteries are tricky tech we'll have to keep working to get these suckers under control for the full life cycle
2. a lot of people will deeply miss the sound of a really really nice exhaust - probably never going to be the same - no foreseeable solution for this - unless you go full synthetic sound
3. long distance travel with existing "fast charging" networks don't match ICE for speed
4. weight and it's impact on handling is a fading issue
5. they really only work in developed countries with strong electrical grid infrastructure
6. you're not going to go "off grid" with an EV like you can with a 4x4 and a trailier of jerry-cans full of gasoline

but really honestly this thread is about you finding someone who shares your unfounded opinions about EV's and you're upset that that facts don't agree with your perspective.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 09-23-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:19 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 416 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
...Now there are kickers for the EV that make it even better:
  1. I didn't factor in the 6 kWh of power used to make 1 gallon of fuel - don't refine the gasoline you have 6 kWh "extra" grid capacity to play with
  2. EV's don't have to be powered by fossil fuels - they can be powered by zero-emission power plants which actually exist on a commercial scale and there are more every day
  3. the EV doesn't consume oil and fluids and need servicing every 5000 miles like a ICE car
And:
4.) Regenerative braking means that much of your kinetic energy can get converted back into electricity, and back into the battery for reuse - rather than getting burned off as heat from the friction brakes. The brakes last 'forever' compared to ICE vehicles. Side effect: Less brake dust to clean off your shiny wheels too!
Old 09-23-2018, 01:34 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
and by the way Walter's statements are not supported by _ANY_ facts. They are definitely bluntly truthful statements that represent Walter's opinions, but they are far from facts...

the ONLY fact for which he is correct is that watching EV racing is boring and lacks the visceral sound.

You were hoping to post a thread by someone who shares your opinions about EV's, but let's not confuse those opinions with facts about EV's.

these are in fact Walter's opinion, and he's allowed to hate EV as are you, but you don't get to claim your hatred of EV's rooted in any facts regarding the matter, because when we discuss the facts you give up.

My god man you are impossible, did I at any point in that post write the word “ facts “ ? I wrote the word “statements“ which according to my mental dictionary IS NOT the same.

Your interjecting your own words and then using them as bait to provoke an argument where you begin unloading your version of facts , or at least the facts that you believe to be true.

Unless your profession involves holding multiple high level positions in the battery technology industry , power generation industry and the alternative fuel side of the transportation / autmotive industry , you have no real place arguing with facts that were presented to you with no real ability to refute them.

Your abilty to distort reality and run with it is uncanny. If you aren’t already an attorney I would suggest you look into it as you’ve missed your true calling.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:39 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

ahhh so you agree with Walter's opions, which you admit are completely lacking any factual context.

i don't consider that "truth" - I consider that opinion, it's factually Walter's opinion, but his opinion lacks any factual basis.

he hates EV's, always will, and so will you. got it!

this is a thread for the EV haters club, no facts allowed...

please continue to hate on EV's....but don't make any factually incorrect statements - I'll correct those

fact #1: Gasoline has a higher energy density per weight/volume that LiON batteries (and most anything else in the universe)
fact #2: EV's are more efficient with fuel per mile driven
fact #3: ICE's make glorious sound - EV's far less so (unless you like road noise and wind noise which I don't very much)
fact #4: EV racing is boring and lacks visceral feedback and engagement
fact #5: there are more EV' s in the future not fewer
fact #6: Walter hates EV's
fact #7: some people on this thread agree with Walter - they hate EV's
fact #8: Gasoline's superior energy density has nothing to do with efficiency as measured by MPG
fact #9: EV haters on this forum find discussion about consumption metrics and ratios to be harshing their buzz of their EV hatred and prefer to agree with Walter on pure feeling
fact #10: when presented with analysis about EV consumption metrics the data is labeled as propaganda and skewed math, but no counter examples are provided or a discussion about what actual math is incorrect.

I love EV's and ICE's - and feel both have a role in our future - but some people hate EV's and they confuse their hatred with a factual basis to hate EV's which I find confusing, and thought that if I were to point out the where they are factually wrong they might reconsider their position, but pure hatred is rarely sway'd by facts or analysis because it's an emotional investment...it explains a lot.

please continue hating on EV's...you are obviously heavily invested in that position, but please don't label me as skewed or wrong or stupid or a sheep for following propganda - because on that you are simply wrong. But you are not wrong that you hate EV's, in that you are 100% right.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:01 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

@whiz944, @@Petevb and @Fredrik Svane thanks for your help - but it's not necessary - I didn't get the memo that this is a pure emotional hate on EV thread. It's a fact free zone - unless the facts are uncorrelated with any desired outcome...

we can move on - it's a pure EV hater's thread in the Porsche EV forum - we don't need to respond since we are all propagandist and part of the problem.

my apologies - I thought this was a discussion....

please continue agreeing with Walter - EV's are evil, they are the devil, and ICE cars have environmental impact up until now and therefore why improve on perfection, and continuing to burn fossil fuels has had no impact to date and will continue to have zero impact on the planet and it's environment...therefore EV's have no reason to exist, and this whole EV thing is liberal nonsense....pure opinion which can't be disputed in any circumstance...

it's so clear now - wow I was soooo wrong

this thread is for people that agree EV's suck and have no reason to exist - and Walter is their leader, a blunt truthful representative of this faction of society.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:10 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

IMHO - it is a shame that hybrid/electrified drive trains were hyped by the anti-gas/anti-car tree huggers first. There are a lot of concepts and opportunities there for high performance cars and drivers as well. We just have to open our eyes to the new possibilities.

Also - not all "Walters" are anti-EV.

A different Walter.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:33 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Your so called facts are nothing more than what you’ve read from someone else and without first hand experience you possess absolutely no right to tout them as absolute.

You can’t even accurately present what a gallon of actually gasoline weighs. Unless you physically went out and weighed it yourself , your just relying on internet data from various sources which has many varying degrees of accuracy in itself. This same data is what I bet your usuing to base most of your EV propaganda on.

You have an issue with the word propaganda so let’s use the Webster dictionary to define exactly
what your doing :

“information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.”

I could sit here all day posting articles
with counter arguments , math and charts to oppose everything your posting, but it’s not going to matter and you’ve likely already read most of them and disregarded them as they contradict your own personal opinion that your of course entitled to have but not to forcefully push on others.

The only things you can truly stand behind are the facts that you yourself have gathered which aside from some data on your own driving is really limited to that.

You also have absolutely no right to decide what parts of Walters statements are facts or opinion because unless you ask him directly you possess abolsutely no ability to determine which of those statements are based in fact vs opinion.

Given his 20 years at Porsche and decades in the industry I’d say that there is more fact based statement in his interview than you would care to realize.

Also when presented with the statements of a person with real world practical experience and decades of automotive product development knowledge over that of an arrogant internet fact shooter who believes it’s his mission to covert the unfaithful , well you already know who’s side I take here....

I hate EV’s today for the same reason I hated them as a kid playing with an electric remote controlled car. The play time was limted , the recharging was inconvient especially when playing at a park away from a charger and the cost and management of the extra batteries was equally annoying.

Switching to a gas R/C car was the best day of my life as a child and even then I realized that more energy was stored in that small tank of fuel than in that big heavy bulky battery pack.

EVs today are no different than my experience as a child and until that improves dramatically I will continue to avoid them.

I form my opinions carefully and based on my experiences rather than the opinions and facts presented by others. I have never discounted anything without trying it first. Seeing for once on this biased EV car forum someone who’s opinions parelleled mine was refreshing and I sought to find others who may have felt the same.

Instead, I found the same gang of EV crusaders....

Old 09-23-2018, 02:37 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

It's extraordinary that in a forum of, supposedly, car enthusiasts, people focus on the details of fuel efficiencies, fueling/charging times, etc. all to justify their bent towards a freedom limiting technology. The question really is: what if tomorrow is the last drive of your life, which car would you drive on a fabulous canyon drive? An electric car or a gas-powered 911?

We all know what Walter Rohrl would drive.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:18 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ADias
It's extraordinary that in a forum of, supposedly, car enthusiasts, people focus on the details of fuel efficiencies, fueling/charging times, etc. all to justify their bent towards a freedom limiting technology.
It is frustrating to see so many misconceptions about plug-in cars. Just trying to set the record straight.

The question really is: what if tomorrow is the last drive of your life, which car would you drive on a fabulous canyon drive? An electric car or a gas-powered 911?
As a Porsche owner for the past 31 years, and a "day 1" subscriber to rennlist (initially called porschelist back then), I can certainly see the appeal of the 911. OTOH I can tell you from experience, a four-door Model 3 family sedan is nothing to sneeze at up in the mountain twisties. (Note: I live one mile from the foot of the Santa Cruz mountains. So I've driven those roads a lot over the years.) But my last drive? Might not be either one.

We all know what Walter Rohrl would drive.
And he would be well within his rights to do so.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:38 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by whiz944
It is frustrating to see so many misconceptions about plug-in cars. Just trying to set the record straight.

As a Porsche owner for the past 31 years, and a "day 1" subscriber to rennlist (initially called porschelist back then), I can certainly see the appeal of the 911. OTOH I can tell you from experience, a four-door Model 3 family sedan is nothing to sneeze at up in the mountain twisties. (Note: I live one mile from the foot of the Santa Cruz mountains. So I've driven those roads a lot over the years.) But my last drive? Might not be either one.

And he would be well within his rights to do so.
Replace '911' in my post with any gas-powered car you like to drive on a demanding twisty road and I have no argument.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:41 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

So you are objecting to my research but will not assert that a gallon of gas does not weigh 6.073 http://science.answers.com/Q/How_muc...gasoline_weigh

What are your alternate facts - please educate us as to how much a gallon of gas weighs - and therefore how many gallons are in 1100 lbs.
please educate me as to why the panamera doesn’t get 28 mpg

you keep claiming I’m making stuff up but do not present any alternative data.

the math is simple - even you could do it...

please tell me me where my numbers are wrong - I’d love to see you information sources

and if you can claim I don’t know what I’m talking about then I can claim neither does Walter

you cant dispute my data, but it’s clear you don’t like it.

ive laid my analysis bare and shown my work - it’s up to you to factually disputed it with evidence. And using the internet to find cross referenced and multi sourced data is not called making things up - it’s called research and it’s how information and analysis is done - a very different approach than unfounded opinion.

go on show us your work on EV efficiency...I’ll wait. How many miles can you drive an EV with your data? We will all wait...
Old 09-23-2018, 03:49 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I am open to anyone presenting alternate factual data regarding ICE and EV consumption rates per-mile - and the conversion rates of various forms of chemical energy…

and at the end of the day none of us have first hand experience without relying on the research of others, that's why sources of information and references and x-referencing it required...

we for example don't even know if Walter actually hates EV's and gave that interview - cause a'know we've only seen it on the internet...

I welcome refutation of the efficiency analysis with information sources - there aren't that many pieces of data that I'm relying on and therefore it should be easy to prove I'm full of it - you can even use the internet if you like.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:55 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I could sit here all day posting articles
with counter arguments , math and charts to oppose everything your posting, but it’s not going to matter and you’ve likely already read most of them and disregarded them as they contradict your own personal opinion that your of course entitled to have but not to forcefully push on others.
but you haven't posted single fact or chart have you - you've just kept saying gasoline is more energy dense than LiON...which has no bearing on miles driven per gallon.

but then you'll have to deal with how to power your gas car with nothing but wind/solar/nuclear/geo-thermal/hydro - all of which are zero emission power sources

the EV is superior in fuel efficiency (again fuel density doesn't matter) and is multi-source - it can run on ANYTHING that produces electricity. Those are indisputable facts, not propaganda.

please post your data and analysis regarding ICE vs EV fuel efficiency per-mile driven...I'd love to see it - you're even welcome to use the internet to find your own propaganda.

The only things you can truly stand behind are the facts that you yourself have researched which aside from some data on your own driving is really limited to that.
there I fixed it for you

arrogant internet fact shooter who believes it’s his mission to covert the unfaithful , well you already know who’s side I take here....
great so you acknowledge that my data is factual and accurate

I hate EV’s today for the same reason I hated them as a kid playing with an electric remote controlled car. The play time was limted , the recharging was inconvient especially when playing at a park away from a charger and the cost and management of the extra batteries was equally annoying.
cause a'know an EV with 310 miles range runs out of energy every day in your usage, cause you always drive more than 300 miles a day…

​​​​​​​I form my opinions carefully and based on my experiences rather than the opinions and facts presented by others. I have never discounted anything without trying it first. Seeing for once on this biased EV car forum someone who’s opinions parelleled mine was refreshing and I sought to find others who may have felt the same.
so you are fact immune - that doesn't make me wrong, it simply makes you impossible to have a conversation with.

you hate EV's - full stop - for no factual reason other than recharge time - which factually won't impact you 99.9% of the time. And will cost you less to drive per-mile.

I'm arguing facts, and you're arguing opinion - your and Walter's opinion is that eV's suck - my opinion is that you don't understand the facts and therefore your opinion is at best - misinformed.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:56 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I'd drive the 911 or any sports car

if I had to go to work I'd take the EV for the car pool sticker and greater efficiency

for the track I take my GT3

for 1 million cars in down town LA we'd all prefer the EV's for massive reduction in air pollution

these two techologies can co-exist, but tearing them down based on in correct factual information is no one's interest.

Quick Reply: OT - Walter Rohrl not a fan of electric cars