Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my deposit back...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 12:10 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 1,758 Posts

+1 unclewill- I've been looking for the past 2 months for a non-Tesla EV that one can actually purchase…gotta find a replacement for my expiring car-pool sticker

nada - zip - zilch

the eTron seems decent as does the iPace - kudos to both companies when they actually ship a unit to be sold - which in both cases seems some ways out

I watched the Audi announcement last night several things were apparent from my perspective
  1. the stench from Diesel gate loomed large - this company is desperate to make us believe they care
  2. Tesla loomed large - audience filled with dealers - they were saying to them we're going to stop the bleeding of your sedan sales to Tesla
  3. charging network is still vaporware and under spec'd - minor shift from xxx hundred in place by June 2019 to xxx hundred or underdevelopment by June 2019
    1. does "under development mean "I wish I may I wish I might we'd really like a charging station at this site!" - or does it mean ground broken on construction and agreements signed - just waiting to be finished.
    2. very very unclear "mix" of L2 and DCFast - will it actually work
    3. gonna charge for it - but you get 1000 kWh free over 4 years (10 fill ups essentially - better than a poke in the eye) - no pricing disclosed
  4. Price is in the Porsche forum category, but far from affordable
  5. very very light on details about the actual car - is there a frunk - what are the options?
  6. the drank the koolaid about the design advantages of an EV that I saw 12 years ago in another presentation (i.e. when you don't have a ICE engine to feed or locate you can do thing differently)
  7. our stealer network is our competitive advantage and we're going to leverage that - hmmm we'll see how that plays out - I wonder if the stealer networks understand the reduction in service revenue associated with an EV?
  8. audible groan on the youTube feed when they mentioned Q2'19 for availability in the US…
as I've said many many times I seriously welcome some competition to Tesla - no matter how much I like my Teslas I also recognize their short comings as a company and really really want to have some choices for my EV dollar…and while competition is coming - it's arrival date is still a bit delay'd - and we'll have to see if when it does arrive if it's in quantities that are impressive, or quantities that even Tesla could manufacture on a weekly basis…I'm going to guess the latter rather than the former…

it appears we have at least 6-9 months of the only 3 available choices for an EV are:
  1. Tesla
  2. Chevy Bolt
  3. Nissan Leaf
everyone else is in the "coming soon" category for some loose definition of "soon"…

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 09-18-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:19 PM
Hansel
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

There looked to be a frunk at the end of the presentation when the crowed was up on stage looking over the car, the hood was up and someone lifted a plastic cover over it.

Q2'19 is disappointing, was hoping for this fall. I thought I read yesterday the factory in Brussels is putting out about 200 cars per week, sorry I don't remember the source.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:24 PM
unclewill
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
everyone else is in the "coming soon" category for some loose definition of "soon"…
The EQC dog and pony show was my favorite - don’t actually release your new EV SUV first, just announce it first to upstage Audi!

Tesla has the major OEMs steppin and fetchin and it’s quite entertaining to watch!
Old 09-18-2018, 01:40 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by unclewill

What a friggin joke! Wired magazine is currently running a “comparison” between new EVs in a “suddenly crowded marketplace” - except there are none (but Tesla, Bolt, Leaf) available, and details are thin from the major OEMs. Tesla got unending sh*t for taking deposits on cars that don’t exist but the press seems to think it’s AOK for Audi et al.
Like I told the Porsche dealer - call me when you have a car on the lot...

I am looking forward to having lots of choices but we ain’t even close yet.
Publications are getting sketchier and sketchier these days. Everyone rushes to be first to report the "news".

Old 09-18-2018, 01:45 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

+1 unclewill- I've been looking for the past 2 months for a non-Tesla EV that one can actually purchase…gotta find a replacement for my expiring car-pool sticker

nada - zip - zilch

the eTron seems decent as does the iPace - kudos to both companies when they actually ship a unit to be sold - which in both cases seems some ways out

I watched the Audi announcement last night several things were apparent from my perspective
  1. the stench from Diesel gate loomed large - this company is desperate to make us believe they care
  2. Tesla loomed large - audience filled with dealers - they were saying to them we're going to stop the bleeding of your sedan sales to Tesla
  3. charging network is still vaporware and under spec'd - minor shift from xxx hundred in place by June 2019 to xxx hundred or underdevelopment by June 2019
    1. does "under development mean "I wish I may I wish I might we'd really like a charging station at this site!" - or does it mean ground broken on construction and agreements signed - just waiting to be finished.
    2. very very unclear "mix" of L2 and DCFast - will it actually work
    3. gonna charge for it - but you get 1000 kWh free over 4 years (10 fill ups essentially - better than a poke in the eye) - no pricing disclosed
  4. Price is in the Porsche forum category, but far from affordable
  5. very very light on details about the actual car - is there a frunk - what are the options?
  6. the drank the koolaid about the design advantages of an EV that I saw 12 years ago in another presentation (i.e. when you don't have a ICE engine to feed or locate you can do thing differently)
  7. our stealer network is our competitive advantage and we're going to leverage that - hmmm we'll see how that plays out - I wonder if the stealer networks understand the reduction in service revenue associated with an EV?
  8. audible groan on the youTube feed when they mentioned Q2'19 for availability in the US…
as I've said many many times I seriously welcome some competition to Tesla - no matter how much I like my Teslas I also recognize their short comings as a company and really really want to have some choices for my EV dollar…and while competition is coming - it's arrival date is still a bit delay'd - and we'll have to see if when it does arrive if it's in quantities that are impressive, or quantities that even Tesla could manufacture on a weekly basis…I'm going to guess the latter rather than the former…

it appears we have at least 6-9 months of the only 3 available choices for an EV are:
  1. Tesla
  2. Chevy Bolt
  3. Nissan Leaf
Thank you for providing a fair and balanced view as a current Tesla owner. So refreshing! (Tesla owners can be up there with Vegans and Crossfitters in their self-righteousness sometimes). You're right, it's coming....but not yet. So close though, and very exciting if you are a fan of EV's. Personally, my GTI lease has another 14 months (or is it 16 I forget) to run so I can afford to be patient. Plus EV's offer no commuting benefits where I live.

Also, I agree with one point. The "flexibility" afforded by the non-ICE powertrain has yet to significantly materialize in some of these EV's. Tesla makes decent use with the larger frunk. IMO, the i3 makes the most of it.

Originally Posted by Hansel
There looked to be a frunk at the end of the presentation when the crowed was up on stage looking over the car, the hood was up and someone lifted a plastic cover over it.

Q2'19 is disappointing, was hoping for this fall. I thought I read yesterday the factory in Brussels is putting out about 200 cars per week, sorry I don't remember the source.
There is a Frunk. I saw it in the Autogefuhl review video. Unfortunately someone turned out the lights in the studio while they were filming so not that great of a view. It looks pretty small.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:57 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 415 Likes on 284 Posts

...it appears we have at least 6-9 months of the only 3 available choices for an EV are:
  1. Tesla
  2. Chevy Bolt
  3. Nissan Leaf
If you are including the Leaf, you might also add the i3 and a couple of the Koreans to the list. Though the Koreans don't seem to be getting a lot of battery supply from their buddies at LG and Samsung either. I'd imagine BMW is looking to unload a lot of unsold i3s right now.

Bolt EV is a decent driving car. But even the Premium version interior is definitely lower end GM. They should have done a more upscale Buick version. (Cadillac seems to have no clue when it comes to electrified vehicles. The ELR was great looker, but a sales disaster because they thought they could price it in Tesla territory. The new CT6 PHEV isn't doing very well either.)
Old 09-18-2018, 07:25 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Disappointing news here, as I loved original design.

Regarding Audi, VW was ordered to build out 2 billion on charging stations in US. Stations will be ubiquitous in a couple of years.

Although Etron is underwhelming, they will get it up and running in spring, but name Etron in French means “ turd” lol.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:08 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Own a Bolt -it's the kid's car - works great - a nifty car - Chevy is to be commended for that car - don't like the driver's front seat it's uncomfortable for me and I don't want to own a 2nd one - but can highly recommend the Bolt to anyone considering an EV...
Old 09-18-2018, 08:28 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

halarlious conversation with Jaguar San Jose

Me: Hello I'd like to buy a car!
Them: great - what are you looking for?
Me: Jaguar iPace
Them: ummmmmmmmmmmm - that's gonna be difficult
Me: when could you provide me with me - I have cash money
Them: we really don't know, but probably March or April - maybe
Me: nothing sooner?
Them: there are a few coming in late October or November but they are allocated, but if someone drops their order you might be able to get one of those
Me: great here is my name and number
them: ok - but yeah that car's going to be very difficult to source for quite sometime - we'd be happy to sell you another car we have on the lot
Me: I only want a car with a car pool sticker
Them: well that's harder, if you want that I really think you're going to have to look some place else, we won't have any product for that for quite some time....
Me: ok thank you.

yeah - Tesla has lots of competition - tons and tons of competion..
Old 09-18-2018, 08:40 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

I just picked up a new Leaf a couple of weeks ago as an extra car. We use it for our Au Pair, parking at the airport, and I will drive it to work during our hail storm season.

We managed to pick it up for $17k.

$35,500k
-$7500 federal
-$5000 state
-$6000 from Nissan and the dealer

It's nothing exciting but it at least has 150mi range which is plenty for what we are using it for. Also, the one pedal driving is the best I've seen in any EV. It will completely stop the car even on a hill and hold it without touching the brake.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:22 AM
usafakid09
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I put a deposit on the E-tron. I don't need two sports cars. And since I am moving to Colorado in April, I think the E-Tron will be better suited to take me snowboarding (hopefully). E-Tron looks nice but we will see how this roll out goes. I hope it's not like the I-Pace. I was going to get one since I am in LA at the moment and got the same response as daveo4porsche. So I went with a Fuel Cell to get my carpool sticker. I just hope Colorado keeps that $5k rebate for next year.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:56 AM
unclewill
Racer

Another note from my Porsche refund experience:
The sales manager, in order to remove me from the Mission E list, produced his “book of lists” - literally a notebook full of lists organized by model with each slot secured by a $1000 deposit. I bet there were 200+ names in that book, there were 80 on the Mission E list alone!
Porsche’s may be great cars but c’mon, the dealer is collecting interest on a quarter million dollar slush fund of deposits? The manager said most people on these lists will eventually get the deposits refunded because they aren’t allocated enough cars to meet demand. A salesman suggested I resell my Mission E for a profit since other dealers want “$30,000 over sticker for them.”
It will be cold day in h*ll before I give a penny to another car dealership/manufacturer that operates in this way. Maybe those with piles of cash don’t mind giving dealers welfare checks, but not me. And I don’t resell cars in order to gouge my neighbors either.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:08 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Thank you for providing a fair and balanced view as a current Tesla owner. So refreshing! (Tesla owners can be up there with Vegans and Crossfitters in their self-righteousness sometimes). You're right, it's coming....but not yet. So close though, and very exciting if you are a fan of EV's. Personally, my GTI lease has another 14 months (or is it 16 I forget) to run so I can afford to be patient. Plus EV's offer no commuting benefits where I live.

Also, I agree with one point. The "flexibility" afforded by the non-ICE powertrain has yet to significantly materialize in some of these EV's. Tesla makes decent use with the larger frunk. IMO, the i3 makes the most of it.There is a Frunk. I saw it in the Autogefuhl review video. Unfortunately someone turned out the lights in the studio while they were filming so not that great of a view. It looks pretty small.
Just watched another Autogefuhl video and the ETron frunk is slightly bigger than I thought. Turns out under the cables they have a tray of fixaflat and if you take out, it's about deep enough for a briefcase to stand upright. Not bad.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:14 PM
unclewill
Racer

A more significant reveal for VW group:

https://electrek.co/2018/09/18/vw-me...ffordable-evs/
Old 09-19-2018, 10:16 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 415 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by unclewill
... A salesman suggested I resell my Mission E for a profit since other dealers want “$30,000 over sticker for them.”...
Yet another reason why dealers suck.

Quick Reply: Just got my deposit back...