Sponsored by:

Taycan / Mission E colors

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 02:37 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpoarchy
Yeah you are right, but I keep reading about tesla and how they have to cool the batteries down because they overheat. I am sure that wouldn't help, but looks cool, yeah just someone dreaming, kinda like I did on the old testarossa posters years ago
All proper EVs use active battery cooling (and heating). However this requires a tiny fraction of the cooling needed in an ICE (which rejects 2/3 of the energy in the fuel as waste heat). Hence the very clean lines on EVs...
Old 10-30-2018, 11:04 AM
lee88
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

Given that the Taycan is being produced on a new, entirely separate production line at Zuffenhausen I would actually guess that PTS or Exclusive options won't be available immediately at launch. I would assume there would be a full color palette and optional premium colors available just like every other Porsche model at launch, and I would anticipate PTS / Exclusive would become available eventually on Taycan. But again just my prediction that Porsche would prioritize getting first production cars out the door in timely manner with usual quality, and not prioritize customization above and beyond regular colors and options.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:06 PM
Cpoarchy
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks for the info, I am really new to Evs as are a lot of people, this might seem like a silly question, I know braking is regenerative and different, I know someone that wears out brakes and I try not to. Will brake maintenance be less?
Old 10-30-2018, 12:12 PM
Cpoarchy
Racer

Lee88, I have never had a new Porsche, I am on the list, number 20, I really like the idea of exclusive, when they come available, How does it work, I want that spot, but would like exclusive also. I see you are getting a 2019 carrera t, lucky you
Old 10-30-2018, 02:39 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 1,758 Posts

if you embrace driving and using regenerative braking, the brakes wear far far less - but given that Porsche hasn't release the Taycan yet we can say for sure. I can say that for Tesla's an Bolts the brake wear is a non-issue if you use mostly regenerative braking. My Tesla Model S P85D with 52,xxx mile on it had virtually no pad/rotor wear.

brake maintenance should be less - we'll see for the Taycan - it certainly can be based on other EV's on the market.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:29 PM
Cpoarchy
Racer

Thanks, I was wondering about that, good to know, yeah you are right there are really many things we don't know about the taycan, read about a two door maybe also, but some exciting times. Everyone has been trying to get off fossil fuels as long as I can remember, solar power, hydrogen, Even some people doing it themselves converting, gas to hydrogen, finally getting distance on something besides gas has made a change, Who knows next they might have self driving cars some day.. just bein silly
Old 10-31-2018, 08:16 AM
lee88
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

Re: regenerative braking, definitely takes a little getting used to but I wouldn't be concerned about brake wear. Teslas let you adjust the level of braking that occurs when you lift off throttle (I have a S90D). My understanding is that Porsche is engineering the Taycan so that regenerative braking only occurs when you actually press the brake pedal, but we'll see how the system works when they actually start deliveries. You definitely use the actual brake pads/calipers a little less if you embrace regen as daveo4porsche said, flip side is that these full EVs are pretty heavy cars so when applying brakes there's a lot of mass being slowed.

Re: Porsche Exclusive... the very short version is that Porsche has had a long history of catering to clients custom preferences. Basically one could order special exterior or interior colors or other customized options through the factory's "Special Wishes" department. Things like "paint to sample" (PTS) have now become available across most Porsche models, but doing so is costly (>$10K+) and will lengthen the time it takes to actually get your car delivered. Porsche has also institutionalized other customization with the "Exclusive" department, which continues to try to cater to customer requests and has released a few unique model variants like the 911 Turbo S Exclusive. But again this takes time & money beyond a normal order, and while open to any customer Porsche Exclusive tends to work most closely with longtime customers who've purchased many new cars over the years.

Bottom line, IMO I personally wouldn't lose too much sleep over trying to do PTS or Exclusive options for the Taycan. The regular colors and wide variety of options available mean one can get a car pretty uniquely setup with what you want. Personally I also think that EV tech will continue to change and evolve pretty rapidly over the next 5-10 years. So if it were me and I was buying a pretty rare 911 variant (e.g. Speedster etc) that I intended to keep for a very long time, then I might go for Exclusive/PTS. But as much as I'm excited about the Taycan, my expectation is this is a car I will keep and use for a few years but probably won't hang onto forever.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:37 AM
Cpoarchy
Racer

Thanks, good information, yeah there is more I need to know about the exclusive program, just learning, but you have really helped. I think Porsche is smart with all the secrecy, who knows what they could be cooking up, but I am excited, having the first full electric Porsche, I live in a rural area and just saw a tesla model x yesterday, pretty cool, my wife said it was so small, I liked the looks of it. Evs are here to stay.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:00 AM
Cpoarchy
Racer

Default 800 volt camaro

Old 11-25-2018, 04:27 PM
Cpoarchy
Racer

Default Taycan and r8 had a baby, (fun with rendering)

Old 02-15-2019, 03:16 PM
Cpoarchy
Racer

Default Taycan to come in 911 colors. (Maybe..)

Quick Reply: Taycan / Mission E colors