Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tesla M3D review: split decision

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 11:54 PM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice write-up. As another GT3, gone Tesla owner, I had the chance to test drive a Model 3 Performance last week. No track mode, almost all clover leaf around the dealership, and one rotary. My P85D is among the 1:20 that are coil. It's down 1.25", with stock Bilsteins and the PXXD's fatter sway bars. I say all that because I got into the Model 3P knowing it's an 800 pound lighter ride, with high expectations for speed, and fun.

It may be a faster auto-x car, and have more track endurance, but I was a little disappointed in the "5 tenths" stuff, too. Two things really stuck out (or up).
  • M3P is 1cm lower, which ain't a lot. The car is basically high up, and I wouldn't be surprised if on the same (softer since intro) shock/springs as AWD Model 3. I say that, as Tesla used the same shock/coil part number for both P85D coil, and all later AWD coil Model S (I have a parts manual, in "right to repair" MA). It turned in great, with the lower inertia you'd expect, but the higher roll-center and especially the suspension compression, were somewhat disappointing for their "Performance" version. I didn't know there was no rear sway, in M3P, and have no doubt multiple suspension upgrade options will become available. Be wary about front camber not being very adjustable, if you plan on tracking (per Mountain Pass Performance). It reminds me of having to buy Fabcar arms (911).
  • Power. If you haven't had a ride in a heavy Tesla accelerating quickly, especially with a ~360KW rear motor, you might not understand the impression left behind when something that heavy rolls out. The numbers already show M3P isn't as quick, but without the weight it is also less impressive as a DD. Down more in power, than weight, is how I'd compare the two. But I'd add we also have a 75D, at home, that is more like M3P since front/back power are about the same. You don't get rear biased power in M3P's AWD, which is uncommon relative to how mechanical AWD performance cars typically use (what?), half, or less, the power in front as they do in back? ~250HP in back of a 4,000lb car isn't a lot, by today's standards. This goes a long way toward how I would describe the "5 tenths" thing. I didn't get too crazy, with an advisor on board, but the understeer I experienced had no nanny interference.
I don't know the fitment limits, but see history somehow repeating itself with an even faster Model 3 Performance. I think the simple AWD was smart, because Tesla already have a history of "updating" for better acceleration times in its AWD Model S. Buying it, with a suspension budget, would have been my plan before the M3P test drive affirmed it. If "Track mode" can't dial up the rear power (& lift-throttle regen), its other dividends may not cover the higher ask. We'll see.
The following users liked this post:
JB43 (08-31-2020)
Old 09-12-2018, 01:30 AM
Seneca035
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good stuff guys - love reading your posts Pete! I agree with the other Tesla owner sentiments in here.

Former Tesla vet here - was there 9 years! Had a Model S 90D but now in a M3 RWD. Love the more svelte size (compared to the S) for city living. I have a 70 round-trip every day and jump on the highway two blocks from home and set autopilot straight away. I have an 11XXX vin; there's a couple very minor paint flaws, the back up camera has not come on a couple times when engaging reverse (likely software), and the bluetooth has been spotty. But Tesla always improves build quality over time and these will go away. The current Model S/X are excellent in build quality, and 3 will get there quickly. I have grown to love the spartan interior and the maps/traffic is light years ahead of any OEM (Waze-style notifications would be even better like police, debris, etc).

Eagerly awaiting the production Taycan.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:13 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

This EV thing is just getting started - soooo much room for improvement - we are going to see rapid improvement over the next several years

https://electrek.co/2018/09/15/tesla...a-seca-record/

a Porsche Cayman passes during the lap so yeah well driven Porsche’s are still faster - but most drivers in most Porsche’s would be hard pressed to match this time - now all we need is full performance like this for an entire 30 min DE session we are !good to go

having driven laguna and instructed there with PCA GGR a mids 1:4x time is pretty good for any street car and most any driver - it takes real effort to break lower than that even in a GT3 with out mods and the number of drivers that can maintain that pace is pretty few...the model 3 in pure stock condition is in the mix of most production sports cars and most casual track drivers - this time would be faster than 95% of the people that I see on track in any Porsche at any particular event.

it would be really interesting to see what a shorter range Model 3 that weighed 200-400 lbs less could do - kinda like not filling up your fuel tank for weight!

and this wasn’t even with track mode!

Old 09-16-2018, 04:45 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

It’s the same lap time as a stock Chevy Cobalt SS and BMW 335i around that track. And it had Hoosiers on it and race pads/fluids...

I wouldn’t go writing folk songs about the car just yet.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:06 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
It’s the same lap time as a stock Chevy Cobalt SS and BMW 335i around that track. And it had Hoosiers on it and race pads/fluids...
You’re mistaking this for a different lap. This was a box stock Performance model on as delivered rubber:

“Lap in an un-modified Tesla Model 3 Performance on 9-14-18. Model 3 Performance w/Performance Upgrade Package on stock Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and stock brake pads.”

Lots of time left on the table. My money’s on it to go sub 1:40 in Randy’s hands with track mode enabled.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:54 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Yup, I was referring to the 1:48.7 turned by the RWD on Hoosiers. The Performance model turned a 1.46.8? Still in the same ballpark, about 1.5 seconds behind a Golf R. I'm sure RP could do better, but 7 seconds better? We'll see. If he beats his M4 lap time and can run a full session like that without overheating the battery and/or the brakes or having parts fall off, I'll be impressed. I'd still take the M4, but it would be an achievement. Laguna is a track that should favor the torquey car over pure speed.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:20 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Yup, I was referring to the 1:48.7 turned by the RWD on Hoosiers. The Performance model turned a 1.46.8? Still in the same ballpark, about 1.5 seconds behind a Golf R. I'm sure RP could do better, but 7 seconds better? We'll see. If he beats his M4 lap time and can run a full session like that without overheating the battery and/or the brakes or having parts fall off, I'll be impressed. I'd still take the M4, but it would be an achievement. Laguna is a track that should favor the torquey car over pure speed.
I seriously doubt the P3D will be able to run a full session at that pace. 4 laps maybe?

RP is good, but software will also be a game changer. Currently the music stops as soon as any wheel slip, lateral or longitudinal, is detected. That forces highly conservative laps with late power arrival out of the corners and mild to moderate understeer everywhere. If that’s addressed in software the car will be much quicker. The raw dynamics should be not dissimilar to the Nissan GTR- heavy, flat power-band with the opportunity for sophisticated torque vectoring. That car’s got better rubber and suspension for track work and it’s faster everywhere, but the raw numbers are not as different as you might assume. It’s a fast brick at 1:35...

As a former VW R and Audi S3 owner I can tell you the Model 3 Dual Moter is in an entirely different performance class- massively faster even without software changes, with far more to come if the track pack addresses certain shortcomings.

Last edited by Petevb; 09-17-2018 at 12:28 AM.
JB43 (08-31-2020)
Old 09-16-2018, 10:32 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Some 1/4 mile times run by amateurs suggest Tesla may be fudging some figures:

Base Long Range: 3838 lbs/ 271 hp (14.2:1) 1/4 mile 13.6 @ 102
Dual Motor: 4072 lbs/ 346 hp (11.8:1) 1/4 mile 12.7 @ 111
Performance: 4072 lbs/ 450 hp (9.0:1) 1/4 mile 11.8 @ 115

All of which sounds reasonable. However 1/4 mile trap speed can also be used to back-calculate power if weight is known. Doing that you would estimate actual hp as follows:

Base LR: 283 hp (+12)
Dual Motor: 383 hp (+37)
Performance: 435 hp (-15)

Obviously the power curves for electric cars are speed dependent, so there are many things that could be wrong, but it’s interesting.

Two other notes: my car’s been trouble free in 4K miles, but my brother in law’s Performance has not- it’s in the shop because autopilot is down. They gave him a P85D as a loaner.

Another note: apparently Tesla has a clause that can void the warranty not only for track use but also autocross. Makes you wonder what they think that track mode, suggested for use only on track, is good for?

Last edited by Petevb; 09-16-2018 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:47 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Autocross results from the Model 3 Performance are starting to come in. Some guy managed 5th overall out of 60+ cars in a San Diego region PCA event just behind the GT3 RS on Hoosiers.

http://results.pcasdr.org/event_stan...ate=2018-09-16

1:06.67 vs a top time of 1:05.13. No track mode yet, apparently the driver was not bothered by the stability control issues I experienced (surface, model, tires?). Smoother and more open course than I ran by the sound of it. About what I’d expect for the P, and very solid for a stock sedan on summer tires.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:21 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Petevb

I seriously doubt the P3D will be able to run a full session at that pace. 4 laps maybe?

As a former VW R and Audi S3 owner I can tell you the Model 3 Dual Moter is in an entirely different performance class- massively faster even without software changes, with far more to come if the track pack addresses certain shortcomings.
As a Golf R owner, I agree it’s no sportscar. Very fun but it’s no 911. Which is why I don’t get excited about any car remotely close to it performance wise being lauded as special.

Its easy to say the Model 3 is/will be faster than this or that, but until it’s proven on the race track, it’s just words. Let’s see it drop into the 1:30s at Laguna and sustain it for a session. If it can’t do that it’s just more Tesla ‘yeah but’ nonsense. What it willl do with XYZ updates isn’t relevant. As Nike says, just do it. Tesla’s history of over promising and under delivering leaves me skeptical until they prove it.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:25 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Its easy to say the Model 3 is/will be faster than this or that, but until it’s proven on the race track, it’s just words. Let’s see it drop into the 1:30s at Laguna and sustain it for a session.
The simple fact that the bar is now set at “sustain 1:30s at Laguna for a session” for a four door electric is pretty amazing. That’s harder than 99.9% of buyers could drive a car even if they wanted to. And the vast majority don’t want to.

My bar for a track car is high- the GT3 only just clears it. No car in the Model 3’s class (or thereabouts) I can think of meets my standard- no VW R, Audi S, or BMW M car (none of which could sustain 1:30s for a session either, by the way). To be honest for regular track use I can’t get most modern non-GT Porsche’s over the hump either.

Given that I have a couple track cars that do clear my hurdle I have no need or desire for the model 3 to do so as well, so even if it could take it I’d never push the Tesla that hard. The lap time only serves to give a rough indication of the performance envelope in harder use than I’ll ever subject it to, and measured that way it’s impressive and clearly on track to surpass many modern Porsche’s in a majority of ways.

To me the issue isn’t pace- these cars are rapid and only getting more so, and to deny this is foolish. Instead it’s back to involvement. Just because it’s fast doesn’t mean it’s truly fun. The reason I’ll never track the Model 3 is not because it can’t do it, it’s because I don’t want to. Why would I, when compared to the GT3 I’d be bored out of my skull. In my mind that’s the real argument at this point, unless you live on the autobahn or you’re looking to go endurance racing in a 4 door sedan class.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:04 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

I'm all for holding Tesla accountable and yes they do overpromise and underdeliver (except in the supercharger area - they just keep chugging along adding locations and stalls)…

but 1:30's in a 4 door street sedan @ laguna on street tires is a bit much in my opinion - a 1:3x lap time at laguna puts you in the advanced/open passing PCA GGR run group filled with GT3's and GT4's and the occasional cup car - there are not a lot of drivers that can do a 1:3x lap time at laguna - so for a mass market EV I don't see that as a requirement -it's in the 1:4x's @ laguna it's done - RP will probably do a 1:42.xx and track mode will probably move an advanced HPDE driver into the 1:44 zone - plenty fast for a $65k daily driver bone stock....I'm sorry I just consider this moving the goal post - it's not a sports cars, it's a premium performance sedan - and a 1:46 bone stock at Laguna puts it squarely in that mix

it's at 117 out of 147 in track times - http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna-seca-post-1988 - in most cases being driven by a race driver…asking the Model 3 to do a sub 1:40 lap time is asking it to match the performance of a 997 911 Turbo/GT3 (1:39.89 & 1:39.52 respectively) - if RP does a 1:42 or better then I think we get to remove the argument it's not a good performance car…

where we should/must hold Tesla/EV's accountable is in "stamina" - ok we've proven it can do a 1:46.xx lap time at laguna - with in the confines of street tires losing grip - I would agree we now need to see it do that for a full 20-30 minute typical HPDE session - with times falling off as the session progresses due to street tires and street brakes just like any other DD performance 3,800 lbs 4 door performance sedan…

1:36.xx lap time is a stripped 2018 GT3 as documented by ortho-Joe on this very forum and some wicked tires, alignment, brakes, and weight reduction - so you're calling for a Tesla Model 3 to match a stripped and fully prepped GT3? I'm crying foul on that requirement - 1:46 bone stock puts it in the mix - we're done on that standard - again I'll allow the stamina and full HPDE session requirement…it needs to be able to run for the full HPDE session time at near max performance - just like any other $60-70k performance 4 door sedan…

I've personally done a 1:38.xx at laguna in a '10 cup car - and the 2016 Pirelli West Coast series champion Robb Todd has done a 1:29.xx qualifying and maintains a 1:30/1.xx race pace for 1st place in 2016 in a '15 cup car fully prepped and dialed in…and driven very very well - all of these times were good enough to put him on pole in a very competitive field of cup cars- and take the overall championship in 2016…he was not lacking for competition (some much better funded than he was).

I do a 1:41.xx in my bone stock GT3 on street tires (Dunlops which I hate - I'm looking forward to being done with them and moving on to Michelins) and that puts me in the top 10% of GGR drivers with the only people faster are full race cars and fully prepped GT3's and GT4's - but I handily pass all but a few drivers at that pace - out of 140 cars at 2018 summer laguna GGR event only 25 cars in the advanced open passing group were running below 1:40's routinely and they were all hard core prepped and being driven very very hard…and I don't think a single one of them was on street tires.

but the progress has been breath taking and even compare this conversation to 1 year ago and if I had claimed the Model 3 would do a 1:46 at Laguna you guys would all be banning me from the forum...we are rapidly losing all the narratives as to why EV's suck (exhaust noise being the one place they will never match a gas car and some will lament that loss)…

so you don't get to demand a 1:3x lap time from a $60k performance 3800 lbs 4 door sedan bone stock before your are impressed - it's done, it's arrived - you do however get to demand it can do it for the full 20-30 minute session (which it can't currently) and you should probably talk to Laguna about installing some superchargers…cause I don't think it could do it all day long, but if it can do a 5 session HPDE day, turn 1:46's - the good news is there are 2 supercharger stations less than 10 minutes from Laguna (1100 Del Monte Center & 1901 Del Monte Blvd) that can top you off so you can drive home after exhausting your battery at your track day.

you do however get to demand 1:3x or better from Elon's vaporware $250k roadster 2

a lot of the anti-EV narratives are being knocked down one by one…and progress is accelerating - I'm optimistic for 5 years from now.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 09-17-2018 at 09:39 AM.
JB43 (08-31-2020)
Old 09-18-2018, 01:34 AM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Autocross results from the Model 3 Performance are starting to come in. Some guy managed 5th overall out of 60+ cars in a San Diego region PCA event just behind the GT3 RS on Hoosiers.

http://results.pcasdr.org/event_standings.php?time_format=0&database=&event_date=2018-09-16

1:06.67 vs a top time of 1:05.13. No track mode yet, apparently the driver was not bothered by the stability control issues I experienced (surface, model, tires?). Smoother and more open course than I ran by the sound of it. About what I’d expect for the P, and very solid for a stock sedan on summer tires.
Since I was at this event and got nipped by the Tesla by .25 second, I'll add my perspective to this. I was running the same tires on my street stock '15 GT3 (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S) as the Tesla, but with probably 15 more heat cycles on them. The Tesla driver (Jad Duncan) is one of the best drivers in the San Diego Region, having won class championships for over 20 years at both AX and Time Trial events, and voted outstanding driver and/or instructor in the region many times. He has not autocrossed much for several years now, preferring to concentrate on the big track events in his former 996 Koni Challenge car, but wanted to try out his new Tesla and brought it down to the stadium for a go. The Caymans and Boxster in the top three were all well-prepared, modified cars on RE-71R tires, with experienced drivers. The GT3RS in front of him was a fully prepared car modified with 19" rims running 295F/345R Hoosier R7 tires, but the driver is only in his second season of performance driving in this (or any other) car, and is still learning (it could have easily taken TTOD with Jad driving it). The course itself was very open for the first half, and quite tight and narrow for the second half. The surface is very old, worn, coarse asphalt with many holes and some patched areas that stand proud and make for a bumpy ride, with about 75' of elevation change between the top and bottom of the lot. Here is the proposed track map that was fairly heavily altered in real time to avoid bad patches of asphalt. The course was tightened up considerably from turn 17 on down, with 18, 19, 20 and 23 becoming narrow, 90-degree turns to slow down the finish. The first half of the course was even more open than shown, and I hit 3rd gear twice in that section, reaching close to 90 mph, I think.

The archived results in the link Pete posted exclude Exhibition class cars from the top-10, so you have to scroll down to the bottom to see the X-car times, where Jad is listed. Here is a screen shot from the live results web site that shows top times listed with X-cars as well. There was also a prepped Focus RS on Re-71Rs driven by another very experienced club member between Jad and I, so I was actually 7th top time overall. I felt OK about the result as I was coming off a case of food poisoning a couple days earlier, my tires were old, the sun was in my eyes, the course didn't suit me, etc. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :-)

Old 09-19-2018, 12:55 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

I'm paying less in insurance costs for my 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid than this article is claiming for the average insurance cost of a Model 3:

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...-study-claims/
Old 09-19-2018, 01:30 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cometguy
I'm paying less in insurance costs for my 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid than this article is claiming for the average insurance cost of a Model 3:

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...-study-claims/
That seems a little warped- I'm paying less than half what they found as average ($2814 annually) to insure my Model 3... That said I'm paying slightly less for insure my 2018 GT3 (with fewer miles).

Quick Reply: Tesla M3D review: split decision