Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my deposit back...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 06:44 PM
Centx
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you look at the most recent spy shots, it is much closer to the mission e than a Panamera. The biggest differences are no suicide doors, side mirrors, less dramatic wheel arches and there is now an actual hatch back door evident, all things you had to expect.. It is very different than a Panamera. Much more sloped roof line, almost identical to Mission e. Front end much lower, same as e. Headlights including vents and taillights seem same as e. The height will be close to a 911, while the Panamera is substantially taller. Panamera is a good looking car now and I think this will look much better and sportier.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:06 PM
drewzMMM
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Centx
If you look at the most recent spy shots, it is much closer to the mission e than a Panamera. The biggest differences are no suicide doors, side mirrors, less dramatic wheel arches and there is now an actual hatch back door evident, all things you had to expect.. It is very different than a Panamera. Much more sloped roof line, almost identical to Mission e. Front end much lower, same as e. Headlights including vents and taillights seem same as e. The height will be close to a 911, while the Panamera is substantially taller. Panamera is a good looking car now and I think this will look much better and sportier.
Agreed, and I still don't think those mules are going to represent the final Taycan
Old 10-01-2018, 10:14 PM
cluster_fsck
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drewzMMM
Agreed, and I still don't think those mules are going to represent the final Taycan
I agree with you - I don’t think Porsche is ready to tip their hand just yet. They’ve stated that they’ve built 100 test cars, which are basically the same cars we keep seeing with some minor modifications. Porsche knows how much is riding on the Taycan and how much of a deep impression the Mission E prototype made on all of us.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:30 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

They need to deliver in either the looks or the performance department to get my money. Both would be preferred.

The Mission E is one of my all time favorite concepts and I would love to see the final car look as close as possible. If it's going to look like a baby Panamera, it will still be a great looking car, but then it's needs to offer something else like 911 performance on the track.

If they don't deliver I still would consider buying an electric Porsche in the future, but I will end up taking my time and consider other brands. This is my daily driver not some exclusive weekend toy. It doesn't need to be a Porsche.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:46 PM
Ccpecot
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
They need to deliver in either the looks or the performance department to get my money. Both would be preferred.

The Mission E is one of my all time favorite concepts and I would love to see the final car look as close as possible. If it's going to look like a baby Panamera, it will still be a great looking car, but then it's needs to offer something else like 911 performance on the track.

If they don't deliver I still would consider buying an electric Porsche in the future, but I will end up taking my time and consider other brands. This is my daily driver not some exclusive weekend toy. It doesn't need to be a Porsche.
I hear ya. My wife and I have been on the fence about buying an EV. However, we just aren’t taking the leap right now. By the time we’re ready to buy an EV, the Taycan should be out. I do have confidence that the Taycan will live up to the expectations and it will be in our garage.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:40 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 4pipes
I finally saw the Mission E concept car at Rennsport Reunion this weekend. Great looking but too large for what I’m looking for. I requested my deposit back also. I’ll keep my i3 until there is a longer range replacement for my little car.
The perfect replacement for a BMW i3 is the Jaguar I-Pace. Have a look at that. Definitely smaller footprint than Mission E and the performance is pretty good too and it has nearly 300 miles range.

Last edited by stealthpilot; 10-08-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:54 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
The perfect replacement for a BMW i3 is the Jaguar F-Pace. Have a look at that. Definitely smaller footprint than Mission E and the performance is pretty good too and it has nearly 300 miles range.
Did you mean Jaguar I-Pace?
Old 10-08-2018, 09:34 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by W8MM
Did you mean Jaguar I-Pace?
Yes I-Pace
Old 10-09-2018, 02:21 AM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 415 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
Yes I-Pace
An easy mistake to make. Also odd that the I-Pace has an Electric drive train, yet the E-Pace has an ICE drive train. One has to wonder what the JLR marketing team was thinking.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:08 PM
gstahl
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

First time posting in a long time.. Full disclosure... always a Porsche fan and own and have owned a number of Porsches... Also own 3 year Tesla Model S P85D.

Basically, I would stay far away from a Tesla and will not buy another. I have the pre-tesla design autopilot which works pretty well and the drivetrain (as it is) is awesome... The rest of the car is so disappointing..

13 times in service during the last 3 years, with something always wrong with it. Some of the list (not complete)... Every door handle motor has been replaced at least once, back up camera replaced, main control unit (read main CPU) replaced, auto dim mirror replaced, window motors one replaced and 2 currently not working correctly, brown discoloration around main screen edge, uncomfortable rear seats (kids really do not like them), air suspension sensors repaired, rear tires dangerously worn on inner edge even after 4 alignments in 3 years (yes rear camber is not adjustable but toe is and no one can make it any better). Rattles and creaks always. So it runs great, is very fast but the overall quality is crap.

Also be careful with buying electric vehicles... technology is moving quickly, deprecation is massive. Like I-Pace seems rather expensive (like Porsche will be), be ready for quick deprecation as model 2, 3, 4 all get markedly better (for every make's vehicles)

Basically I am not going to buy a Tesla again, you might get a great one but then again you may not.

my 2 cents.

G
Old 10-09-2018, 11:42 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
halarlious conversation with Jaguar San Jose

Me: Hello I'd like to buy a car!
Them: great - what are you looking for?
Me: Jaguar iPace
Them: ummmmmmmmmmmm - that's gonna be difficult
Me: when could you provide me with me - I have cash money
Them: we really don't know, but probably March or April - maybe
Me: nothing sooner?
Them: there are a few coming in late October or November but they are allocated, but if someone drops their order you might be able to get one of those
Me: great here is my name and number
them: ok - but yeah that car's going to be very difficult to source for quite sometime - we'd be happy to sell you another car we have on the lot
Me: I only want a car with a car pool sticker
Them: well that's harder, if you want that I really think you're going to have to look some place else, we won't have any product for that for quite some time....
Me: ok thank you.

yeah - Tesla has lots of competition - tons and tons of competion..
Well, to be fair, that dealer is TERRIBLE. Like, I love my Range Rover, but will never buy another Land Rover or Jaguar product, just so I don't have to deal with the people who work that shop.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:04 AM
earl pottinger
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Dream dealer

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
halarlious conversation with Jaguar San Jose

Me: Hello I'd like to buy a car!
Them: great - what are you looking for?
Me: Jaguar iPace
Them: ummmmmmmmmmmm - that's gonna be difficult
Me: when could you provide me with me - I have cash money
Them: we really don't know, but probably March or April - maybe
Me: nothing sooner?
Them: there are a few coming in late October or November but they are allocated, but if someone drops their order you might be able to get one of those
Me: great here is my name and number
them: ok - but yeah that car's going to be very difficult to source for quite sometime - we'd be happy to sell you another car we have on the lot
Me: I only want a car with a car pool sticker
Them: well that's harder, if you want that I really think you're going to have to look some place else, we won't have any product for that for quite some time....
Me: ok thank you.

yeah - Tesla has lots of competition - tons and tons of competion..
From my view that dealer was a dream and a honest dealer compared to the GM dealer I had last November.
I called in the afternoon asking if they had a Bolt for sale.
They said yes.
I confirmed I said BOLT not VOLT car.
They said yes, we have a Bolt.
Arrived next morning.
NO BOLT.
Dealer tried to sell me on the Volts they have in stock.
Told dealer no, I want a pure battery car.
Dealer told me I would have to wait over a year for delivery of my car even if I paid 100% up front now.
Told dealer why I needed a 100% battery car so it could charge off my solar panels.
Dealer than starts telling me lies about the range of BEVs and the availability of chargers,
I walked away. And yes I had the cash to paid 100% to get a Bolt if they had one in stock.

The I-Pace dealer was at-least honest from the very start with you, that is far better than the GM dealer I had. An honest dealer I can go back month later and ask again - I on the other hand refuse to ever enter the door of the local GM dealer ever again.

Note: I am in Oshawa Ontario Canada - a major GM town.

Earl Colby Pottinger (Tesla and Bollinger fan)
Old 10-10-2018, 12:29 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 1,757 Posts

my P85D has had far fewer problems than @gstahl - to date my Wife's Boxster has had much more service/problems than any of my Tesla's - so draw what you may as far as conclusions.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:14 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

The only bulletproof vehicles I've ever owned have been Chevy Trucks. Zero problems. 100k+ miles of just routine maintenance and putting gas in them.

Owned many Japanese and German cars and they've all had some issues, VW being the worst of the lot, though our Audi Q7 is challenging our old Touareg for biggest POS of all time. Every make has some stinkers. I bought my Golf R knowing full well it's probably gonna turn into a massive headache at some point.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:32 AM
adie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its scary the speculation thats going around. The HUD mirrors and suicide doors are what caught my eye, I like the panamera style but I dont want one. I also really don't want a car in competition with everyone else. That just gives a stale looking version of what could be a very individual car. No ones going to beat Tesla in inovation for quite some, they are way ahead. Most manufacturers had their hands on a model S in 2012 and have done nothing. 6 years later and the only car beating it is a model 3. I want to see something different, something that isnt competing for tesla/audi/VW/Jaguar orders, I have owned Porsches since I was 18, 30 years later I'm looking for something that turns heads like the roadster did and still does. Thats the car I put my $1000 on the day I was able. I'll wait for the final product before I make any decisions on what to do, it worked for the Roadster owners.

Quick Reply: Just got my deposit back...